Who for shooting insurance?

Seadog1408

1 hour ago, Seadog1408 said:

So who do our members mostly use for shooting insurance?, I am with BASC at the moment but if I could trim the cost but keep the cover offered I would be happy. 

Mike

If you do a search you will see this has been covered many times on here.

CA and NGO are cheaper but you can be insured directly through their underwriters, which is cheaper still.

Cheaper is not always better. Last time checked, most non-BASC membership organisation insurance was "last resort", which means you have to declare your other policies (home, etc) and/or state that none of them could cover you, before they will take up your claim. Worth checking that detail.

As for going direct, well, you could, and it might save you the same cost as a round of drinks, or a driven pheasant or two.  But I reckon every shooting person should join a shooting or fieldsports organisation of their choice anyway, for the furtherance of the sport. I don't hear of commercial insurance companies taking youngsters out shooting...

• 2 weeks later...

BASC is more than just insurance. When I was looking to be elected to council I spent a bit of time looking at what they do and they do a huge amount behind the scenes. I am sure this also applies to the CA and NGO. So my take is that if you do field sports for goodness sake support one of the organisations. An ordinary insurance company will not fight for your sport.

David.

On 06/12/2017 at 09:53, norfolk dumpling said:

My household insurances cover me, my family living with me and my guns. Most insurers do but don't assume as I think Co-op don't. Sadly to remain in one of my syndicates I have to have BASC membership too but I'm not sure we get VFM here in deepest Norfolk. 

Home contents insurance cover all my firearms, under 'sporting goods'. All I had to do was list the more expensive ones.

On 06/12/2017 at 10:04, Kalahari said:

BASC is more than just insurance. When I was looking to be elected to council I spent a bit of time looking at what they do and they do a huge amount behind the scenes. I am sure this also applies to the CA and NGO. So my take is that if you do field sports for goodness sake support one of the organisations. An ordinary insurance company will not fight for your sport.

David.

+1

This you have to have BASC cover because they do so much for our sport really annoys me. 

My advice is to, within reason, buy the cheapest cover you can get, then with the money you have saved join the GWCT. They do far more to protect and represent the interests of shooters. 

Nobody is forcing anybody to joining BASC - although the fact that it now has more than 150k members peaks for itself.  But buying cheap insurance-only cover means you are diverting money into the hands of profit-making commercial orgs, who disburse the profits to their shareholders,  as opposed to  no-for-profit shooting orgs, like BASC, CA, NGO, SACS, SGA etc, who reinvest for the good of the sport.  I reckon shooting folk should join the shooting org of their choice and also donate to the GWCT. There are a few selfish freeloaders and cheapskates within our ranks, I reckon.

BTW, the GWCT (fine org that it is - I am a long-standing member) would be horrified it anybody accused it of "representing the interests of shooters"  - that's exactly the charge the antis throw at it. In reality, the GWCT is a  scientific conservation research charity, which produces evidence which may well aid the defence of shooting, but stands on its own scientific merits.