Birds every which way.

Clodhopper

To take a slant on another recent post. 

Having watched a good number of pigeons getting on some rape I decided that today would be the day to get amongst them as the wind was forecast to be a 40mph westerly. As JDog had kindly shared some sport with me recently I asked if he would like join me, he politely declined the offer as he already had  a cunning plan for the day. Would I like to join him? He then went on to explain that he had his eye on some stubble fields that were occupied by every pigeon in Lincolnshire if not the North of England. 

We met in a muddy gateway at 09.30 and already there were several hundred birds on the move. JDog had already been out putting his plan into action, having strategically placed some rope bangers around the locality in order to keep the grey hoardes on the move.

We opted to set up midway along a hedge which divided 2 of the stubble fields, our backs to the strengthening wind and hides 50 yards apart.

A magnet and a handful of decoys in front of each hide completed the scene. The birds came almost immediately, i did not have time to put my coat on nor JDog time to pour a warming cup of coffee. The birds battled in to the strengthening wind in order to make the decoys. As the action heated up we had birds coming from infront, either side and some magnificent birds which came high from behind, banked round and dropped into to the decoys. JDog taking some magnificent high going away birds. This was sport of the highest order.

Standard head on decoyed birds were made far from straightforward as the wind buffeted them around and a flick of the wing sent them darting off with the wind.

This action continued for around an hour and a half when the birds switched off to the decoys. We brought the magnets in which did bring a few more birds in for a short while. This then stopped and left us with only long crossers for sport and what sport it was as the birds sped across quartering in the stiff wind.

At around 13.30 we agreed we had had the best of it and began the task of picking up. We both estimated we had around 60 birds down. We picked up all the birds close by on the stubble and then headed off the pick the long droppers we had marked. After sweeping the surrounding area we were both pleasantly suprised to pick up 91 pigeons.

This was thoroughly brilliant sport in great company.

In total we estimated we had seen 2-3 thousand pigeons in the time we were there, which was amazing to watch.

I cannot thank JDog enough for his generosity, a true gent.

Aga man says that I under estimate. I would rather it be that way round than the other. Below is a shot of some of the pigeons I saw when I arrived at the field and I under estimate that there are 500 in the shot and I further under estimate that this was 20% of the birds using these fields.

DSC07822.jpg

Yes this was sport of the highest calibre. I really needed two more guns but two of the Norfolk contingent turned me down. One had to darn his socks and the other had to mess with a fan belt of some sort.

My cunning plan did work which is a first for me and pigeons were kept on the move for three hours until the rope banger placed in the sixth of seven consecutive fields of barley stubble ran out. For the last hour we watched as many hundreds of pigeons swept into the field and circumvented our hide positions only to land 150m away. However we had had great sport by that time and we were happy enough to pack in at that time. 

18 minutes ago, aga man said:

I also said you need a good wind to do any good with these bunched up pigeons. You certainly had some wind today, 91 is a great bag to pick at this time of year. Well done boys.

The skill was all JDogs, I  merely put enough lead in the air to sink the Navy.

Also of note was even though he is not a true Yellow Belly ( too many chromosomes and not enough fingers) he will accept payment with field pumkins or root vegetables.

2 hours ago, Clodhopper said:

To take a slant on another recent post. 

Having watched a good number of pigeons getting on some rape I decided that today would be the day to get amongst them as the wind was forecast to be a 40mph westerly. As JDog had kindly shared some sport with me recently I asked if he would like join me, he politely declined the offer as he already had  a cunning plan for the day. Would I like to join him? He then went on to explain that he had his eye on some stubble fields that were occupied by every pigeon in Lincolnshire if not the North of England. 

We met in a muddy gateway at 09.30 and already there were several hundred birds on the move. JDog had already been out putting his plan into action, having strategically placed some rope bangers around the locality in order to keep the grey hoardes on the move.

We opted to set up midway along a hedge which divided 2 of the stubble fields, our backs to the strengthening wind and hides 50 yards apart.

A magnet and a handful of decoys in front of each hide completed the scene. The birds came almost immediately, i did not have time to put my coat on nor JDog time to pour a warming cup of coffee. The birds battled in to the strengthening wind in order to make the decoys. As the action heated up we had birds coming from infront, either side and some magnificent birds which came high from behind, banked round and dropped into to the decoys. JDog taking some magnificent high going away birds. This was sport of the highest order.

Standard head on decoyed birds were made far from straightforward as the wind buffeted them around and a flick of the wing sent them darting off with the wind.

This action continued for around an hour and a half when the birds switched off to the decoys. We brought the magnets in which did bring a few more birds in for a short while. This then stopped and left us with only long crossers for sport and what sport it was as the birds sped across quartering in the stiff wind.

At around 13.30 we agreed we had had the best of it and began the task of picking up. We both estimated we had around 60 birds down. We picked up all the birds close by on the stubble and then headed off the pick the long droppers we had marked. After sweeping the surrounding area we were both pleasantly suprised to pick up 91 pigeons.

This was thoroughly brilliant sport in great company.

In total we estimated we had seen 2-3 thousand pigeons in the time we were there, which was amazing to watch.

I cannot thank JDog enough for his generosity, a true gent.

WOW!!

This confirms my theory that the Wolds are in a different universe, pigeon-wise, compared to my patch in Essex.

Since my return from Canada (2 weeks) I have spent 3 whole days driving about looking for them. On day 1, I saw a hundred or so cleaning up the last of a late drilling, but there was game cover all about. By the time I had that sorted, they were gone. I have studied stubble fields, rape fields (even poor crops) and a bean drilling where "the beans didn't go in well" NOTHING!!

A dozen or so on well germinated wheat, presumably on weeds is my top sighting. Handfuls here and there in paddocks. As for JDog's picture, are you sure they are not my geese from Canada?

Move to the Wolds?? or back to Heathrow??

Well done JDog and Clodhopper sounds a fantastic day, the rope bangers can be a very effective method of pushing spooked birds to your pattern but thy will push them out of the area eventually. A tremendous picture of pigeons in flight but are on a migration so here today gone tomorrow . JDog is a true gent and I hereby nominate him for the " Golden Cartridge" as Pigeon Watch Pigeon Shooter of the Year 2017.