Favourite One Hit Wonders

FairImogen

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent replies.  I had forgotten so many:

‘Spirit in the Sky’ - hard to believe an unknown could play guitar like that.  No 1 world wide, made him millions ++

’Echo Beach’ - just superb

’One night in Bancock’ (makes a hard man humble!) - from the musical  ‘Chess’ - also superb

‘I think we’re alone now’ - Tiffany, famous for touring shopping malls.  An excellent summation of the difference between the adolescent and adult worlds.  Originally, I think, by Tommy James and the Shandels.  Either shot himself, or killed by the Mob, supposedly 

‘I would never be your woman’.  Kid in bedroom samples Al Bowley.  What a fantastic song.  Transsexual references a la Bowie, or Kinks ‘Lola’

Sugar Minot!!

’Mouldy Old Dough’ - singer’s mum doing Mrs Mills on Piano.

Thank you for all you replies!  You have evoked so many great memories 

Murray Head was excellent — a whole storyline. The Buggles also, top pick, I think this is now recognised as an influence on many other artists. Just listen to the bass line, it’s exceptional!

I think the 80’s had a lot of creativity flying around, the voices weren’t canned, there were still some fantastic musician around. Some one-hit wonder clearly had top session musicians on their pop tracks, and there are a few gems around like that.

My pick is “Captain Sensible, Wot!” — listen to the post-disco guitar, and the fantastic bassist. In fact, even the lyrics are… well written!

Edited by buze

9 minutes ago, keg said:

What was the connection between The Buggles and Frankie Goes to Hollywood?

Trevor Horn, "The Man Who Invented the Eighties".

I must confess though I had no idea, but as I often say "Google is your friend. :yes:

I can see why he has the nickname though, geez he was involved in so many classic 80's tracks.

Welcome to the Pleasuredome is still one of my favourite albums, so many good tracks on it.

3 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

Hang on - the thread is about one hit wonders. The Buggles had 4. Captain Sensible had a few. :lol:

I wasn't aware of any of the other "hits" The Buggles had had but I'll concede the point. Not counting "Eistree" though as it didn't make the top 40, but I'll give you 3 :lol:

I still stand by "Echo Beach" though. :yes:

The safety dance.  Men without hats.

And not a one hit wonder but Ultravox's loves great adventure, purely for the cracking guitar rift near the end.

On 11/24/2017 at 22:39, Fuddster said:

da da da by trio....

I had one of those casio keyboards as a sprog, no idea what happened to it, maybe worth a few quid now.