Speeding Fine (Best option)?

evolution380

5 minutes ago, guzzicat said:

50 in a 30 zone I would have kept quiet about it rather than expose my crime, yes CRIME on here how many people are killed by drivers doing 50 in a 30?

Already explained i wasn't speeding through the built up area the road conditions were no different to that of the 50 zone. I'd already past this van at 30mph in both directions which illustrates i'm not 'careless'. 

I bet even you on your high horse have accelerated from a speed limit into a higher speed limit knowing the road conditions and hazards are exactly the same (i.e not built up, no houses)

Ok thanks for all the suggestions.

Mods may close if they wish :good:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, henry d said:

Doesn`t matter what the road conditions are, the sign shows you where the 50 limit starts and the 30 finishes, if anyone gets caught there then so be it.

Which is why i'm pleading guilty. I was speeding I've admitted that and I'll take the relevant fine / points on the chin.

Probably didn't best approach the topic but I didn't know if good character may help in anyway if appearing at the court. I've never had a criminal record in my life nor a motoring offence since i was a teenager so it's a big deal to me and I don't know the process/differences in attending court or not attending court whilst pleading guilty.

Bit strong for people to jump to the 'how many people are killed by drivers doing 50' i'd be willing to bet most forum members have sped at some point in their life granted it will be of varying degrees of seriousness. 

8 minutes ago, walshie said:

I don't really see how they could have made a mistake. The crosshairs are clearly aiming at your car and it clearly says the speed.

Was this really back in May?

Yes back in may, NIP was through within 2 weeks then a follow up saying it had been forwarded on to another department. 

Then silence until last week.

20 minutes ago, walshie said:

Was this really back in May?

But was it back in May? They only have 14 days to produce a NIP, if it took more than 14 days (not to receive but for them to post) then it's not valid. Have a search online for received NIP after 14 days.

Should add day of offence, doesn't count as one of the 14

Edited by Newbie to this

11 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

But was it back in May? They only have 14 days to produce a NIP, if it took more than 14 days (not to receive but for them to post) then it's not valid. Have a search online for received NIP after 14 days.

Should add day of offence, doesn't count as one of the 14

4 minutes ago, Swinton said:

Thanks,

The NIP came through within a week however. They've just been slow at processing this thereafter.

Another consideration is declaring this and hope it doesn't affect your cert..

Form F201

Section 13

Convictions and offences
You must not withhold information about any conviction. This includes motoring offences (including
speeding offences), binding overs, formal written warnings, cautions and convictions in and outside
Great Britain, and (by virtue of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975)
convictions which are spent under the 1974 Act. A conditional discharge and an absolute discharge both
count as convictions for this purpose. Details of parking offences and fixed penalty notices do not need
to be declared

30 minutes ago, Snoozer said:

Another consideration is declaring this and hope it doesn't affect your cert..

Form F201

Section 13

Convictions and offences
You must not withhold information about any conviction. This includes motoring offences (including
speeding offences), binding overs, formal written warnings, cautions and convictions in and outside
Great Britain, and (by virtue of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975)
convictions which are spent under the 1974 Act. A conditional discharge and an absolute discharge both
count as convictions for this purpose. Details of parking offences and fixed penalty notices do not need
to be declared

The speeding offence was prior to me obtaining my SGC but I'd received my NIP prior to my interview. I told the FAO during my interview that I was likely to have a court summons for speeding so they were aware before I was even given my SGC. My FAO is very approachable and had very little problem with the offence as I had been so upfront with him.

Once I have received the fine and points I will be letting them know so they can update their records along with my insurance company. 

48 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

So you have already pleaded guilty and opted not to go to court? as you only have 28 days to respond

No the NIP was just to declare I was driving, all of the information for me to plead guilty etc. has only came thru within the last week.

38 minutes ago, Luckyshot said:

I was prosecuted years ago for similar speed, went to court and got 6 points and a £350 fine which had to be paid in full within 7 days.

If you was a low life and was convicted of mugging someone you might have got away with £5 a week and probably a lesser fine! 

Edited by evolution380

23 minutes ago, Winston72 said:

if your guilty be a man grow a set and take your punishment without whining, as previously stated there is seemingly no mitigation save your self a days wages and don't go to court

Where did I whine? 

I stated i'd be pleading guilty. I was seeking advice primarily of if appearing at court would be of any benefit and prevent them throwing the book at you.

Got a decent set of plums on me tar.

If I were you I would go to Court just to say sorry and give some explanation by way of mitigation (NB you can't say anything that would construe a defence, it has to be your sincere apology and mitigating reasons why e.g. not driven the car in a while, accelerating into the 50 mph etc and to remind the Court that the road conditions were good and this wasn't outside a school).

56 mph in a 30 mph under the new regime is dicey - not just in terms of the fine (which will be a whopper).

https://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk/offences/item/speeding-revised-2017/

Also if you turn up and cry, you might get time to pay the fine by instalment.

If you already have points, I'd be thinking about a cheap junior barrister to say sorry properly for me.

4 minutes ago, mossy835 said:

i pad the £100 fine and took the 3 points

This ^^^

Whenever you get offered a fixed 3 points and a fixed fine, take it. There's no shame in certainty.

The amount of people that think they can slip their medicine by arguing the ink on the ticket was the wrong colour - for the 1000 that try, 1 will succeed, and the 999 that failed and made a nuisance of themselves, they get double medicine.

I doubt this was a fixed penalty moment because it came through the post and the reading is high.

24 minutes ago, Mungler said:

If I were you I would go to Court just to say sorry and give some explanation by way of mitigation (NB you can't say anything that would construe a defence, it has to be your sincere apology and mitigating reasons why e.g. not driven the car in a while, accelerating into the 50 mph etc and to remind the Court that the road conditions were good and this wasn't outside a school).

56 mph in a 30 mph under the new regime is dicey - not just in terms of the fine (which will be a whopper).

https://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk/offences/item/speeding-revised-2017/

Also if you turn up and cry, you might get time to pay the fine by instalment.

If you already have points, I'd be thinking about a cheap junior barrister to say sorry properly for me.

This ^^^

Whenever you get offered a fixed 3 points and a fixed fine, take it. There's no shame in certainty.

The amount of people that think they can slip their medicine by arguing the ink on the ticket was the wrong colour - for the 1000 that try, 1 will succeed, and the 999 that failed and made a nuisance of themselves, they get double medicine.

I doubt this was a fixed penalty moment because it came through the post and the reading is high.

Thank you for the reply! Very useful.

Yes I don't want to go and make excuses, just want to at least have the judge put a face to the name than assume i'm some boy racer. 

Appreciate the reply and information! 

I would attend court, also ask in advance for test/calibration cert of detector appliance and operators details of camera van in question. Might get lucky and get off on a technicality, happened to me once before, if you question anything and appear in court personally - there has to be a police barrister in attendance, they are not known for taking risks and will drop charges like a hot potato if theres the slightest doubt.

PS- I do not condone 56 in a 30, and have a distinct loathing of loud cars from the orient, but I am no saint and have in the past indulged in the odd adrenaline fueled excursion.. 

Me matt - the only problem with your proposal is that you are suggesting a Not Guilty plea, where evidence would be examined. If he is entering a Guilty plea, his only contribution will be mitigation, not arguing the facts. You can't plead guilty and then start questioning the evidence.

Well, you could, but you would be cut short and could watch the fine rising before your very eyes.

59 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

Me matt - the only problem with your proposal is that you are suggesting a Not Guilty plea, where evidence would be examined. If he is entering a Guilty plea, his only contribution will be mitigation, not arguing the facts. You can't plead guilty and then start questioning the evidence.

Well, you could, but you would be cut short and could watch the fine rising before your very eyes.

No- thats not what I said.

I apperaed in court and pleaeded guilty with limited culpability having taken legal advice.

Turned out after examining the evidence the police barrister was not satisfied with equipment certs provided by the force in question and dropped all charges.

I hope it’s all sorted with the least amount of pain.

my friend was caught at 56 mph in a 30 but received a week ban. He entered the 30 and within the first 30 yards was done .

we have all done something silly it’s just if we get caught or not.

anyone that says they haven’t broken the law is telling lies , 31mph in a 30 , not paid for that carrier bag etc . 

Ive now got cruise control in my van and I find it helps loads for watching my speed. 

Wish you luck either way ;)