Dog killed by pit bull type in Manchester

Archie-fox

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't normally comment on here, but this post is quite a concern to me, as quite simply I love my Springer. I train her every day, and as it could mean her getting caught up in thicket, I always carry a large pair of secateurs, I find these a lot more handy than a knife, long, sharp and easy to hold., I really do hope I don't have to use them.

14 minutes ago, Deker said:

I do find it ironic on a shooting forum that people can make sweeping accusations, such as "all certain dog types are dangerous", that's pretty much the same as the media saying all FAC owners are murders in waiting which did happen on live TV after Dunblane (to an Olympic shooter), we should know better than most about the media, we're currently getting grief from the anti-hunt lobby as well as the government trying to restrict more firearms because of biased uninformed individuals.

No, all dogs are potentially dangerous.

22 minutes ago, old'un said:

No, all dogs are potentially dangerous.

As are all shooters, an anti would rightly point out that a perfectly normal person could be affected by a mental health issue as does happen on rare occasions, but it would be ludicrous to stop everyone shooting for the very very few it does effect, where do you draw the line?

26 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

As are all shooters, an anti would rightly point out that a perfectly normal person could be affected by a mental health issue as does happen on rare occasions, but it would be ludicrous to stop everyone shooting for the very very few it does effect, where do you draw the line?

Not sure of the point you are trying to make, but I did not say stop everyone from owning dogs, my point was that every dog as the potential to be dangerous, or are you saying they dont?

Scum owners want putting down,

i carry a very very heavy stick, with a nice point on the end,

the dog and the owner would get it if I needed to, our dogs are our family,

********  to to losing my FAC etc, 

no living creature deserves to die like that,

flynny

5 minutes ago, old'un said:

Not sure of the point you are trying to make, but I did not say stop everyone from owning dogs, my point was that every dog as the potential to be dangerous, or are you saying they dont?

No I'm agreeing with you, every activity in life has risks, the thing is, you need to balance risk against likelyhood and freedom and to be fair, just like shooting owning a dog is actually a pretty low risk thing to do, it's media sensationalism that has deenanised certain breeds, just like it does often with shooting, I made my point due to your stateent "all dogs are potentially dangerous" I'm not sure what point you were trying to make with that?

Edited by 12gauge82
Spelling

Update on this...

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/owner-dogs-killed-beagle-salford-13945497#ICID=ios_MENNewsApp_AppShare_Click_Other

not sure I believe his story.. 

21 minutes ago, flynny said:

Scum owners want putting down,

i carry a very very heavy stick, with a nice point on the end,

the dog and the owner would get it if I needed to, our dogs are our family,

********  to to losing my FAC etc, 

no living creature deserves to die like that,

flynny

My thoughts exactly kev..

6 hours ago, Archie-fox said:

My question is how can this be stopped, it’s why I carry a small stick around now when I walk my dog, I’ll batter any dog if it got hold of mine like these two did..

the footage on the internet is beyond words, the poor woman begging him to call his dogs off and he just walks away..let’s hope he gets some jail time but I doubt it.

I think you will need a big stick

Deker - always the same when dogs are mentioned. In this case, the dog which was killed was reported to be off the lead.

The more worrying part is the reaction of the dogs' owner, who seems to have had a couldn't care less attitude. I trust he will face the court, including a ban from keeping dogs, if found guilty.

I find these things very sup setting as the white dog is a dogo not a pit.  Calling them pits or pit bull types is bad news as staffs are lumped in with that mix and it would be a crying shame if they were banned.    The problem with this situation is not the dogs it was the owner of the dogs quite simply he should not own dogs of any kind and if he knew they were a problem around other dog why were they off the lead.    The brown dog it's hard to tell what breed it is  however it is immaterial.  I have had staffs all my life and will not be without one they are the best dog to have if you have children (Google the nanny dog) he is my daughters elder brother slept under her carry cot from a newborn and is so gentle with my daughters,  better house pet and family dog by far than my springer spaniel is.   This should absolutely not have happened but everyone there could have helped I mean who takes pictures or video without helping 

2 hours ago, Archie-fox said:

Unless it is in nature/ the Wild/  ie wolves and bears just getting there tucker etc,

not in a civilised public park where the public are dog walking, beggars should be under  control by the tit owners.

if my dog got ate in the wilds of Alaska I'd be upset but hey ho,

just thought id put that above in for the PC brigade, 

flynny

Dogs are cited as Rhodesian Ridgeback / Staffy cross and a Bully Kutta. The latter being a fighting Mastiff from Pakistan.

I can think of little genuine reason for the choice of breed. The named owner seems to have a Facebook account with the last 7 years missing. No doubt the Police will be able to retrieve anything which might be of interest, if it has been deleted.

Couldn't get the video to play on my phone but what I'd like to know, is who the hell stood there videoing while a defenceess dog was left to be torn apart and a lone female left to fend for herself? The scrote probably acted pretty much as I'd expect, like a scrote and blamed everone and everything else for his action/inaction.

13 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

Dogs are cited as Rhodesian Ridgeback / Staffy cross and a Bully Kutta. The latter being a fighting Mastiff from Pakistan.

I can think of little genuine reason for the choice of breed. The named owner seems to have a Facebook account with the last 7 years missing. No doubt the Police will be able to retrieve anything which might be of interest, if it has been deleted.

Be careful, when I asked why anyone needed a pitbull I got accused of being a staffy hating anti with a dislike of .223.

I have a decent knowledge of large dogs, but had to look up the Bully Kutta. I suspect you would find them a bit of a rarity. Reading up on the breed - aggression is mentioned very prominently, whereas Staffies enjoy a decent reputation.

The owner is expressing contrition, but I suspect he will have to do better.

Edited by Gordon R

can't comment on the individuals involved I only know what I've read on the links and I didn't watch the video, anyone watched the dog whisperer? His pit bull is the best behaved easy going dog your likely to see, if the beagle has run up to the other two dogs when they were on the lead then been attacked by two much larger dogs doubt there is much could be done, however if it turns out the fella new the dogs were aggressive then they should obviously have been muzzled. 

I cant imagine the dogs being known to be aggressive simply because of the pictures of the dogs with the kids.

we'll see though as things come out.

13 hours ago, Deker said:

I really hope he does, the RSPCA have been canvassing (and were successful) for longer sentences for animal cruelty and this HAS to come under it surely

The RSPCA will do nowt to bring about better sentences!!! As long as they are the richest charity in the UK that's all they'll care about, the kill more dogs every year than and  single breed of dog.

I live in a part of Essex where a staff is part of the chavs outfit, I feel sorry for the dogs having to put up with it, but its tantamount to giving a chav a loaded gun and something should be done about them.

I wont take my dogs in any  public places where they can meet staffs, because if one attacked my dogs the owner wouldn't like what would happen to it. I know several dog owners that have had their dogs attacked by staffs and now all carry sharp pointy instruments with them to defend their dogs. I wouldn't hesitate to dispatch a dog that attacked mine.

With luck as it’s gone viral the cps and police will prosecute to full power of the law. As poor as it may be. 

The poor owners must be gutted we know what it feels like to loose your dog when it’s time come but to suffer seing it savaged by two dogs don’t bare thinking about. 

I haven’t watched the footage and don’t want to as it would make my blood boil. 

8 hours ago, stumfelter said:

Be careful, when I asked why anyone needed a pitbull I got accused of being a staffy hating anti with a dislike of .223.

Mainly because berating a dog simply because of it's breed is daft, just like blaming a calibre for someone's death would also be daft, make silly statements get silly answers!

Edited by 12gauge82
Spelling