Taking birds from behind.

JDog

Most decoying men tell me that this is their favourite position. It is not mine. I prefer the full frontal approach with a good wind from behind and pigeons entering the pattern from straight on or from either side.

Today I shot facing a 15 mph wind. Either that or I didn't shoot at all. What I did not want to do was to send the sound of the shot into the resting woods where there were a great many pigeons. Pigeons coming out of the wood would approach my decoys and rotary with very little notice. In the end I had to put the rotary 60m from the hide in order to give myself a split second extra in which to mount and shoot. I did not do very well for a start until I gave myself a strict talking to. My reactions are not what they were.

I picked 55 pigeons, every one of them stuffed full of gleaned barley. The second picture shows my hide position with a generous backdrop of netting to prevent me being seen by approaching pigeons.

DSC07815.jpg

DSC07814.jpg

Edited by JDog

11 minutes ago, Whitebridges said:

......and me. Reported as " every one of them stuffed full of gleaned barley". Barley from the fields or perhaps from pheasant rides / duck ponds? 

Just wondered, that's all.     

There are seven fields of barley stubble on one farm. At the moment there are upwards of 600 pigeons feeding there all day long. 

There may be a few less after tomorrow.

good day that well done ,they are still on old stubble in one area we shoot and about the same amount 600 or more in the area but 5 stubble fields to go    we managed 38 the other day split up to keep them moving but when they are moving in flocks like rape birds    its difficult as we all know to get on terms with them

3 hours ago, matone said:

Hope it dries up for you ! 

:lol:

Edited by yickdaz

With the late harvest in various counties up and down the country there must still be quite a few stubbles left untouched , sadly ours is not one of the counties , I know of one Spring barley stubble within a 15 mile area from mine , all our Winter barley stubbles were pulled up overnight and have now got 18 inches or rape on all of them.

As for taking birds from behind , what a pity , my memory bank is locked from that era and as far as I know , the key have been chucked away:no: