Advice where to get a dog please

timclarke

I've always had rescues but this time I'd like to get a more specific dog with hopefully minimum "issues". As a family we want a medium size bitch like a golden retriever or labrador and wondered whether a dog from a gundog background would be inherently better around livestock and other dogs than a random rescue?  We are very outdoorsy and have plenty of room so exercise is no issue. I've spent a lot of time on the internet but it seems harder to find a dog from a good source than i thought. i don't suppose anyone has a ny recommendations - i don't mind travelling and am flexible on ages too.

Look at some of the gundog kennels and field trial kennels. They sometimes have a dog that they have kept on and trained, but is not quite what they want. As its pre-trained they will be more expensive than a pup. Often with field trials a dog might not be quite fast enough or tend to squeak or bark when excited which eliminates them on field trials, but ok for rough shooting. Some kennels specifically train pups on, for sale later, but these can be £2000 upwards.

http://gundogsdirect.co.uk/gundogs-for-sale/cat_2.html

This is a possibility. Beware the dog is not stolen. Make sure it has some proof of ownership with it and microchipped.

Another possibility is to wait till the end of the shooting season and see if anyone giving up shooting is parting with a dog. Usually in this case it will have been kennelled, so might need house training. These could be in the small adds.

Bigbird on here might know of a suitable dog too.

Edited by loriusgarrulus

7 hours ago, loriusgarrulus said:

Another possibility is to wait till the end of the shooting season and see if anyone giving up shooting is parting with a dog. Usually in this case it will have been kennelled, so might need house training. These could be in the small adds.

Bigbird on here might know of a suitable dog too.

I am after another lab as lost mine in may this year, cant believe people would have a dog as an accessory to shooting and not be committed to it for the rest its life, may be I am a soft touch.

1 hour ago, Wooder said:

I am after another lab as lost mine in may this year, cant believe people would have a dog as an accessory to shooting and not be committed to it for the rest its life, may be I am a soft touch.

I would never part with a dog. To me a dog is for life. Not everyone thinks like that.