HW30 tuning

Dangerous Brian

Hi All

My daughter shoots with a .177 HW30 which is a lovely little gun doing about 6fpe. The gun fits her nicely so I would like to hold on to it. Does anyone have any experience recommendations to make tuning one of these without spoiling it? I don't want to make an anti tank gun out of it but would like to flatten the trajectory out a little with a bit more pace.

Cheers

Brian

Thanks for your thoughts guys.

I had a HW99 but she found it a bit too heavy which was a shame as it was a good little gun as well (might get back to one of those in a year or two).

I have tried a couple of different pellet weights through the HW30 which make quite a difference at the muzzle. the Falcon accuracy plus should be better again on that front being lighter. According to Chairgun the heavier pellets lose less speed so arrive slightly sooner (which makes sense if they start out slower) but I have yet to have a play to see the difference first hand. Looks like some pellet packs need to be ordered.

I have a .177 hw30 .It's lovely to shoot. 

It makes 6 fpe with falcons and about 4 fpe  max  with anything else .

So if your gun is making 6 fpe  with say 8.4 grns. Then expect quite an energy increase with the falcons. 

I looked at trying to increase the energy in mine. It wasent worth it. It's spook accurate and lovely to shoot as is. It would ruin that .

I have more powerful guns .the hw30 is best left alone 

Ps 6 fpe will drop rabbits all day long out to 25 yds. 

4 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

I have a .177 hw30 .It's lovely to shoot. 

It makes 6 fpe with falcons and about 4 fpe  max  with anything else .

So if your gun is making 6 fpe  with say 8.4 grns. Then expect quite an energy increase with the falcons. 

I looked at trying to increase the energy in mine. It wasent worth it. It's spook accurate and lovely to shoot as is. It would ruin that .

I have more powerful guns .the hw30 is best left alone 

Ps 6 fpe will drop rabbits all day long out to 25 yds. 

Sounds similar. We get 6fpe with Superdomes and 5 1/2 with slightly heavier FTTs. Probably best to leave it alone as you suggest as it is only for knock down targets. I would hate to ruin the way it shoots. 

Thanks Guys

• 4 weeks later...
On 21/11/2017 at 13:26, Dangerous Brian said:

Hi All

My daughter shoots with a .177 HW30 which is a lovely little gun doing about 6fpe. The gun fits her nicely so I would like to hold on to it. Does anyone have any experience recommendations to make tuning one of these without spoiling it? I don't want to make an anti tank gun out of it but would like to flatten the trajectory out a little with a bit more pace.

Cheers

Brian

i have this kit fitted in my hw3o,mine is a .22 running at 7.5 ftlbs.you can up the power a bit with the power bands supplied.hth

• 3 weeks later...

You know when you have an itch and just have to scratch it....

Curiosity got the better of me and A Vorket kit got fitted. Power is up a little bit (about where I was told to expect it) but the interesting thing is power seems to be pretty consistent across the different pellets tried. The Falcons (Good shout Ultrastu) are the quickest which should reduce pellet drop but I am not sure how they will do in a crosswind being so light. Hopefully when I get a bit of light and a drop in wind I can have a look at grouping them all.

All the best

Brian

Capture.JPG

I tuned a HW30s .177 with some shortened parts of a partly used 25mm HW50 Vortek-kit.
Spring, parts of rear guide, top hat and Vortek piston seal.
Clean, debur, polish and MoS2-regrease as always plus some barrel bore polish awa trigger tune.

Resulting in 8+fpe with any tested pellet (836! measured shots with 29 different pellet types and/or sizes) and a very nice shooting manner.
Best pellet was JSB Exact Express 4,52 / 7,9 gr (381 measured shots) producing
8,5 fpe / 697,6 fps / max dev 2,8% / std dev 3,8 fps

Scoped I could easily hold 20mm groups at 30 m shooting seated with foreshaft on stockhand on Caldwell but maybe the small gun was little bit over powered. Main problem for accuracy at this airgun was the ball barrel lock. Initially it wasn't closing repeatingly properly - as I had to find out due to improper fitting of cocking rod thus resulting in galling at the underside of the sys-tube and early stopping of barrel locking process. Quite some grinding off the uper sides of the cocking links solved the problem.

Still think that this gun was quite a lemon but after a lot of work and pellet testing it shot quite decently.
Anyway - no intention to touch one of those anymore.

Edited by pelletcaster