Speeding Fine (Best option)?

evolution380

Hi All,

I'll try and keep this short.

I got caught speeding some months ago and after numerous correspondence have received a letter which gives me 3 x options.

- Plead Guilty and go to court

- Plead Guilty and don't go to court.

- Plead not Guilty and request a court date.

I've already stated in correspondence that I was the driver and the offence is for doing 56mph in a 30.

I have no excuse and I do hold my hands up but due to the new fine structure I think it's most likely to be a capped £1000 fine and 6 points.

Does anybody know how it may affect the penalty if I go to court or if i don't go to court? I just don't know the procedure but with the car I committed the offence in they may wish to make an example of me. (Mitsubishi Evo)

The fact is i had not drove said car for 6months and was actually taking somebody on a test drive and sold the car that day. 

I had past the camera van that caught me twice (at 30mph) and on the second time once out of the built up area 300 yards down the road going away from camera van I put my foot down approaching the 50mph zone.

Now I'm not making excuses but 56 in a 30 is a ridiculous speed and I'd never do this in a built up area, where I put my foot down the road conditions are exactly the same of that as a 50mph road which I was accelerating into (no lampposts and not built up.

This doesn't excuse my speed as I knew I was still in a 30 zone but I knew the hazards were not the same.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ask for proof then go and have a look at the photo i did a few years ago and questioned when the camera was last calibrated and was told that morning..

When i asked how they said it was checked by a police car ?? next question was when was the police cars speedo calibrated they hadn't a clue...

Still had to pay the fine but didn't get any points,,

1 minute ago, hawkeye said:

Ask for proof then go and have a look at the photo i did a few years ago and questioned when the camera was last calibrated and was told that morning..

When i asked how they said it was checked by a police car ?? next question was when was the police cars speedo calibrated they hadn't a clue...

Still had to pay the fine but didn't get any points,,

I have a photo evidence which they supplied but no video.

One thing that is suspect is they claim they were filming cars heading East (as I was) but I'm sure they moved there camera to snap on to me as the car would have been making some racket.

I think they were actually filming cars heading West coming from the 50 zone into the 30 as they wouldn't be able to see the van. It makes no sense for them to be filming cars from the 30 into the 50. This is some statement the camera man made on some evidence in the back of the letter they sent me.

On one of the photos there is a suspect mark on the bumper almost as if the camera isn't correctly focussed like the camera has been dragged from one side of the road to the other.

I think pleading not guilty will land you with a  guilty verdict and a whopping fine. I think the Magistrates would think you were trying it on - as you would be - having admitted the offence.

The question you have to consider is whether you believe anything you could say would induce the Mags to give you a lesser fine. If you are confident that you have those powers - appear in court. Personally, I would just plead guilty and pay up.

I have seen many people in a witness box and few seem to perform well.

25 minutes ago, evolution380 said:

It makes no sense for them to be filming cars from the 30 into the 50

It make perfect sense, it's to catch people speeding up before they reach the 50 limit. (which I would say almost everyone has done)

I would pleade guilty and accept whatever the fine and points are, in my opinion going to court could make things worse. There are a few forums dedicated to camera road offences, I would post on there and see what they say.

Simply if you did it plead guilty and don't go to court.  It shouldn't result in a ban but the fine sounds painful. Going to court you can plead poverty and that it won't happen again as you've sold it but its unlikely to make a difference.  You may of course get requested if they are considering a ban but fingers crossed

14 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

It make perfect sense, it's to catch people speeding up before they reach the 50 limit. (which I would say almost everyone has done)

I would pleade guilty and accept whatever the fine and points are, in my opinion going to court could make things worse. There are a few forums dedicated to camera road offences, I would post on there and see what they say.

I suppose but everyone is aware the van is there once past it but i guess people assume there out of view like i did. In my opinion that does nothing for road safety. The real issue with that road is people steaming from the 50 zone into the 30 all drive through the built up area of the village at about 40 before reaching the 50 zone in the other direction. And cars coming in this direction can't see the van until its too late so usually they opt for that id of thought as they would catch people all day long.

I'll be pleading guilty nevertheless but honestly do believe if they panned to my side of the road they wouldn't have got an accurate speed, I only had about 150 yards of acceleration from where I started to put my foot down at 30mph heading to the 50 zone and they caught my somewhere in the middle having double my speed almost.

I honestly believe I didn't exceed 50 in that area I was actually rather shocked when I saw the speed as I assumed it would be in the 40's when I realised the event.

Don't want to risk worsening my fine points but I do believe they have lied in their statement.

The thing that makes me laugh is, you get these scumbags that rob some old couple. Get a £200 fine and pay it off £5 a week.

You can guarantee as I'm employed i'll get £1000 fine and it will need to be paid within 28 days despite any financial commitments I may have

2 minutes ago, evolution380 said:

I suppose but everyone is aware the van is there once past it but i guess people assume there out of view like i did. In my opinion that does nothing for road safety. The real issue with that road is people steaming from the 50 zone into the 30 all drive through the built up area of the village at about 40 before reaching the 50 zone in the other direction. And cars coming in this direction can't see the van until its too late so usually they opt for that id of thought as they would catch people all day long.

I'll be pleading guilty nevertheless but honestly do believe if they panned to my side of the road they wouldn't have got an accurate speed, I only had about 150 yards of acceleration from where I started to put my foot down at 30mph heading to the 50 zone and they caught my somewhere in the middle having double my speed almost.

I honestly believe I didn't exceed 50 in that area I was actually rather shocked when I saw the speed as I assumed it would be in the 40's when I realised the event.

Don't want to risk worsening my fine points but I do believe they have lied in their statement.

Was they on your side of the carriageway?

1 hour ago, evolution380 said:

Hi All,

I'll try and keep this short.

I got caught speeding some months ago and after numerous correspondence have received a letter which gives me 3 x options.

- Plead Guilty and go to court

- Plead Guilty and don't go to court.

- Plead not Guilty and request a court date.

Take it on the chin!

29 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

Then you may well have a case of interference on the radar if there was oncoming traffic given a false reading

These are the photo's..

Think I'm going to go the guilty don't go to court route..

My main reason to query cause in the back of my mind i think they have lied in their statement (in the first photo on the bumper) not in focus.

But I genuinely think they were filming cars travelling the other way, it's a busy road trying to film across it would usually lead to it clear footage being blocked.

I am taking it on the chin, never denied any wrong doing but  just checking my options as most people I'm sure would do.

image1_2.jpg
image2_2.jpg

Edited by evolution380

Any challenge you could bring up would be around calibration of equipment, training of the operator or anything that could interfere with the readings. You have to weigh up whether you're able to demonstrate any of those vs the risk and cost of appearing. For me, you know you were speeding and don't know by exactly how much so I'd not go to court as painful as it is to accept the landing. 

Just now, evolution380 said:

These are the photo's..

Think I'm going to go the guilty don't go to court route..

But I genuinely think they were filming cars travelling the other way, it's a busy road trying to film across it would usually lead to it clear footage being blocked.

I am taking it on the chin, never denied any wrong doing but  just checking my options as most people I'm sure would do.

image1_2.jpg
image2_2.jpg

I think that's probably the right choice:good:

Oh I know that but if he was caught it will be academic, he is considering going to court over something he has done.

I can just see the judges wry smile when Evo steps up and says I admit speeding but was only doing 50 mph in a 30 zone not 56.

I expect the judge to ask if he is so sure, was he actually monitoring his speed? That would lead to the question, so Me Evo you were deliberately doing 50 mph in a 30 zone?

Just now, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Oh I know that but if he was caught it will be academic, he is considering going to court over something he has done.

I can just see the judges wry smile when Evo steps up and says I admit speeding but was only doing 50 mph in a 30 zone not 56.

I expect the judge to ask if he is so sure, was he actually monitoring his speed? That would lead to the question, so Me Evo you were deliberately doing 50 mph in a 30 zone?

Which is why i raised the question to be honest.

Pleading not guilty was never an option, i was always going to 'take it on the chin'. I just didn't know if there was any merit in appearing at court.

I assumed the case went to caught either way and the judge just reviewed the evidence and handed out a max sentence if the 'defendant' wasn't in attendance. I wasn't sure if they'd make an example out of me due to the car in question also thinking i'm some kind of 'boy racer' in an evo which isn't the case. 

I wasn't sure either if i'd likely worsen or better my fine/points by attending or if it made no difference.

AND

I was genuinely curious and suspect regarding their statements within the evidence as I believe they are lying. 

HOWEVER

It sounds like it may be best to just opt for the plead guilty and don't go to court option, from what you said above I'd only back myself into a corner :good:

You state you seen the camera van and had already passed it twice, then you went on to speed after passing said camera van again going upto 56 knowing it was a 30 zone and come on here admitting as much publicly. 

I would have just accepted I’d been stupid and paid the fine and take the points and kept very quiet about it. 

Unless you know something mitigating we don’t then speak to a solicitor.