Royal Mail - Tracker

kaunda

Anyone had recent trouble with this system ? All I ever get is " The system is currently unable to confirm the status of your item ".This has been going on for a week and I do seem to be getting anything for my high cost for using the system. Similarlly. I do not seem able to find a ' complaint hotline'.Gratefull for your views.

I think the issue is this;

There are several services, tracked, signed for (both first and second class), Special delivery, and several 'Parcel Force' bradned services that are (supposed to be) supported as the final delivery may, or may not be done by Royal Mail, namely Express (several time options), next day and 48 hour.

Some services track at every 'handling point', e.g. collecting service/sending office, regional hub at send end, national hub, regional hub at destination end, local delivery office.

Others (I think the signed for variant) only get tracked when put on the local delivery van.

It is not (as far as I'm aware) set down clearly anywhere what you actually get for a type of service, and frequently the sender isn't given the correct 'name' for the service (e.g. they are told 'recorded delivery' when there isn't any such service any more).  What is more, the tracking number doesn't seem to 'tell' the system what service it was issued against.

Frankly, it's a mess - and the confusion caused assists them when the service fails, as no one clearly knows what they had paid for.

Recorded/signed for is exactly that - it gets signed for on delivery to trigger the tracking. If posty leaves it somewhere without getting a signature it cannot be found. I've had too many items go missing and had to replace them using RMSD to ensure the same doesn't happen again..

I suspect its a deliberate attempt to get more people using RMSD which is fully tracked everywhere the package changes its location or handler. It works beautilly  and I've had no more issues with buyers claiming they did not get their item. I don't mind paying the extra because the system clearly incurrs a lot of modern resources. Years ago we either got package or didnt get it.

• 1 month later...
On 27/11/2017 at 14:45, JohnfromUK said:

I think the issue is this;

There are several services, tracked, signed for (both first and second class), Special delivery, and several 'Parcel Force' bradned services that are (supposed to be) supported as the final delivery may, or may not be done by Royal Mail, namely Express (several time options), next day and 48 hour.

Some services track at every 'handling point', e.g. collecting service/sending office, regional hub at send end, national hub, regional hub at destination end, local delivery office.

Others (I think the signed for variant) only get tracked when put on the local delivery van.

It is not (as far as I'm aware) set down clearly anywhere what you actually get for a type of service, and frequently the sender isn't given the correct 'name' for the service (e.g. they are told 'recorded delivery' when there isn't any such service any more).  What is more, the tracking number doesn't seem to 'tell' the system what service it was issued against.

Frankly, it's a mess - and the confusion caused assists them when the service fails, as no one clearly knows what they had paid for.

+1

What on earth does this mean?:

"The sender has advised us they're preparing your item. More information will be available when we receive it."

The item could take several days to 'prepare' yet it is given a tracking number - letting someone of the hook. Surely, no tracking number should be given by the carrier until such time as the item are in their hands.

9 minutes ago, wymberley said:

+1

What on earth does this mean?:

"The sender has advised us they're preparing your item. More information will be available when we receive it."

The item could take several days to 'prepare' yet it is given a tracking number - letting someone of the hook. Surely, no tracking number should be given by the carrier until such time as the item are in their hands.

If they didn't give the parcel a tracking number when the sender booked the job, they wouldn't know there was a parcel to collect. I see your point, but there has to be some way they can identify a parcel needs collecting from the sender. The sender might book it on a Saturday evening for instance and it won't be collected till Monday. 

21 minutes ago, wymberley said:

It often means that they have booked a collection by Royal Mail/Parcelforce.  This can mean specifying the parcel sizes/weights etc - especially where there are a number of parcels to be collected (like a warehouse) so that the appropriate transport is sent, or it is a large or heavy parcel.

Having said that - there is often confusion raised by the despatching person;  I bought an eBay item soon before Christmas - and the seller advised me a "My Hermes" tracking number.  I followed this up and initially it said "we are waiting for the parcel to enter our system" ......... then it changed to  "transaction cancelled".  I was a little disturbed by this ..... and decided that I would await the allotted delivery window (and if it didn't arrive by then, contact the seller) - at which time the item arrived delivered, not by "My Hermes", but by my postman!

15 minutes ago, walshie said:

If they didn't give the parcel a tracking number when the sender booked the job, they wouldn't know there was a parcel to collect. I see your point, but there has to be some way they can identify a parcel needs collecting from the sender. The sender might book it on a Saturday evening for instance and it won't be collected till Monday. 

"Good morning, Post Office Counter staff. Look, I owe Walshie £500 which I'm going to post. Can you give me a tracking number so I can tell him his money is in the post and I'll pop in later with the letter?"

12 minutes ago, wymberley said:

"Good morning, Post Office Counter staff. Look, I owe Walshie £500 which I'm going to post. Can you give me a tracking number so I can tell him his money is in the post and I'll pop in later with the letter?"

:lol: Cool. Cheers. 

That's why they don't give you any details until the parcel is in their possession. A number is only a number till it is attached to the parcel. 

Parcelforce are a joke. Just trying to find a tracked parcel I sent to Croatia on the 14th and tracking says exported  on the 15th and it hasn’t arrived yet.. Customer services haven’t replied also.

Royal Mail is almost as bad. Sent a parcel again to croatia , but normal first class and that was on the 17th and again still not arrived.

Maybe there being stolen in Croatia or here but the only thing I will use them for in future is sending letters. 

Maybe there being stolen in Croatia or here but the only thing I will use them for in future is sending letters. 

A bit hard on the Croatians. There are enough thieves in the Royal Mail / Parcelforce to man a small army. Some take the job merely to have the opportunity to steal. Before anyone who works for them gets a bit indignant, their own investigation staff were of the opinion that over 50% were bent. The staff were divided into totally honest, hardworking individuals, who would never, ever steal and those who were like children set free in a toffee shop.

1 hour ago, Gordon R said:

A bit hard on the Croatians. There are enough thieves in the Royal Mail / Parcelforce to man a small army. Some take the job merely to have the opportunity to steal. Before anyone who works for them gets a bit indignant, their own investigation staff were of the opinion that over 50% were bent. The staff were divided into totally honest, hardworking individuals, who would never, ever steal and those who were like children set free in a toffee shop.

If true, I find 50% an incredible figure to believe!

13 hours ago, Gordon R said:

They didn't say it was 50% - it was over.  Royal Mail haven't got a clue who they employ - or they wouldn't be employing asylum seekers with no right to work.

Well that is truly shocking IF true, how they can guess at a figure like that I find suspect, otherwise why haven't the offenders been sacked.

See the documentry on London sorting office a reporter got a job with them and the workforce boasted of the scams and showed how easy it is to steal cards/parcels money etc.And no its not an immigrant bash a whole lot of them were illegals/not allowed to works but theres no background checks at all