Dog killed by pit bull type in Manchester

Archie-fox

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/he-most-beautiful-boy-owners-13941348#ICID=ios_MENNewsApp_AppShare_Click_Other

just seen this on the MEN news and the daily mail..poor dog and it’s owners..

small dogs don’t stand a chance from these out of control dogs..

just horrific.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

28 minutes ago, stumfelter said:

Unfortunately this is a sad reflection of what our society has become. No need for pitbull type dogs at all.

Why? it's the owners who are at fault, I have a Staffy and and is socialized twice a week and isn't any problem around people or dogs (or other animals we've encountered while he's running with me when I'm on the mountain bike). It's this kind of mentality that gets us gun owners tarred with the same brush as anyone committing a crime with a firearm, blanket incorrect statements.

The law needs to be tougher on the owners of these out of control dogs, but NOT just bull breeds (Pitbulls are banned anyway), my sister has a Staffy that's been attacked 5 times by other dogs and has never retaliated, its purely down to the owners. 

However I do feel incredibly sorry for the Beagle owner as no one should have to witness anything like that :(

Edited by Deker

15 minutes ago, loriusgarrulus said:

Horrendous. No owner should ever have to go through this. It seems to be on the increase.

My question is how can this be stopped, it’s why I carry a small stick around now when I walk my dog, I’ll batter any dog if it got hold of mine like these two did..

the footage on the internet is beyond words, the poor woman begging him to call his dogs off and he just walks away..let’s hope he gets some jail time but I doubt it.

Edited by Archie-fox

3 minutes ago, Archie-fox said:

My question is how can this be stopped, it’s why I carry a small stick around now when I walk my dog, I’ll batter any dog if it got hold of mine like these two did..

Sticks no good, these type of dogs don’t seem to feel pain, knife would be better.

4 minutes ago, Archie-fox said:

the footage on the internet is beyond words, the poor woman begging him to call his dogs off and he just walks away..let’s hope he gets some jail time but I doubt it.

I really hope he does, the RSPCA have been canvassing (and were successful) for longer sentences for animal cruelty and this HAS to come under it surely

4 minutes ago, R1nut said:

They look like Dogo Argentino.

If it is then they're banned under the same law as Pitbulls  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dangerous_Dogs_Act_1991  

Very sad, unfortunately the breed of dogs get the blame, this only fuels low life to buy that dog as some form of 'status'.

Staffies prime example, some people tar them with the bad brush, one of the softest dogs i've ever known was a staffy, also another case one of the most aggressive both with polar opposite owners which reflected in the nature of the dog.

'stupid people have stupid kids / dogs' 

All to do with how they're raised and if they are despite training naturally aggressive they shouldn't be in a domestic environment (why these dogs were off a lead i do not know). Anybody with common sense wouldn't let such a scenario arise, necessary precautions should be taken.

We had a rottweiler that we adopted as a security dog as it wanted to KILL anything and anyone that got in its path (even cars) so the owner gave it up. We managed to get it to not attack me, my dad, uncle and cousins but would never have trusted it around anybody else or their dogs.

This owner needs a prison sentence and shouldn't be allowed to own any animal again. Disgusting! 

Edited by evolution380

9 minutes ago, evolution380 said:

Very sad, unfortunately the breed of dogs get the blame, this only fuels low life to buy that dog as some form of 'status'.

Staffies prime example, some people tar them with the bad brush, one of the softest dogs i've ever known was a staffy, also another case one of the most aggressive both with polar opposite owners which reflected in the nature of the dog.

'stupid people have stupid kids / dogs' 

All to do with how they're raised and if they are despite training naturally aggressive they shouldn't be in a domestic environment (why these dogs were off a lead i do not know). Anybody with common sense wouldn't let such a scenario arise, necessary precautions should be taken.

We had a rottweiler that we adopted as a security dog as it wanted to KILL anything and anyone that got in its path (even cars) so the owner gave it up. We managed to get it to not attack me, my dad, uncle and cousins but would never have trusted it around anybody else or their dogs.

This owner needs a prison sentence and shouldn't be allowed to own any animal again. Disgusting! 

I’ve walked out of parks when I’ve seen big dogs off a leads barking at other dogs just not worth the hassle..it’s why I live next to saddleworth moor.. loads of walks and no idiots with status dogs running wild..

5 minutes ago, Archie-fox said:

I’ve walked out of parks when I’ve seen big dogs off a leads barking at other dogs just not worth the hassle..it’s why I live next to saddleworth moor.. loads of walks and no idiots with status dogs running wild..

Same here, I walk mine on the beach every morning and if there are too many dogs on there then I go elsewhere as it's not worth the risk, I really can't imagine what that poor Beagle owner is going through and certainly wouldn't want to be in that position myself

29 minutes ago, old'un said:

Sticks no good, these type of dogs don’t seem to feel pain, knife would be better.

Just been out walking my dog with my mate who’s a inspector in organised crime  and said what would happen if someone did this to a dog attacking and killing your own dog he said you can’t carry a knife on the off chance you may need it to defend your dog, but also said he would do the same and take his chance and say he’s just been stalking and forgot it was in his pocket..

They’re not pitbulls they’re more like Doggo’s but they’re quite light framed so they could well be somebodies idea of a badger smashing lurcher either way they are a danger and out of control. There is only one cure for a dog like that and it’s a bullet. They are a product of their upbringing admittedly but they need putting down nonetheless. Imagine if that had been a little toddler out for a walk in the park? It doesn’t bear thinking about. 

40 minutes ago, Archie-fox said:

Just been out walking my dog with my mate who’s a inspector in organised crime  and said what would happen if someone did this to a dog attacking and killing your own dog he said you can’t carry a knife on the off chance you may need it to defend your dog, but also said he would do the same and take his chance and say he’s just been stalking and forgot it was in his pocket..

That's terrible advise and would definitely land you in hot water r.e the knife.

12 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

That's terrible advise and would definitely land you in hot water r.e the knife.

I guess so but if another dog was ripping yours to bits and killing it, I’d defend my dog against another dog killing it but I wouldn’t take any pleasure in it... I’d do just enough to fend it off..

1 hour ago, Deker said:

If it is then they're banned under the same law as Pitbulls  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dangerous_Dogs_Act_1991  

They are powerfull dogs! There is a reason why they are on the banned list.

Under strict licence they can be owned in this country.

With those cropped ears and that kind of owner I can only imagine he is using them for one thing

20 minutes ago, Archie-fox said:

I guess so but if another dog was ripping yours to bits and killing it, I’d defend my dog against another dog killing it but I wouldn’t take any pleasure in it... I’d do just enough to fend it off..

Id defend my dog to and not knocking you for that, just advising you and everyone else on here not to carry a knife for that reason or use that excuse as you'd be done for carrying a bladed article. You can carry a sub 3" non locking knife without needing reasonable excuse so long as it's not carried with intent, however if you just happened to have said folding knife on you and used it with reasonable force to protect yourself or your property I.e dog no law would be broken. Not having a go, just wouldn't want to see any decent people becoming legally unstuck.

32 minutes ago, Archie-fox said:

:good:

My hunting knife was always in my shooting coat, plus I always took a very heavy walking stick when walking the dog, would not think twice about saving my dogs life against this type of dog.

3 hours ago, Deker said:

Why? it's the owners who are at fault, I have a Staffy and and is socialized twice a week and isn't any problem around people or dogs (or other animals we've encountered while he's running with me when I'm on the mountain bike). It's this kind of mentality that gets us gun owners tarred with the same brush as anyone committing a crime with a firearm, blanket incorrect statements.

The law needs to be tougher on the owners of these out of control dogs, but NOT just bull breeds (Pitbulls are banned anyway), my sister has a Staffy that's been attacked 5 times by other dogs and has never retaliated, its purely down to the owners. 

However I do feel incredibly sorry for the Beagle owner as no one should have to witness anything like that :(

So you think there is a need for pitbulls ? Who mentioned staffies?

Just now, stumfelter said:

So you think there is a need for pitbulls ? Who mentioned staffies?

There's no 'need' for any dog but there's nothing wrong with pitbulls, it's just a breed the media jumped on due to ####er owners, exactly the same as Alsatians, Rottweilers and Dobermans over the years, the only common denominator is the idiot at the other end of the lead.

Staffies are also classed as 'Bull' breeds, they're also known as the nanny dogs, the whole BSL argument is barbaric and should be lifted ASAP.

Pitbulls are inherently no more dangerous than many other large dogs you and I see out and about every day, the problem was the breed was highjacked as a status symbol and alot of idiots bought them, it'd be like if most of the mass shootings in this country were carried out with a .223 it wouldnt be the calibre that was dangours, but the lunatic behind the trigger. Don't get sucked into the sensationalistic journalism that has given these dogs a bad name, it's no different to the nonsense that takes place with our sport.

1 minute ago, Deker said:

There's no 'need' for any dog but there's nothing wrong with pitbulls, it's just a breed the media jumped on due to ####er owners, exactly the same as Alsatians, Rottweilers and Dobermans over the years, the only common denominator is the idiot at the other end of the lead.

Staffies are also classed as 'Bull' breeds, they're also known as the nanny dogs, the whole BSL argument is barbaric and should be lifted ASAP.

Good post, you posted as I was typing.

The breed doesn’t need banning, it’s the idiots that can’t / won’t control them. My Lurcher doesn’t like small dogs and so I put her on a lead if I’m libel to meet any.

only last weekend some dog owner with a tiny Russell type terrier that was running loose couldn’t stop her dog from wanting to attack my 50lb Lurcher that would obviously had the ability of killing her tiny dog.if mine had been a pit bull type dog she would have gone crazy with my attitude when I calmly told her tiny dog was wanting to end is life by attacking a much bigger dog that was under control on a collar and lead.Also on private land off a footpath, a few minutes early my dog had been running free , what would have happened then doesn’t bare thinking about 

I do find it ironic on a shooting forum that people can make sweeping accusations, such as "all certain dog types are dangerous", that's pretty much the same as the media saying all FAC owners are murders in waiting which did happen on live TV after Dunblane (to an Olympic shooter), we should know better than most about the media, we're currently getting grief from the anti-hunt lobby as well as the government trying to restrict more firearms because of biased uninformed individuals.