Sparky advice required

novice cushie shooter

If it's just an extra light to come on with this switch will simply be a case of running some 1mm t&e to the light fitting. The live (brown) will go to the terminal with the black and brown wire already in it and then the blue with the others and the earth linked in with the others. Is the new light going in the bathroom? If it is you will have to take into account the zones in the bathroom. 

47 minutes ago, decoy1979 said:

No notification required, but a new light should not be fed from the switch. Anyone telling you to connect blue, brown or otherwise based on a picture are talking out of there ****. Unless you have a means of proving what is live or neutral get a pro to do it.

Good luck and stay safe..

This,

looks like there's two way lighting in that switch. That said it does look like the live, neutral and earth are all there. Two way lighting can get confusing if you don't know what you are doing.

2 hours ago, Wiggum said:

If the new light is going in the bathroom the work will need to be carried out by a qualified sparky and building control notified as it’s a special location I’m afraid. 

nothing to fear crack on  google sparkys, its only us registered clowns that do it for a living that have to play by the rules.

Edited by Remimax

2 hours ago, Newbie to this said:

If you are having to read a book to do the job, then get the pros in to do it. Electricity is dangerous in more ways than one

Read a good few books on electrics when I was doing my apprenticeship.
How'd you gain the information to qualify as a sparkie in the London area, osmosis? Some sort of Cockney mind-melt around 7 pints of Watneys Red Barrel? 

MOST good sparkies keep at least one book on them while on-site (I.E.E. On SIte Guide - the clue is in the name - but reading a book is somehow unprofessional?)
Better to stick with a published set of data than rely on failing/selective memory...

Aside from the fact that most folk following a book WOULD follow the details IN the book, WHY would the publisher of said book publish information in it that was incorrect/dangerous?

16 minutes ago, saddler said:

Read a good few books on electrics when I was doing my apprenticeship.
How'd you gain the information to qualify as a sparkie in the London area, osmosis? Some sort of Cockney mind-melt around 7 pints of Watneys Red Barrel? 

MOST good sparkies keep at least one book on them while on-site (I.E.E. On SIte Guide - the clue is in the name - but reading a book is somehow unprofessional?)
Better to stick with a published set of data than rely on failing/selective memory...

Aside from the fact that most folk following a book WOULD follow the details IN the book, WHY would the publisher of said book publish information in it that was incorrect/dangerous?

No it's called learning from someone in the trade, in my opinion the only way to learn, but you missed my point completely. I would not recommend to anyone who has no idea on electrics (now I don’t know if the OP does or not but my guess would be not, hence asking on a forum), to read a book it'll be fine, knowing the dangers involved

I believe that this is the appropriate advice

Lord Finchley

Lord Finchley tried to mend the Electric Light
Himself. It struck him dead: And serve him right!
It is the business of the wealthy man
To give employment to the artisan.

Hilaire Belloc

On 28/11/2017 at 19:43, bear-uk said:

Can you not just wire a light from the fan? It may stay on whilst the fan is running if its on a timer but its only Brown feed and Blue return to Neg. 

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

is why the rest of us got shafted with Part P and ended up being prohibited from doing much of anything, without having to cross the palm of "someone" with silver