Favourite One Hit Wonders

FairImogen

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

Whilst the thread is "one hit wonders" - not restricted to the UK and only a bit of fun, "Men at work" - one hit wonders??????????

"Who can it be" and others must have slipped through the net.:lol:

Dunno about you but I live in the UK, so that's how I classify my one hit wonders. If not well then I can probably throw in a bunch of tracks and artists that were successful here but not in the US or equally I can discount any number of artists who were successful in their home country but had only one hit over here. For instance Frankie Goes To Hollywood are largely considered one hit wonders in the USA for "Relax" but they had several number ones in the UK.

Personally I'm happy with the Wiki description of a One Hit Wonder

" A one-hit wonder is any entity that achieves mainstream popularity and success for a very short period of time, often for only one piece of work, and becomes known among the general public solely for that momentary success. The term is most commonly used in regard to music performers with only one top-40 hit single that overshadows their other work. Sometimes, artists dubbed "one-hit wonders" in a particular country have had great success in others. "

As you pointed out earlier The Buggles had a few tracks that made the top 40 but for the majority of people they had a single hit and very few people could name another track of theirs other than Video Killed the Radio Star. Well if you can't name it then it's not a hit. Maybe the definition of a hit should be anything that makes the top 10?

Danger- Mouse - happy to call a halt. It is only a bit of fun at the end of the day and perhaps not the place for a strict interpretation. At one time Top 20 was classed as a hit, but this seems to have been extended to Top 75. When I saw the Buggles and Men at work, I recalled "Elstree" and "Who can it be" fairly easily, but others not so.

Nice to see a fair spread of genres for the one hit wonders, but out of those cited "Video killed the radio star" is the one that sticks in my, and I suspect most people's, memory.