Is this the Norm

Jakey Boy

Hi Guys,

More of an understanding rather than a moan ......

Pigeons have been very few and far between in my area of late, so a friend and I decided to pay for a DIY day in Leicestershire. We turned up at the agreed time for the guide to say he was busy with other things ? However, his directions were great and we found the fields with no problem. As we drove in about 100 or so birds got up and disappeared, hoping this would give us a window to set up and get comfy for the onslaught. An hour had past with not a thing in the sky, I heard a motor thinking this was him and he could find another spot. It wasn't, it  was another shooter ? The field was far too small for another shooter, and when we chatted he thought the same too but we knuckled down to make the most of it.

Another hour later we had one shot and the other guy had two or three. The guide turned up took our money and said it will pick up lunchtime. One p.m. came and went and so did the other guy. I phoned the guide who said to move 5 miles down the road where he has seen a steady stream of birds. Got there, and not a bird to be seen so called him again for him to say well they were here last week ? Gave it a hour and saw one crow, we gave it up as a bad day and drove home.

I understand that that's pigeon shooting, but do you find his efforts acceptable or "is this the Norm" ?

I am not a pigeon guide but I have took a few people out from where I worked and believe you me I didn't stop working and looking to give the people a good as day as I could give them with whatever pigeons we had on the estate at the time I took them out, I felt I couldn't had done any more than what I did and as far as I know they went away happy with the amount of pigeons they shot .

So I would have thought you got a poor deal and in future try and go by recommendation . All the best.

In defence of the so called guide this is a difficult time of the year to shoot any amount of pigeons , at the moment I could spend 2 to 3 days looking at all the varying places you would expect to see any pigeon activity and more or less come up with a blank, also you would need to take the weather in consideration , heavy rain , frost and fog are not the best conditions to be out pigeon shooting.

Also by seeing another shooter coming to shoot on the same field would make me wonder how many times that area had been shot .

At the end of the day  just because you have paid for your days sport there is no guarantee you will shoot a decent bag , but having said that , a good guide should have been seen to be doing his upmost to provide you with the best of what is available  on the day.

9 hours ago, marsh man said:

In defence of the so called guide this is a difficult time of the year to shoot any amount of pigeons , at the moment I could spend 2 to 3 days looking at all the varying places you would expect to see any pigeon activity and more or less come up with a blank, also you would need to take the weather in consideration , heavy rain , frost and fog are not the best conditions to be out pigeon shooting.

Also by seeing another shooter coming to shoot on the same field would make me wonder how many times that area had been shot .

At the end of the day  just because you have paid for your days sport there is no guarantee you will shoot a decent bag , but having said that , a good guide should have been seen to be doing his upmost to provide you with the best of what is available  on the day.

How can you defend the undefenceable? 

The so called guide took money from the OP and others, provided no service other than access to the land and did nothing to help finding any quarry.

13 hours ago, motty said:

Someone certainly had their pants pulled down!

I had one day of "guided" pigeon shooting. Never again!

jesus wept !!................how on earth did you find yourself in the position feeling that you needed to pay for pigeon shooting ??.........that is about as ludicrous as Prince Harry paying for a knee trembler at a "grab a granny night".......

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

jesus wept !!................how on earth did you find yourself in the position feeling that you needed to pay for pigeon shooting ??.........that is about as ludicrous as Prince Harry paying for a knee trembler at a "grab a granny night".......

It was a present from my dad. The "guide" was certainly well versed in excuses.

I wouldn't waste my money, but I understand why folk pay for pigeon shooting.

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

How can you defend the undefenceable? 

The so called guide took money from the OP and others, provided no service other than access to the land and did nothing to help finding any quarry.

I wasn't defending the actions of what effort ( if any ) the so called guide put in to provide a days pigeon shooting , I was trying to say , this is not the best time of the year to pay for a days pigeon shooting , with the game season in full swing , pigeons showing very little interest in the local rape and taking the weather conditions in consideration .

As I said , I could have spent 2 to 3 days looking around the area I had available and came up with very little, so on the day the results in numbers shot could have been the same or very similar , having said that , I would had informed the paying guns the situation prior to them coming and if they did decide to give it a go I would have kept in constant contact and if they had drawn a blank I would had offered them a days pigeon shooting at a later date in the  Spring or late Summer when I could more or less guarantee giving the guns some sport  free of charge , but then I am not a guide and have never ripped anyone off in my life and I certainly wouldn't do it to fellow sportsmen .  

7 hours ago, ditchman said:

Some people don't live in The Wolds or another similar pigeon Paradise! The birds in my area are few and far between in comparison, most farms either have a game shoot or someone from "The Smoke" who pays. I can understand why Jake was desperate.....

NB, Found some for tomorrow...................(please God)

NB 2 My reply should be below Ditchman's comment, don't know what I did wrong bit I'm answering him not vice verse

Edited by kitchrat

Kitchrat.................

i was pulling Motties leg not yours.................................to be fair there are a lot of very decent pigeon guides about...who know their stuff...and dont charge you if you blank...like everything else in this life you pays your bit and takes yer choice..:good: