Clutchless Gear Changes on Motorcycles

FairImogen

Have been riding motorcycles for longer than I care to remember.  Can ‘slick shift’ up and down without a second though, regardless of revs, hardly use clutch at all.  Some of my pals swear that they only use clutch when pulling away, then dispense of it altogether.

I reckon they I’ll wreck their machines, and don’t think one can ride well/fast/safely without ‘mechanical sympathy’.

Can anyone convince me otherwise?

Ride Safe

Modern machines are easier to change gear without the clutch, but if you don't use the clutch, you are putting extra wear on the gear dogs.

I have had many road bikes and always used the clutch, but we have had many, many motocross bikes and my lads thought I was pulling their leg about using the clutch - aside from setting off. I have seen the inside of gearboxes where clutch use has been minimal - worn gears - let alone the extra pressure on the transmission.

It's quite feasible to do clutchless gear changes on a modern bike, as long as a certain amount of mechanical sympathy is employed. Excessive wear will, of course, occur if the rider is brutal.

I once had occasion to travel from Hayward's Heath to Tunbridge Wells without using the clutch, on a R1100GS (shaft-drive!), so it is possible. (My clutch cable was on the way out, and I was trying to get to the dealer in TW to buy the only one available within a 50 mile radius... :rolleyes: ).

It will put more forces on the gear selector forks, drums and bearings. Rekluse clutches are now used quite a bit for enduro type stuff,it's a bit like an auto and works centrifugal forces,I removed mine as I'd rather pull the clutch in to down shift than sacrifice my engine braking. I do up shift with no clutch,but I come off the throttle a little and back on,and definitely use it to find neutral. 

45 minutes ago, Longman said:

I only use the clutch on my bandit 12 turbo

on the Dyno but it is putting out 250bhp at the back wheel.

I'd like to see some pictures of that ? 

As already mentioned - a quickshifter is the way forward. 

Edited by Me matt

Looks like you’ve got it warmed up nicely. I don’t think you can beat Suzuki’s for toughness and also sweet shifting and strong gear boxes. All the four pot gs and gsx series are mighty strong. The old gs550 eight valve engines were incredibly tough and over engineered. Short of running them without oil, bombproof.

Nice that Longman! I was looking at a busa a few years ago putting a claimed 460hp down. Circumstances changed however and had to leave it. As for shifting, I only use clutch for pulling away, rest is clutchless. If you can take the time to learn to do it properly there won't be any issues with wear in gearboxes. The amount of miles I've racked up on road and off road bikes not once have I had gearbox problems! Check out 'mcgarage' on YouTube, especially the 'truth about clutchless shifting' should someone a bit more to think about 

On 25/11/2017 at 17:59, Albert 888 said:

It will put more forces on the gear selector forks, drums and bearings. Rekluse clutches are now used quite a bit for enduro type stuff,it's a bit like an auto and works centrifugal forces,I removed mine as I'd rather pull the clutch in to down shift than sacrifice my engine braking. I do up shift with no clutch,but I come off the throttle a little and back on,and definitely use it to find neutral. 

If I remember rightly the reason they started using them was to stop stalling on hill climbs and through bogs when you can't kick it back up :lol:

Is clutchless shifting more likely to be employed by those out to thrash about on their bikes? So any wear on the box is insignificant as the engine is hammered anyway?

(That was a question rather than an accusation)

I rarely use the clutch in my cars and folk like to tell me I will ruin the gearbox. Hasn't happened yet and my cars tend to die of unrelated illnesses (rust)

1 hour ago, 39TDS said:

Is clutchless shifting more likely to be employed by those out to thrash about on their bikes? So any wear on the box is insignificant as the engine is hammered anyway?

(That was a question rather than an accusation)

I rarely use the clutch in my cars and folk like to tell me I will ruin the gearbox. Hasn't happened yet and my cars tend to die of unrelated illnesses (rust)

Not really no, don't get me wrong I do thrash mine every now and then but the clutch part is just how I learnt to ride when I first started off road. Quicker gear changes in the dirt and I find doesn't unsettle the bike a great deal. On the road it makes it a lot smoother and less to concentrate on :lol: Just my take on it anyhow 

I am no biker... but I have grown up on farm quads.

Not 1 has ever had a clutch lever, but all are manual (sometimes referred to as semi-automatic). Why do road bikes need manual clutches? Surely if Honda and co. can put the technology onto farm bikes then it is there to be utilised by road bikes too?

Or am I missing something?...