Shotgun chokes

Nfinlay22

Hi all, I bought a mint miruko 6000 30'' sporter a few weeks back. It's has fixed chokes, both half...  It came at decent money because of the fixed chokes but my intention was to send it off to get after market chokes installed from Briley, Teague etc. What would be the best value without spending a ransom. Opinions gratefully received guys... Thanks 

Have a look at the Teague website which gives the price to thread one or both barrels plus the cost of chokes. If you wanted a multi-choke you should perhaps shouldnt have bought a fixed choke in the first place, unless the seller was virtually giving it away. I think I would use the gun with its current chokings for a bit to see how you get on with it. If you spend £400 - £500 getting it multi-choked and then find you just cant get on with it you could end up regretting the expenditure.    https://www.teaguechokes.com/teague-multi-chokes

Edited by JJsDad

When I first started out I felt I was at a disadvantage with a fixed ( half and quarter ) choke gun. With the benefit of hindsight I now know I never was.

If I’m honest it’s good to have the option as I love decoying with full choke ( but that is with my auto so I wouldn’t mind if it was fixed at that ) but the very best game shots I have ever taken have been with quarter choke through a 27” barrelled 101 Winchester fixed choke ( quarter and half ) gun.

I do have an after market Teagued shotgun and it prints fabulous patterns. I can’t tell you how much the process was as I bought it already done. I have no experience of any other companies which do similar work.

Edited by Scully

6 minutes ago, JJsDad said:

Have a look at the Teague website which gives the price to thread one or both barrels plus the cost of chokes. If you wanted a multi-choke you should perhaps shouldnt have bought a fixed choke in the first place, unless the seller was virtually giving it away. I think I would use the gun with its current chokings for a bit to see how you get on with it. If you spend £400 - £500 getting it multi-choked and then find you just cant get on with it you could end up regretting the expenditure.

Or if you spent all that money just to stick in multichokes that are the same as the current choking ??

10 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Or if you spent all that money just to stick in multichokes that are the same as the current choking ??

That is a good point because the OP may find that that is what he ends up doing.

As another poster has mentioned, perhaps the OP should give himself the chance to see if he really needs ( rather than wants ) a multi choke.

Depends what it was bought for. If it was to give the option of a couple of yards extra range where and as necessary, I'd have teague machine and then permanently install Full in the top barrel. Then, as ever, the easiest way to change chokes is to change the cartridge. Should that be deemed too tight then 3/4 up top and open the 1/2 in the bottom to 1/4.

Edited by wymberley

35 minutes ago, Westward said:

If I was buying a fixed choke gun - I'd choose half & half and be happy forever.

3 minutes ago, tweedledee said:

personally I'd let it sit well alone

I agree with both of these, just use as is, there is to much rubbish talked about chokes, use 1/2 and 1/2 in the 32" 725, use 1/4 and 1/4 in the dt11 as it patterns tighter

Nothing wrong with 1/2&1/2 fixed chokes not to tight or to open. 

Dont worry about it and just enjoy shooting it. If you feel you want more open patterns try a bior wad cart like the Hull pro piston. You can alter what your gun throws by changing cartridges as most will pattern different. 

5 hours ago, Nfinlay22 said:

Hi all, I bought a mint miruko 6000 30'' sporter a few weeks back. It's has fixed chokes, both half...  It came at decent money because of the fixed chokes but my intention was to send it off to get after market chokes installed from Briley, Teague etc. What would be the best value without spending a ransom. Opinions gratefully received guys... Thanks 

First of all, pattern the gun at 40 yards with your prefered cartridge and see what it can do. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Once you have a good idea of what it can do, you can then consider if it is worth getting aftermarket chokes retrofitted.

I have multi choke 12G I bought a 1/2 choke to go with the one I already had and have never changed them. 1/2 and 1/2 seem to suit most of what I shoot from pigeons to pheasants and the odd round of DTL and sporting plus I don't have to think about which barrel to shoot first. 

3 minutes ago, Mr gen said:

I have multi choke 12G I bought a 1/2 choke to go with the one I already had and have never changed them. 1/2 and 1/2 seem to suit most of what I shoot from pigeons to pheasants and the odd round of DTL and sporting plus I don't have to think about which barrel to shoot first. 

I do hope you take them out once in a while for a clean.

59 minutes ago, Mr gen said:

Much the same; I have a 'full set' (of 6 tubes I think) of Teague chokes, and have never used any other than the two on it.  Not even quite sure now what they are(!), but some combination of 1/4 and 1/2.  I take them out each time the gun is used for cleaning.