A Nice Way To End My 60s

marsh man

After watching the news and weather dinnertime, the forecast was strong to gale South / West winds , not exactly the perfect storm but if the geese come back from where they had been feeding during the day then there might be a chance for a shot or two during the evening flight .

Having read answer2 lovely account of his dream flight on the mud flats and the thought of trying to fulfil the request from two of the guns on this Saturdays shoot who would like to try a goose it was time to make a move , this was a bit early for me as I normally leave it much later before I set off but with the marshes being so dry and devoid of duck at the present time the block of marshes where I was intending to go are getting popular during these dry conditions and with only six allowed on at any one time if you leave it till late there is a possibility it will be full up.

Arriving at the gate where the tag board is there were already four fowlers who had the same idea as me , but at least there was room for me and with it being a big block it is easy to keep out of each others way , by now it was getting on for four o clock and the light was already fading , the first big lot of 3 to 400 crossed the main road towards the town several marshes away and they carried on without a shot being fired , then for the next 20 minutes there was very little sight or sound of any more geese and I began to wonder if the bulk of them had flighted back to there roost before I got there .

By now the wind had got up and light was rapidly disappearing when the first volley of three shots rang out further down the marsh , I thought I could hear the geese out in front but no , it was the wind blowing in the top of my gun barrels, but then there was no mistaking the sound out in front really was geese and I could then see faint lines sig sagging across the dark sky in front of me , most of them were far to high for me and I held my fire hoping for some a bit lower , one lot looked just about on the border line when the directly above and at my one shot I saw it drifting down with the wind and I heard it hit the marsh somewhere well in front of me ,  on a previous thread about dogs running in , I said I didn't mind mine running in , even more so on a situation like this , as it turned out my dog sat there like a statue for the simple fact he never saw what I fired at , so I casted him out and with him being a young dog he wasn't going out far enough to pick up any sent , by now the other guns were getting a bit of shooting but I am a great believer , a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush , or marsh in this case, so I walked in the general direction while Bobbie was criss  crossing the field in front , I thought I had gone a bit further than where I thought it should be and we were getting close to the dyke embankment , I then saw the dog do a sharp turn and after working along the bottom of the dyke up he came with a lively Pink .

Even though he has got a lot to learn that was one of the best retrieves he had done and I was full of praise with him , by now the stars were coming out and a few geese were still moving about with the odd shot still being heard , standing there still getting over the excitement of my last shot I heard a few wink winks calling out if front and I could just make out staggered line coming to one side of me about 40 yds up , crouching down on one doggie knee I took the last one in the line as he was the nearest and this time there was no gliding down , it was straight down and back to hand within a minute to join his stable mate  laying on the grass.

It was now far to dark for me even though there was still the odd shot going off and I had now got all I wanted , not exactly in the same league as Boyd ( five for five ) or Robert five for six ) but two for two on the eve of my seventh birthday left me a very happy vintage fowler .  

54 minutes ago, marsh man said:

After watching the news and weather dinnertime, the forecast was strong to gale South / West winds , not exactly the perfect storm but if the geese come back from where they had been feeding during the day then there might be a chance for a shot or two during the evening flight .

Having read answer2 lovely account of his dream flight on the mud flats and the thought of trying to fulfil the request from two of the guns on this Saturdays shoot who would like to try a goose it was time to make a move , this was a bit early for me as I normally leave it much later before I set off but with the marshes being so dry and devoid of duck at the present time the block of marshes where I was intending to go are getting popular during these dry conditions and with only six allowed on at any one time if you leave it till late there is a possibility it will be full up.

Arriving at the gate where the tag board is there were already four fowlers who had the same idea as me , but at least there was room for me and with it being a big block it is easy to keep out of each others way , by now it was getting on for four o clock and the light was already fading , the first big lot of 3 to 400 crossed the main road towards the town several marshes away and they carried on without a shot being fired , then for the next 20 minutes there was very little sight or sound of any more geese and I began to wonder if the bulk of them had flighted back to there roost before I got there .

By now the wind had got up and light was rapidly disappearing when the first volley of three shots rang out further down the marsh , I thought I could hear the geese out in front but no , it was the wind blowing in the top of my gun barrels, but then there was no mistaking the sound out in front really was geese and I could then see faint lines sig sagging across the dark sky in front of me , most of them were far to high for me and I held my fire hoping for some a bit lower , one lot looked just about on the border line when the directly above and at my one shot I saw it drifting down with the wind and I heard it hit the marsh somewhere well in front of me ,  on a previous thread about dogs running in , I said I didn't mind mine running in , even more so on a situation like this , as it turned out my dog sat there like a statue for the simple fact he never saw what I fired at , so I casted him out and with him being a young dog he wasn't going out far enough to pick up any sent , by now the other guns were getting a bit of shooting but I am a great believer , a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush , or marsh in this case, so I walked in the general direction while Bobbie was criss  crossing the field in front , I thought I had gone a bit further than where I thought it should be and we were getting close to the dyke embankment , I then saw the dog do a sharp turn and after working along the bottom of the dyke up he came with a lively Pink .

Even though he has got a lot to learn that was one of the best retrieves he had done and I was full of praise with him , by now the stars were coming out and a few geese were still moving about with the odd shot still being heard , standing there still getting over the excitement of my last shot I heard a few wink winks calling out if front and I could just make out staggered line coming to one side of me about 40 yds up , crouching down on one doggie knee I took the last one in the line as he was the nearest and this time there was no gliding down , it was straight down and back to hand within a minute to join his stable mate  laying on the grass.

It was now far to dark for me even though there was still the odd shot going off and I had now got all I wanted , not exactly in the same league as Boyd ( five for five ) or Robert five for six ) but two for two on the eve of my seventh birthday left me a very happy vintage fowler .  

Happy Birthday John well done on the Pink's and may you still be dropping them for many years to come :good:

MANY THANKS to all the kind people above.

Two little things niggled me a bit tonight , one was , I met one of the chaps who came back to his motor just after I got back and the first thing fowlers say to each other is , how did you get on , or did you do any good , he had a Pink and said he lost another one that hit the marsh and he couldn't find it , needless to say , he never had a dog .

And the other thing was shooting was still going on in the pitch dark with the stars out , whoever was on there did have a lot of shooting during what you would term as normal flight times and he or they should have been close to there limit without firing half the night at geese that would had been nearly impossible to see without any background cover .

Anyway , apart from that , it was an excellent night and tomorrow I will give the dogs a couple of retrieves and try and put a couple of photos of him now he is coming up for 2 1/2 year old .

GOOD LUCK to anyone out tomorrow .

13 hours ago, marsh man said:

Still a young man then. ;)

Marsh man, what I really appreciate are your countryside observations as well as your reports on your outings. Your language paints a thousand pictures. Also it cannot have been easy for you to have mastered the internet and posting on the forum and putting up pictures. Your efforts are much appreciated.

Happy Birthday. How does it feel to be in your eighth decade?

2 hours ago, JDog said:

Marsh man, what I really appreciate are your countryside observations as well as your reports on your outings. Your language paints a thousand pictures. Also it cannot have been easy for you to have mastered the internet and posting on the forum and putting up pictures. Your efforts are much appreciated.

Happy Birthday. How does it feel to be in your eighth decade?

Many thanks for your kind words , no it haven't been that easy but I am a firm believer where you learn by your mistakes , when I first came on the forum I didn't know what button to press to get a capital letter and with the help of the members , including yourself and I believe it was islandgun who told me what to do , then a major development was when I learnt to put a photo on the forum , I am not sure weather I am aloud to put them on the different threads but I haven't been told off up to now , then over the last few weeks the format has changed so it was back to the drawing board , but I now know there are plenty of genuine people out there who are always prepared to share there knowledge and help me out whenever I need it . 

How does it feel to be in my eighth decade ? not that much older than my seventh to tell you the truth , as I have only been in it for a day, although in the past I used to let an elderly person have my seat on the bus , now the elderly people now get up and offer me there seat :lol:

39 minutes ago, flippermaj said:

Marsh Man, great story and a great picture of the dog and your rewards.

Lets hope we are all bagging geese into our 70's!

Thanks flippermaj ....... I was always told age is only a number , not so sure about that as most of the chaps who I first started shooting with had a number and sadly it is now up:no:

What I did notice last night was how heavy Pinks are becoming , where I could easily manage lugging back 4 or even 5 , now , even though they look the same, and the size seem the same , for some unknown reason they seem twice as heavy as they once were :lol:

Many happy returns on turning seventy and one very pleasurable read. 

When the older Fowler’s post flight reports like this one and anser2 has, it makes better reading than most books. They remind me of reading the likes of country gun and other writers in shooting times a decade ago. 

Thanks for posting.