Airbags

walshie

Mrs W had a fairly heavy front end crunch in her car yesterday. She had nearly stopped but the bloke coming the other way just ploughed into her. I think the car is written off as it's done the bonnet, front valance, bumper, grill and both wings. It's definitely bent something underneath too.  None of the airbags went off, so how hard does the impact need to be to set them off?

Edited by walshie

If they are actually turned on, they can be hit pretty hard to make them go off.

Sorry to hear that!

with Modern cars crumple zones and such can make this happen less at times, if a cars airbags have gone of its generally been a good old thump it has, Don’t want em going off for every little tap they hurt they do .

Edited by lancer425

I work in a body shop and We had a car come in that had been involved in a accident were the air bags didn’t go off. We drove the car onto the ramp ready for me to strip for inspection in the morning then went home.  On arrival back at work in the morning we had found the air bags had gone off over night while there was no one there. 

6 minutes ago, crossy 666 said:

I work in a body shop and We had a car come in that had been involved in a accident were the air bags didn’t go off. We drove the car onto the ramp ready for me to strip for inspection in the morning then went home.  On arrival back at work in the morning we had found the air bags had gone off over night while there was no one there. 

The fire service won’t go near a car that’s been involved in a collision and the airbags not deployed until all airbags have been secured. More injuries are caused by delayed airbags firing than you’d imagine. 

As memory serves 

Impact needs to be within 60°of dead centre vehicle travelling over 19mph and below a certain rate of deceleration 

I also work in a body shop and have never seen or come across delayed activation (30 years give or take in big busy shops)

Not saying it doesn't hapoen but ive never come across it 

I had an accident a couple years ago I was  braking from 70 I hit the car at about 30mph, front end collision and no airbags deployed. I could not open the door to get out as everything had been pushed back, bumper, bonnet, radiators and headlights were obliterated, could actually see the crumple zone in the chassis. Recovery and police were suprised no airbags went off. 

I have never seen a delayed deployment of air bags in the bodyshop! But that’s not to say it’s never happened right enough! are you sure someone wasn’t trying to write the car off? 

I have seen seen a car that it’s airbags should have deployed in but didn’t as the wire behind the crash sensor was cut through as part of the accident! 

I think the reality of the situation is that if you smashed your head off the steering wheel then the airbag never deployed right, if your air bag deployed then that’s fine, but if your in an accident and you never hit your head off the steering wheel then the airbag was not required! 

I wrote the wife's car off years ago i was on the slip road going on to the forth road bridge it was heavy rain i touched the brakes and aqua planed into a van in the middle lane bounced off it and hit a pillar  the police came got me out ran it off the bridge and left me on a side road waiting for recovery with no front end on the car and not one air bag went off