Game cartridges

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I rate black gold and the slightly more expensive dark storm. 

I ordered some of the new(ish) on the market express supreme super duper turbo power cartridges. They are very nice to shoot. 

Going to stick with both.  28gm 6 black gold for sensible stuff and express 32gm 5 for sky rockets and walked up. 

Gotta admit I’ve been converted to the hard shot types now, used Eley zenith 36g 4’s in Wales and they were brilliant! Also used the new RC nickel shot in 32g 5 equally as good on the slightly lower birds. Been using the nickel ones in 30g 6 for the local low flying Suffolk birds, even converted a few others to them. Got the zenith 30g 6 coming next week as well to try. 

All the hard shot cartridges are about £10 a box, but if that’s £2.50 a box more than you normally spend, is it really that much extra to pay if your paying £250-400 for a days shooting?? 

15 hours ago, redial said:

I wanted to buy some paper cased this season. Just for old times sake. I used to follow my Uncle around the fields picking up his spent cartridges and sniff them all the way home. Unfortunately, I haven't seen any on sale.

Hull  3 crown are available in paper cases.

On one of the shoots I go on , the most consistent shot by far use clear pigeon 30 grms plastic wad , whatever cartridge is used it still have to be put in the right place, and is there really that much difference for a standard price cartridge, to one in the top of the price range bracket ?

I wonder how many people could tell what there favourite cartridge is if it was mixed with half a dozen different ones that were all put in the same case with no names on them ,,, I know I couldn't .

I have just gone back to Eley Impax. Killed 50 per cent of the pheasants I shot at yesterday, which is a good rate for me (and indeed for most driven game Shots). Good clean kills at normal ranges and a pleasure to shoot. I won’t use anything heavier for game in the future.