.177 FAC ?

22 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

Yes but to hit your target we some times have to aim off to the side to allow for a cross wind .So you are "aiming to miss " but actually hit .if you see what I mean  

I know, but with experience it just comes naturally. I might aim of but I still aim to hit, kill.

The old saying “that was a lucky shot” yes “the more I practice the luckier I become!”

Edited by Fisheruk

FAC .177 Not for Gray Squirrels unless Head Shots only. Body shots results in Runner's, to Die in Bushes later. .22 .25 Body Shot's Work's a Treet & They drop like a Stone. Don't be fool'ed by El Gamo Advert's in USA, 1400psi W/5.0 gr .177 **** right thru Gray Squirrel's and Run Away. Waste of Time Hunting and Wavein By to Them.....Franky

1 hour ago, Mice! said:

Here we go, every topic turns into which penetrates more ?? ?? ?

Sorry mice to bring it up again mate .

But the above isnt .opinion or guessed at theory. It's just simple physics easily witnessed by anybody with a gun to see for them selves. 

So why someone states the opposite to these simple rules of ballistics gets my goat .a new shooter could read it and take it as gospel. (Probably as happy shooter did )and then pass it on. 

It has to be stopped. 

Rant over. 

As Fisher UK says above ..177 fac very effective and smacks quarry down very hard. 

As is my experience. 

I don't mind stu, I've never shot live quarry with a .177 only .22 and shotgun, and rats with a catapult but I'll discount the latter.

I've always thought that .177 did penetrate more and .22 hits harder, but given wot I have read on other threads and the similar debates on deer rifles and calibres I'm quite happy with a bigger projectile travelling slower penetrates more, but I guess some people still believe that the world is flat.

1 hour ago, Ultrastu said:

But the above isnt .opinion or guessed at theory. It's just simple physics easily witnessed by anybody with a gun to see for them selves. 

• 3 weeks later...

I've had several .22 fac air guns and a daystate air ranger extreme .25 cal. They all kill stuff.

or wound if you don't get the right spot

ive gone back to .177 sub 12 ftlb 

for most of my shooting its adequate, shot placement with any airgun is key.

i really didn't find much of an advantage having a very powerful airgun.

i can't see the point in .177 at fac levels, 

I now have both 177 and 22 and shoot the heavier 177s because they are more accurate but they also do the job very well.  Only just come back to air, but have shot hundreds of big animals with various calibres and even if you hit right on the button, #### happens and you'll get a runner. I have flattened a few tree rats in their tracks with my TX200 177 out to 40yrds(measured) also I have hit a few and they have done a runner, climbed a tree and then collapsed.  A deer smacked through both lungs and heart will often run 30-40yrds as if untouched and then rear up and collapse stone dead, bled out completely. Had one fallow buck, hit 150 grain Norma right in that little dimple between the front legs where all the pipework runs at 50yrds. It turned and ran down the bank through the wood.  I gave it 15 mins then followed and every time that deer had hit the ground with it's front feet there looked like a bucket of blood it began to turn which they often do as they dry out and I heard a deep groan behind me.  I found that deer stone dead and then paced back to where it was hit.... 180 paces and I'm 6ft plus. The heart/lungs and liver were mush.    Believe me, shoot enough and you will find there are no absolutes in this game.

Edited by Walker570