Shared peg - Driven shooting

Salmo9

With costs forever escalating, I wondered if this was a feasible, agreeable option.. ie you and a pal buy a days driven shooting.. Your pal then shoots the even drives and you shoot the odd drives with each stuffing and proffering advice, praise and usual ridicule when not on the gun, so to speak.

This would allow you and said pal to still enjoy all that goes with a full blow driven day but at half the cost.. Is this happening out there.?

cheers - Salmo..

I have hosted days where two Guns have shared a peg and have a few pointers:

Let the prospective shoot hosts know of your plans well in advance as there may be objections. 

The fairest way to share is to have one or two shots then change. This avoids the likelihood of one of you getting a quiet drive.

Never have two loaded Guns at the same time.

As has been said no stuffing.

Share the cost equally. The same goes for the tip.

2 minutes ago, JDog said:

I have hosted days where two Guns have shared a peg and have a few pointers:

Let the prospective shoot hosts know of your plans well in advance as there may be objections. 

The fairest way to share is to have one or two shots then change. This avoids the likelihood of one of you getting a quiet drive.

Never have two loaded Guns at the same time.

As has been said no stuffing.

Share the cost equally. The same goes for the tip.

I have known this to to have been the case several times on a shoot I used to beat on, on one occasion this approach was used for giving the second gun his first taste of driven game shooting and  the cost was shared equally and also both people tipped. The keeper seemed happy enough.

I see it quite frequently and as said it allows the day to be enjoyed by two people. I did it myself last season when I had a friend over from Texas.  I have never found it to intervene in my days enjoyment, in fact it adds to the banter. I could see if all 8/9/10 guns decided to share then they would have to build bigger gun buses.  Usually guns shoot a drive about, but sometimes shoot until they hit a bird then change.

I have shared a driven pheasant day with my son, I cleared it with the shoot captain in advance, in the event I didn't shoot, it was my sons first driven day, he did well with 10 birds to his own gun, I enjoyed watching him shoot, more than if I had shot myself! Since then we have shared a walked up Grouse day, where he got a few birds including a right and a left and shared a butt on a smallish, but no limit driven Grouse day! All cleared beforehand with the shoot organiser and the head keeper.

If done with sportsmanship and consideration for others, it's fine..............you know that because you get invited back!

A friend and I have done this several times. It started when he had a foot operation and was unable to get to some of the drives, on crutches. I went as loader/gun bearer for him, but drew the line at carrying his crutch. I then shot the drives he was unable to get to. He is now training a young dog, so we have taken a day next month where we will shoot alternate drives. We always check with the shoot Captain beforehand, but it has never been an issue and we have never been asked to pay for the extra lunch, even though we offer. We just leave a decent tip for the caterer. We simply divide the cost of the day equally between us, tipping the keeper accordingly.

This is what me and a friend have done for two seasons. We couldn't afford a peg each but a half gun was fine. We flip a coin first thing in the morning to decide who gets the first drive and then alternate from there.

We usually load for one another but this season the drive we aren't shooting we usually stand with a young lad just starting out  which is nice to encourage the youth.

Couple of things, you need to make sure it is a friend because jealousy is a terrible thing, sometimes you will get all the rubbish pegs and sometimes they will.

We shoot 8 days approx 50 birds a day so it does even itself out over the season.

• 2 months later...

I’ve done half gun and shared the drives with the same mate a few times on paid days. Never on a syndicate though. 

One shoots one beats that’s how we’ve always done it. Meet after the drive swap gun for a length of hazel. 

If there’s drives one after each other we tended to just carry on then when we met up swap the gun over. 

Usually one of you gets some better drives but the next time we would do it the other way. £120 plus tip for the day is better than £240

• 1 month later...

I have shared a peg, usually with a novice.  Last season when I did it he shot 95% of the time which is as it should be as I can oversee and advise which birds are his and which to leave alone.  I am a co captain so can plan but if a member was doing that while I would have no objections at all I would want to know re catering etc.

A

I am a shoot Captain.

Had a couple of clowns buy a day from my syndicate some years ago.   They wanted to share the peg and I was happy with that.  They agreed to pay the extra hospitality.

They thought that sharing meant that they could both have guns out and loaded and would take turns to shoot - while the other reloaded of course - that is what they did for the first drive while I was on stop duties.   The syndicate exploded with wrath - quite rightly.   There was a monumental argument.   They went home immediately and we didn't get paid. 

I learnt from this.   Get the ground rules sorted out before the day and shoot one drive each or change over, just once, in the middle of the drive.   I would not accept anything else unless it was one of my fully paid up members coaching his son or something of that sort.

Do it all the time with my daughter. We obviously agree it in advance with the estate, my syndicate members always accepted it. We just take alternate drives and if one is quiet you stand on the next as well. It is all about consent of the host and sporting behaviour of the participants. I have a freind who does the same with grouse to keep the costs manageable.

I also pickup on a very large and we'l known estate and see it all the time, guns alternating between drives or swapping over part way through. You just don't stand with a loaded gun if not shooting.