Shooting from a boat

landy george

I'd set up on the ebbing tide on a bright sunny Essex day yesterday & I see in the distance a cruise boat coming up the main channel towards me.

The 2 blokes on it get out their binoculars to see what I'm doing.

They slow up & in broke English ask if I'd shot anything yet, no as I've only just set up was my reply.

One of them then said "we have 3 ducks" & the other holding up a decoy.

Where did you shot them I ask, from the boat was their reply..............I'm looking forward to your replies

2 hours ago, 6.5x55SE said:

Not IF the outboard motor/engine is attached to the boat 

That in my opinion is incorrect :yes:........ Look up the definition of 'immediate pursuit' - hardly fitting for a boat tied up or at anchor

Spoken to BASC about it in the past and their belief is that the law is aimed stopping the chasing down of wildfowl with a boat whilst under propulsion.

2 hours ago, lancer425 said:

Motor can be on but not be used to power into fowl or in direct persuit of fowl, Some cover the motor up but its not needed how can you lift off a inboard or a bigger outboard?

Some clubs insist on it - Not a good idea at all IMO

21 minutes ago, guy baxendale said:

That in my opinion is incorrect ........ Look up the definition of 'immediate pursuit' - hardly fitting for a boat tied up or at anchor

Spoken to BASC about it in the past and their belief is that the law is aimed stopping the chasing down of wildfowl with a boat whilst under propulsion.

I imagine even the most pedantic of clubs would remain proportionate in that given the case of larger outboards or inboard motors allowances would be made. as you rightly say its powering into fowl that’s the key here, this rule is in place to help prevent the obvious not as a stick to beat the responsible  sports person  with in my opinion.

1 hour ago, guy baxendale said:

That in my opinion is incorrect ........ Look up the definition of 'immediate pursuit' - hardly fitting for a boat tied up or at anchor

Well i live very close to the Ouse Wash's and after seeing plenty of Captain Pugwash's afloat i admit probably 20 yrs ago i phoned BASC.

There words NOT mine 

You may use a powered boat to assist you to point of shooting where if shooting from the boat the motor engine must be removed But if you anchor the boat to shoot from a platform the motor engine may be attached.

The reason being ( as i witnessed hence why i called BASC ) to stop people or temptation to chase Wildfowl across water .

I will stand corrected as I'm not up to speed with boating/ shooting law as I've no interest or intention of pursuing Wildfowl in any sort of boat.

:good:

the other point about permission etc, crown leases only cover down to the low water mark.   a main channel one would expect to lie below that so who have they permission from?   not that much water below the tides are owned privately, although some is.

I think the real issue here is whether or not our "continental" friends actually had Consent to shoot from NE.

Without it, much of the other opinion is a bit of a red herring.

Some clubs might have their own, self imposed, restrictions on shooting from a boat with an outboard mounted on it but the law, and the BASC web site wildfowling page are quite specific that the offence under the Wildlife and Countryside Act is committed if a mechanically powered VEHICLE, it doesn`t specify a boat, is used in immediate pursuit of wildfowl.

So, if you`re not in immediate pusuit, i.e. chasing birds, then leave the outboard mounted. Remove it by all means if you want to be doubly sure that you`re above critiscism, but you really don`t have to by law.