Opinions on Starter Set-up?

evolution380

Hi All,

Been looking at getting all the gear together for Decoying, I just want a simple set-up to get me started which I'll add to in the future should I decide to (flappers, magnets etc.) so I'm looking at the following:

Anything i've overlooked or any better recommendations of gear please let me know:

Hide, Poles & Decoys:

Been looking at A1 Decoys and UK Shooter Warehouse and think i've decided to go for this UK Shooter Warehouse package which i'll upgrade to the stealth 2 ply camo net for the extra £5.

http://www.ukshootwarehouse.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_64&product_id=568

Seat:

I actually bought one of these from decathlon the other day along with a heavy duty Mora Companion Knife: It's only cheap and cheerful however it seems capable of lobbing 100 cartridges or so in along with gloves hat and a drink and chucking on my back.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/backpack-chair-camo-id_8339715.html

Decoy & Pigeon Sack:

I was going to buy 2 x of these, one for the decoys and one to chuck the quarry in.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/decoy-bag-300-id_3324627.html

Really I was hoping that would cover it so i'm not lugging too much gear about?

You'll need 4 poles and as long as they stick in the ground and are straight they will do the job  

a net (2 really if there stealth nets or you'll be limited to where you can set up as they are a bit see through in the sun on their own)

about 12 shell decoys.

Something to sit on - a bucket seat is ideal.

A bag to carry it all in with room for a flask etc. I use aldi bags for life to carry shot birds in as they fit in pockets of my began.

Rotarys can be great so don't wait till later. Get one as soon as you can or you'll miss it. 

You'll add all sorts of stuff that weighs lots and you won't need but to start that will get you going in most situations.  

The links didnt work for me .

But. Buy a surplus army Bergen  ( big one with extra pockets .)if you have to walk to your field .

12 shells. And sticks 

Stealth net .

For poles you can just use 4 garden  canes or I use telescopic walking sticks . Sprayed green . (Got em very cheap )

Stealth net. 

I'd go with a flapper over a magnet .

Much cheaper, lighter .smaller .works just as well sometimes better .

For a seat is find something that swivels .I have a cheap office chair (£20 ) from Argos . That's very comfy all day. But it bulky to carry .So use that only when I can drive to my hide .

Rest of the time I use a a1  decoys .folding pigeon chair that spins .

Again if walking you need space and to be not too loaded to carry shot pigeons out. 

Travel light  if you can 

In addition to what Ultrastu has listed;

If you can get an Army Surplus Bergan that is the "Long Back" 100 Litre version with two 10 Litre Pockets it will accept a 25 Litre plastic oil drum which with the top cut out and a piece of foam fitted to the base becomes your seat for the hide and your decoy shells fit in it when in your bergan.

When you find camouflage nets you are happy with buy 5 metre lengths, better to have a little extra rather than not quite enough.

The nets you acquire will fit in the pockets of the bergan.

As for hide poles, Morrison's sell telescopic washing line props for £2 each, so all your hide poles for £8.

1 minute ago, old'un said:

What do you do if there is no ditch?

welllll............................if you are like me....im always digging a hole for myself.............

seriously now....i have in the past used a telegraph pole to hide behind................dosnt matter what you use...just keep still until the last moment...........

12 minutes ago, ditchman said:

welllll............................if you are like me....im always digging a hole for myself.............

seriously now....i have in the past used a telegraph pole to hide behind................dosnt matter what you use...just keep still until the last moment...........

Bloody hell you must be thin, but I know what you mean about traveling light and keeping it simple, cant carry the same amount of gear I could when I was younger, the going out trip is just about manageable but coming back with a bag full of pigeons is now a double trip or sometimes three if the ground is heavy under foot.

Thanks all! I'm tempted to drop Wingnut a message as he's near me and he seems to have a good starter set-up for Sale.

Took some other advice on board, been trawling the army surplus websites and it's a new addiction! There's some great stuff, bought a big Bergen as described so that will be handy!

i'll look into getting a flapper also as that seems to be a common suggestion!