Advice on .20 fac power level

louisvanhovell

Hi, I've recently acquired a BSA Firebird pcp with .20, .22 and .25 barrels. It's a lovely gun, with adjustable power (I live in Holland where there are no power limits :-). I use a Hawke Airmax 2-7x32 AO scope, on low mounts. I'm now using the .20 barrel, with JSB Exact's, 13.73 gr, at 14 ft/lbs (approx. 680 ft/s). This gives me a pretty flat trajectory at a 25m zero (half mildot holdover at 40m). I get about 15 consistent shots per fill, which Is low but not a problem as I can top up three times with my Superten buddy bottle, which is light and small enough to carry around in my game bag.

I wondered which fac power levels other people are using in .20? And what are your experiences with quarry stopping abilities? I find that my 14 ft/lbs setting overpenetrates a bit. It was set at 10 ft/lbs first, causing the pellet to stay in the animal body. I upped it do flatten out the trajectory.

Cheers, Louis

With those 13.75 grn pellets a velocity of around 880 fps would be great .around 24 fpe .

Obviously  you would only get 5 shots if your lucky. I think what you have at the moment is about ideal given the limited air supply. 

Ps. Penetration depth isnt significantly governed by the velocity of the pellet. 

So your pellet will go as deep into your quarry at 10 fpe as it will at 14 fpe .

All else being equal 

44 minutes ago, DC177 said:

What are you allowed to shoot in the Netherlands? I thought it was as restrictive as Germany. Just interested.

You're right, it is restrictive. I'm allowed to shoot feral pigeons, rats and mice in and around farms. Even though I have a Dutch shotgun and firearm certificate (and had British ones when I lived in Devon up to half a year ago), I am not allowed shoot other species.

1 hour ago, louisvanhovell said:

You're right, it is restrictive. I'm allowed to shoot feral pigeons, rats and mice in and around farms. 

You dont need fac power levels, especially around buildings.

1 hour ago, Ultrastu said:

I think the fire bird is a tricky gun to work on and like its sibling the spitfire .prone to leaks which are almost impossible to fix out side of John bowket. I'd leave well alone .especially if it's for rats pige etc .Just enjoy it for what it is .

I am a bit of a John Bowkett fanatic. Of his designs I've got: BSA Spitfire SF, Firebird SF, Superten, Ultra mmc x 2, Titan Bearcat.

Almost all of them have been blueprinted by John. Both the Spitfire and the Firebird have since then lost their slow leaks (according to John this was a manufacturing fault; the factory messed up the original design). And they shoot spot on. I've had the Spitfire for over 10 years, it's great.

19 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

Are they easy enough to adjust the power out put ?

Yes they are. There's an allen bolt at the back of the action; turning it in gives a higher hammer spring tension.

@ Mice! : the Firebird and Spitfire are designed to be topped up using the Superten buddy bottle. There's a brass fill port cap that you can easily remove, then you simply screw the buddy bottle in and job's done. 60 shots (15 in the reservoir, 3x15 in the buddy bottle) is enough for me any day.

fair enough, just most folk are only happy knowing they have 60 shots, although the 15 is likely to be more than enough, I imagine its makes the rifle much lighter.

but given the limited quarry you can shoot would you not be better off sticking around 11 or 12ftb as we are in the UK giving you more shots