Black Powder Driven Game Shoot

Feltwad

The 18th of November was our Driven pheasant shoot , this was not a normal driven shoot because the guns were using black powder in their old hammer guns  . The weather  was  cool and fair with the birds flying well the day ended with a good bag of pheasant ,partridge , and pigeon .The number of shots fired greatly outnumbered the birds  with each gun having a reasonable amount of shooting.

Enclosed are images taken .

Feltwad

Pheasant flush

IMG_0376.jpg

Edited by Feltwad

13 hours ago, Fuddster said:

a pal of mine had Jonathan McGee photography attend a BP shoot in North Yorkshire and film the day-on YT and worth a watch.

I have a rotary under lever Ward from 1895 but couldn't attend the day.

f

Yes it was a good video  I know most of those shooting  and have shot clays with them in the past . Your Ward under lever I would have put it  1865-75 

Feltwad.

2 hours ago, panoma1 said:

Bet the guns needed a ****** good wash when they got home! Lol! I remember very well, the stink and the black face and hands from shooting the black stuff! But good fun nevertheless!

Nice photos feltwad! 

The photos were taken by a teenage lady photographer  which I thought were very good .

Has for the cleaning of the guns yes it can be a dirty job  but that is part of black powder shooting which I do not mind .I have  shot  black powder for many decades  and I still say one pheasant shot with a sxs black powder hammer gun is worth 6 shot with a nitro under and over and if it is a muzzle loader it is worth 10 with  a nitro gun .

Feltwad

Cannot think of anything that comes close to taking Game with a ML Shotgun - I think it's the challenge right from pouring the powder down all the way to pulling the trigger and the feeling of relief as you feel the gentle push into your shoulder - simply magic. Had a few in my time but only a repro remains (pedersoli) but I have my eye on a couple quite local to me made in the 1850's and look very shootable.

6 hours ago, Feltwad said:

Its a motley crue on that line up, Big Tony, DC and DB-I've shot with them at Lockton and annual clays with DB and DC-was it any of these you've shot with.

6 hours ago, Feltwad said:

As for the Ward-the info came from the chap who sold it to me-I might have the info jotted down somewhere-rarely comes out these  days but still its nice to have a bit history in the cabinet. Thinking back it might have been from around 1885.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Great photos there Feltwad. I'm having one of my periodic hankerings for a pedersoli sbs muzzle loader..... Just looked at my old repro powder flask and the old longings came back on me. :)

I think I'd be a bit scared of a genuine old girl. I've read of the old barrels bursting in real old guns. I'm partial to my eyesight and fingers. I was once standing about a meter from a gun that burst. It wasn't funny. 

On ‎25‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 11:13, Evilv said:

Great photos there Feltwad. I'm having one of my periodic hankerings for a pedersoli sbs muzzle loader..... Just looked at my old repro powder flask and the old longings came back on me. :)

I think I'd be a bit scared of a genuine old girl. I've read of the old barrels bursting in real old guns. I'm partial to my eyesight and fingers. I was once standing about a meter from a gun that burst. It wasn't funny. 

There are plenty of sxs  pedersoli on the market and they are not too expensive but I prefer a good sxs original in 12,14,or 16 bore there are plenty of these but make sure they have good barrels and if intended to use must be entered has a original  on your SGC so they can be put back to original  if you no longer wish to use it .

Feltwad

A stand of originals

100_0474.jpg

Edited by Feltwad