What is the right time to end their life!!

jam1e

My poor little terrier Millie has terminal cancer of the liver and kidneys. The vet said she would last 4 to 6 weeks before it's time to send her on her way... This was 3 or 4 weeks ago...

But it's so difficult when she has good days as well as bad! Yes getting her to take her meds is hard, but thankfully, her pain meds go down easily...

Every morning for the last week I've expected to wake up and find that shes passed away. She looked terrible this morning, so unhappy. :unhappy: But then she was excited to go for a walk, and on returning she ate a whole boneless chicken leg. (She won't eat dog food) The vet just said, "you'll know when the time is right". But will I?? Shes always taken a dislike to men. But I think in part this was down to being rescued from a ***** site... She has come to "like" me at least!! And seems to know when i'm trying to help her.

Some days i think shes close, then the following day shes bouncing around my wife wanting to be walked!! It's a roller coaster ride to say the least!

I'm so confused, and worn out!

Sorry folks, just needed to share that...

James.

Edited by jam1e
spelling

James, been there too many times and I share your pain.  If your little dog is still enjoying life and the pain killers are helping with that then go from day to day, hour to hour.

My last dog Treacle was 14 and I knew the day had come. Fortunately my wife said, " I think your going to have to do something" and I made the call. I'd had so much companionship and fun from this old pal that paying for the vet to come out was not a consideration and he passed away in his own environment in the kitchen alongside his beloved log burner.  I believe you will know, but it doesn't get any easier even after the 14th believe me. They just don't live long enough.

The time is different with any dog or person. I usually go off when they look at you as if to say please dad. Its hearbreaking and my thoughts are with you and your family in this difficult time. Also can't fault you for having it done at home, I also wish I'd have chosen that last time. Good luck and all the best 

We decide when they won't eat no matter what you offer.

When their tail doesn't wag anymore and is tucked in.

When they don't want to go out.

Any or either of these. You will know.

The weeks left the Vet advises are just a guidline they could go longer or less.

Our GSD was diagnosed with cancer and we had another good 18 months, then she was ill and we had to let her go within 2 weeks.

It never gets any easier to let them go, but it is your final thing you can do for them.

She used to be mad on pate, sausage, ham, chicken slices, black pudding, all sorts of treats really. She had dog treats before this, but they were the first things she stopped eating, along with various dog foods...But we're down to just freshly cooked de-boned chicken now. But will only take it once a day now. Along with her medication. She's still happy to see immediate family members when they come home, and wags her tail. She also still likes going for a walk, albeit short ones. But she just looks so unhappy and stares at us in a way she never has before. Very upsetting to see.... I appreciate she's doing this as shes very unwell, and unhappy. But as shes eating, and happy to go for a walk, i don't think were quite there yet. It's going to be really tough when she does leave us. As it will be for our other dog. A small Spaniel type cross. When we take Millie to the vet Maisie pines badly, and even howls with her head in the air! That's going to make it worse!

Anyway, thanks for the kind comments and advice.

James

When the time comes let Maisie see Millie after she has passed so she knows shes gone. It will not make it any easier at the time, but she will know not to look for her.

If you wish to do it and want another dog, take Maisie down the rescue and see if she likes a new friend there. 

You have given a super home to Millie. Not everyone is prepared to home a dog and give them the time they need to settle when they are nervous and need lots of tlc. So often once someone has ruined a dog they get put down. You gave her a chance and a loving home.

the not leaving it to late really is sound advice, I'm sure with my old boy we could have waited but he was struggling to get up, quite a big lad and wasn't happy when you were helping him would grumble and try to get away which could mean him then falling over. As for food we had had him on biscuits and raw fed separately twice a day and he never missed a meal, on his final day he got breakfast as normal went for a walk just me and him, played around had a chat then the vets on the way home.

I'm bleeding blubbering in work now, damn dogs.

On 19/11/2017 at 23:12, jam1e said:

She used to be mad on pate, sausage, ham, chicken slices, black pudding, all sorts of treats really. She had dog treats before this, but they were the first things she stopped eating, along with various dog foods...But we're down to just freshly cooked de-boned chicken now. But will only take it once a day now. Along with her medication. She's still happy to see immediate family members when they come home, and wags her tail. She also still likes going for a walk, albeit short ones. But she just looks so unhappy and stares at us in a way she never has before. Very upsetting to see.... I appreciate she's doing this as shes very unwell, and unhappy. But as shes eating, and happy to go for a walk, i don't think were quite there yet. It's going to be really tough when she does leave us. As it will be for our other dog. A small Spaniel type cross. When we take Millie to the vet Maisie pines badly, and even howls with her head in the air! That's going to make it worse!

Anyway, thanks for the kind comments and advice.

James

This probably isnt what you want to hear, but if she was mine, I would be making the call now, no matter how hard it would be. I just couldnt see one of my dogs that unhappy if they were terminally ill.

Good luck with whatever you decide, I feel your pain:unhappy:

On 11/21/2017 at 17:49, steve d said:

This probably isnt what you want to hear, but if she was mine, I would be making the call now, no matter how hard it would be. I just couldnt see one of my dogs that unhappy if they were terminally ill.

Good luck with whatever you decide, I feel your pain

Hi M. I appreciate anyone's constructive views. I agree with you in principle. But despite all that i have said, she has perked up today.                 For example, we usually put some of her dried Wainwrights food in her dish with a little water. And since being unwell plenty of roasted chicken. But last night out of desperation we added some "Butchers Choice" wet food to the dried food and chicken. And the result was very good. She ate every bit of it, despite it being lased with her medication. She has picked up a bit today, which is good, despite what the end result will be. I suppose what i'm saying is things are ok for now. And i know this may mean just for today.....  The vet said, "when she stops eating and not wanting to go for a walk it's time". Despite what the vet says, I believe as her owners, were better "qualified" to know when the time comes. Having said that, were under no illusions, and know that day may even be tomorrow.

Thanks for your imput, it's very much appreciated.

Chaz. 

51 minutes ago, jam1e said:

Hi M. I appreciate anyone's constructive views. I agree with you in principle. But despite all that i have said, she has perked up today.                 For example, we usually put some of her dried Wainwrights food in her dish with a little water. And since being unwell plenty of roasted chicken. But last night out of desperation we added some "Butchers Choice" wet food to the dried food and chicken. And the result was very good. She ate every bit of it, despite it being lased with her medication. She has picked up a bit today, which is good, despite what the end result will be. I suppose what i'm saying is things are ok for now. And i know this may mean just for today.....  The vet said, "when she stops eating and not wanting to go for a walk it's time". Despite what the vet says, I believe as her owners, were better "qualified" to know when the time comes. Having said that, were under no illusions, and know that day may even be tomorrow.

Thanks for your imput, it's very much appreciated.

Chaz. 

:) Glad to hear it

1 hour ago, loriusgarrulus said:

As its in her liver and kidneys keep an eye out for her holding her tummy or back tense and tight. This is usually a sign of pain in that area and will show her painkillers are no longer working effectively.

Thanks for the reply Loriusgarrulus, That is a good post! As today, out of the blue, when we stroked her back very lightly she arched her back right up! First time shes done it was today, but has done a few times when touched on the back. Needless to say we don't do that now.  From memory she's on 25mg of Tramadol 3 times a day. But after around a week she did start to look tensed up so i upped the dose to 50mg 3 times a day. The vet said that wasn't a good idea as it's an Opioid  and her appetite may drop, which it did. So we went back to 25mg. I'll call the vet again tomorrow, and get something sorted. Oddly though, she still jumps off the sofa with no visual signs of discomfort. We bought her a pouffe some time back before she was ill, just to help her get on and off the sofa due to her age.  But the stubborn old *ugger will only use it to get on the sofa.

Many thanks.

Jamie

Edited by jam1e

Ask the Vet if its ok to up the dose overnight after she's eaten. She will get a better night and its effects will have less effect on appetite during the day.

8 hours ago, jam1e said:

Thanks for the reply Loriusgarrulus, That is a good post! As today, out of the blue, when we stroked her back very lightly she arched her back right up! First time shes done it was today, but has done a few times when touched on the back. Needless to say we don't do that now.  From memory she's on 25mg of Tramadol 3 times a day. But after around a week she did start to look tensed up so i upped the dose to 50mg 3 times a day. The vet said that wasn't a good idea as it's an Opioid  and her appetite may drop, which it did. So we went back to 25mg. I'll call the vet again tomorrow, and get something sorted. Oddly though, she still jumps off the sofa with no visual signs of discomfort. We bought her a pouffe some time back before she was ill, just to help her get on and off the sofa due to her age.  But the stubborn old *ugger will only use it to get on the sofa.

Many thanks.

Jamie

The other sign to look for is pale gums and pale maybe blue ears. This could be a sign of internal bleeding due to rupture in the liver of the tumour.

Our terrier had no previous sign of illness, then he had this. It was advanced liver cancer. A tumour had ruptured and he had internal bleeding. He was only eight.

It's difficult and although you wake up hoping that nature has claimed her to the great kennel in the sky, you have to do what is right for the dog. Once she starts to suffer it is too late.

Although heartbreaking for all the time has come to let her lead this time!

I really feel for you after losing two dogs in less than a year, but take solace in the fact that if there is an afterlife she will be there waiting.

R

Thanks folks. As already stated, i appreciated the replies. I was aware of the pale gums, but not ears. I was also told to look out for the whites of her eyes starting to look yellow, as in jaundice. Going on the fact that she doesn't get off the sofa to greet us in the morning any more, i presume the late night dose of tramadol has worn off by the morning. Since upping her dosage of pain relief, she has stopped arching her back when being stroked. But we could only get her to eat fresh roast chicken today, lased with her medications. And not much of it anyhow... She looks so depressed, and i can't put her through any more possible suffering. Going on her behaviour today we've decided to have the vet out to put her to sleep early this coming week. Hopefully Monday.... It was a very tearful discussion with my wife and daughter today, and also as i'm typing now to be blatantly honest.... She never really took to males due to her previous abuse, but i love her the same as i have all the other dogs in my lifetime. This will leave us with one Spaniel cross. It will be hard on her too, as she howls and pines terribly , when Millie visits the vets just for her annual jabs. 

Anyhow, thanks folks.

Jamie