Just to prove we are human.

pigeon controller

On Friday I picked up my grandson from nursery at 11.30 and took him for a ride in the country to find the pigeons for Saturday and found nothing. 

So we set out this morning with no idea of what crop to look at for pigeon. We started on the farm we shot last week and nothing, we continued round the farm and found approx 150/200 sitting in the trees round the rape, nothing feeding, nothing flighting. We spoke to the farmer as they had a shoot on but he confirmed we could shoot so we returned to decide the best position . No birds when we returned and we watched it for twenty minutes nothing returned. So we went on another loop looking , nothing. 

So we phoned another farmer with rape , they also had a shoot on it but he said that he had looked at some rape on another farm he rents and the birds were sunning themselves in a bare patch in the centre of the rape. So we drove over to it and the birds were still in the bare patch approx 100. 

We noticed that the birds were coming from a ploughed fields over the road, so we set up on the rape field with our back to the road facing the bare patch. We are not able to shoot the plough as they do not allow shooting as its Quaker owned. 

The plan was that the birds would be spooked by our shooting and leave the plough and come over our heads and drop in the bare patch, we were set up for 12.30 and shot till it finished at 15.00 with a grand total of eighteen birds, we checked the crops and they were rammed with maize off the plough . But that's the fascination and challenge of pigeon shooting. 

You also prove we are human , or should I say some of us :lol:, these are the sort of bags we can relate to when we are having a good day , which isn't very often at this time of the year .

Today we were game shooting in what is normally a good area for pigeons near Norwich , we passed several recently harvested beet fields and  rape fields at varying height , and if we had shot all the pigeons we saw  , we still wouldn't had beaten your days bag . so human yes , but until you report a total blank , normal ....... no  :lol:

Over here in sunny Norfolk we are used to small numbers this time of the year, I watched two machines lifting beet today, right behind them were two tractors one ploughing, the other harrowing and drilling at the same time, the entire field , about 50 acres was cleared ploughed and drilled in one day, I walked across the fresh turned ground when they had passed, not a seed in sight, and also more importantly, not a bird in sight.

I have had a few on hawthorn berries using lofters in the top of the hedge, but numbers are barely worth the effort, my freezer has been half full of birds since the middle of October , adding only a few each week and mostly young birds, 

We had our first real frosts here this morning, white over looking like snow, the sun came up into a clear blue sky and melted it off by 9.00, so a few more like that and maybe just maybe the birds will begin to turn onto the rape, 

I have been down with a stinker of a cold all week so could not have gone out but as its now lifting I fancy a go on the rape early next week, lets hope my luck will be in.:lol::lol: