Royal Mail

timmytree

Just who do they employ nowadays?
I got a letter yesterday to a TA6 address, mine is TA7. Wrong name, wrong street name, wrong village name. The only similarity is the other person lives at number 8 but 9 miles away! To make it worse there is no return address. It looks official so in all good conscience I'm going to deliver it myself tomorrow afternoon and make sure it gets to the right place just in case it's important. 
Absolutely pathetic service, not the first time I've had issues with Royal Fail, last month they "lost" a cheque for £1000 which only had to go 20 miles.
That involved me having to go into the bank and cancel a cheque and issue a replacement, another hour of my time wasted because of a substandard service. Surely if we post stuff with RM we enter into a contract for their service? If they fail or cock up like this surely we should be able to claim damages?
It's got to the point where I won't be using the postal service anymore. Too late, too unreliable and too expensive for a substandard service.
Timmytree

•  

Why not open it first it could be nothing and then you will have a wasted journey.if it has the right address on take it to post office 

and tell them to deliver it to the right address.

i had a letter that looked official yesterday opened it and it was complete rubbish 

Just now, Swinton said:

Why not open it first it could be nothing and then you will have a wasted journey.if it has the right address on take it to post office 

and tell them to deliver it to the right address.

i had a letter that looked official yesterday opened it and it was complete rubbish 

I took your advice, it's a letter giving an appointment for the recipient to have vascular surgery; I'll deliver it myself. No way am I leaving it to the ***** at RM who can't get an address or postcode right.

Well, in answer to your initial question, at this time of year there will be a large number of temporary staff employed because of the huge volume of mail approaching the Christmas season. They do deliver in excess of 70 million letters/parcels per day so there are bound to be some mistakes.

Items do get mis-sorted and appear in the wrong routes and when you're in a hurry it's not so difficult to misread a postcode or address, certainly I've done the same thing.

Obviously it's annoying but there will always be some level of human error.

Maybe give a thought to those of us who are out there delivering your parcels/mail. I clocked just under 60 hours last week (working for Parcel Force, not RM, but the same group), don't get me wrong I'll have a nice paycheck next week but atm my life is little more than working, eating and sleeping and will remain that way until January.

Just now, billytheghillie said:

how are you going to explain the opened letter?

The truth, how are RM going to explain a patient missing surgery because they're bloody useless?

If I reposted the letter it would take another three days which is one day too late. I think I've made the best decision in this case. Better than reposting or putting it in the bin.

Just now, Danger-Mouse said:

Well, in answer to your initial question, at this time of year there will be a large number of temporary staff employed because of the huge volume of mail approaching the Christmas season. They do deliver in excess of 70 million letters/parcels per day so there are bound to be some mistakes.

Items do get mis-sorted and appear in the wrong routes and when you're in a hurry it's not so difficult to misread a postcode or address, certainly I've done the same thing.

Obviously it's annoying but there will always be some level of human error.

Maybe give a thought to those of us who are out there delivering your parcels/mail. I clocked just under 60 hours last week (working for Parcel Force, not RM, but the same group), don't get me wrong I'll have a nice paycheck next week but atm my life is little more than working, eating and sleeping and will remain that way until January.

The only similar thing in the address was Number 8, everything else was completely different. Not good is it? 

1 minute ago, timmytree said:

The only similar thing in the address was Number 8, everything else was completely different. Not good is it? 

Obviously not, but nonetheless it's a surprisingly easy error to make. You said your address is TA7 and the other is TA6, are the last 3 digits and letters of the postcode identical? If so then it's possible the postie doesn't even cover the TA6 area and barely glanced at the first numeral, presuming he was in the correct area. If you think you're on the correct street then all that interests you is the house number.

WE receive Mail for 4 different companies on the site at work. We are at the top of the road, apart from some absolutely diabolical mis-deliveries, we get a lot for much further along the road. I strongly suspect it is laziness on the part of the Postman.

Last year we had one particular envelope delivered to us 5 times even though it was covered in red redirect stickers that we are given to use by the Post Office!

!!d3f2+w!(M_$(KGrHqIOKjYE)nlQuK2-BMpoUbW,Ug___2.JPG

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE

13 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

Cannot think of a single grumble about our postie but the PO in general is a different matter.

My local postie is very good and very helpful; However, when he is on leave, or on his day off, one of the replacements we had a while back was useless - and after the post had been delivered the village street was full of residents holding letters are passing on to the correct recipients - quite funny the first time and got to chat to neighbours, but a pain when it happened weekly and it was raining.

I have also had the experience of things going missing (not high value, but urgently needed spare parts) - and they weren't in the slightest bit interested.

As I work away I tend to order a lot of bits online ( it’s like Xmas when I get home ).

One place we lived our Postie made a complaint to my wife that she is having to deliver too much to us! Doh, it’s is a Postsl service after all, without Customers then there wouldn’t be a Postal Service.

Luckily our current ones are great, prob a little gift for them this year Xmas is in order ( do people still do that and if so, what’s appropriate?)

2 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

As I work away I tend to order a lot of bits online ( it’s like Xmas when I get home ).

One place we lived our Postie made a complaint to my wife that she is having to deliver too much to us! Doh, it’s is a Postsl service after all, without Customers then there wouldn’t be a Postal Service.

Luckily our current ones are great, prob a little gift for them this year Xmas is in order ( do people still do that and if so, what’s appropriate?)

Yes i do, my postman is great, he loves walking, on his days of, so i get him a nice book about walking . As i am two miles of the main road , he will take letters that need posting .if i am out , he knows were to leave stuff . He often calling in at some of the older folks to see if they are ok .

Overall I have got nothing but praise for the postal service , our sub post office in the village have got friendly staff , our postman goes out of his way to give my dog a biscuit when we are at home , and as for the service , just lately I have posted several china plates and glass framed pictures and touch wood I haven't had one damaged , all mine are sent second class and in a lot of cases if sent Saturday morning before the collection time there is a good possibility they will arrive at the buyers address Monday morning .

All right , some people have good reason to complain , but in my findings its nice to give praise where praise is due .

Well I work in Weston super Mare and the postie's on the whole are ****, at work they manage to give us the neighbours mail and the neighbours ours. Now we are talking businesses with totally different names above premises, there is one day we are closed so we have a keepsake for that day but yes you guessed it we still get attempted deliveries on that day. We have door entry system but the postie preferes to knock the door instead of pressing the button in front of him which you might say does it matter well yes it does because when I am upstairs I can't see or hear the knock but I can use the door entry intercom from several offices. So they can't read, they can't follow proceedure, and they have no common sense and just to top it off there is no cultural or language barrier involved they are just simply dense.

Guess what?

Got another letter for the same lady today, same sort of envelope with no return address. A visit to the local sorting office is imminent to point out the only similarity in address and name is the bloody number. Even with a clear postcode they can't get it right. Are postmen tested to see if they can read?

Posted a parcel via the Post Office, from the Midlands to Cumbria last Thursday midday.........today (Wednesday) the intended recipient reported it still hadn't arrived.......bloody hopeless! I have tried several carriers in the past.....I'm at a loss to find a a value for money, trustworthy, reliable, punctual service!:no:

Edited by panoma1