An old photo.

tiercel

tiercel, the theory that salmon don,t feed in freshwater always fascinates me.

What do they think worms are ?

I always think of salmon and sea trout fishing as spinning, fly or bait, without any further qualification.

Whether the fly is imitating an insect, or a fish/fry pattern, seems a moot point to me.

Most game fish strike a lure of any sort, out of agression, as well as desiring to feed.

Anyway, my "fly" comment was made more in a humourous vein, than a dig at the method you used.

Cranfield.

It may not have shown in the post but my reply was "a bit tounge in cheek". As for salmon feeding in fresh water it is immposible for them to do so, for as they enter fresh water their stomachs atrophy. Therefore they are phisicaly unable to feed.

Red

So if you stuck a toby on the end of your leader on a flyrod. Would you still be fly fishing?

Oi, I'll have you know I've caught my fair share of trout on the fly. I would have also caught salmon if i'd been given the chance, and also if the "big boys" wern't turning their backs on my favorite fish (and probably the first fish they caught) and catching all the salmon, leaving none for me when I have some money and a car.

Right you asked for it. :P A salmon by the definition of the word is a fish that has spent 2 pluss sea winters before returning. A fish that has spent less than that time at sea is known as a grilse. The amount of time that a fish stays at sea varies from river to river. When a fish nears the end of its migration anatomical changes take place, these being the atrophication of its stomach,the growing of a kype on cock fish, the swelling of the adipose fin. These are purely phisical changes. The one thing that does not change is the fishes reflex actions. It may have spent up to 5 years feeding at sea(Most of the big wye fish are 5 sea winters). So when it sees a juicy bunch of lobs in front of it, the reflex actions of the previous years take over. Now im no scientist :P But even i can follow that theory.

REd because you can catch trout on fly does not mean you can catch salmon. it took me 10 years to work that one out. Salmon fishing is the most mind boringly tedious type of fishing i know. You can cast to the same spot and cover the same fish for 50 casts and he ignores it, cast no 51 and he takes it. that is what people who fish for salmon like, but im afraid it bores the pants off me.

PS I didnt slag off perch fishing just told you to stick to it.

I once hooked a Salmon of about 15lb when fishing a match on the Hampshire Avon at Fordingbridge - I was using a single maggot on a size 18 hook on 1.5lb breaking strain line and expecting to catch only Dace and Chub.

I hooked it fairly in the jaw, so I reckon the Salmon was definately interested - but after about 10 seconds it set off downriver like an express train and straightened the hook...!!!

REd because you can catch trout on fly does not mean you can catch salmon. it took me 10 years to work that one out. Salmon fishing is the most mind boringly tedious type of fishing i know. You can cast to the same spot and cover the same fish for 50 casts and he ignores it, cast no 51 and he takes it. that is what people who fish for salmon like, but im afraid it bores the pants off me.

I'm not saying that I can catch salmon, I probably wont till I'm you age, I realise that there is the chance I will never even hook one.

But still you've never seen me fish for salmon, I've never done it.....

No one knows it but I could possibly grow up to be the best salmon fisherman in the world.

I mentioned trout because of your comment "All the other stuff"

I though people were supposed to encourage the young?