Shortening an O/U

Rupert

23 hours ago, stevo said:

Section 2 shotgun. 24" minimum barrel length,and a  40" minimum overall length.

Correct on the barrel length but the 40" OAL applies to semi-auto and pump-actions only. S5 (ac) of the Firearms Act 1968.

If you move an O/U (or any break-action, bolt-action or under-lever shotgun) to an FAC you can have a 12" barrel! (24" OAL also applies)

I  dont know, my aim is s gun with out choke,similar to those John Bridges has for starshot

It would be more sensible to just ream out the choke area - last 3" of barrel. If you chop the end off you might have a gun suitable for Starshot, but not much else. I have shot the Starshot layout a few times, with a 32" trap gun 3/8 and 3/8. The odd ones I missed were just lack of concentration  / carelessness, not over-choking.

50 minutes ago, Breastman said:

Longer barrels help with swing which is more important when shooting Sporting/Skeet clays than a faster pointing gun that a shorter barrel would provide.

I go back a long ways and remember a highly respected gun maker bring out their  '25' model with the advice that the gun would move and swing much better.  Very rare back then to see a skeet barrel much over 26 inches.   Said it before ..we are creatures of fashion.  :yes: 

On 11/29/2017 at 10:46, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Define unnecessary, the length and extra forward weight make a longer well balanced gun shoot very smoothly.

Barrels that are longer than you need . Many thousands of birds have been shot with 26" barreled guns ,so do you need 32" barrels for driven game ? No. Many thousands of high birds have been shot with 28" barrels again I ask do you need 32"or 34" barrels .? No . What you need is the ability to shoot and confidence in yourself to take them .

30 years ago 30" barreled guns were poor sellers 26" & "28 were popular ,only guns sold in 30" were trap guns .  Its a fad and I hear all sorts of talk about swing etc but not all shots are take on the swing .  When I hear a man who has shot extremely well with a 28" gun talk of needing longer barrels I know what he needs is to stop listening to people who know no better .When I hear a novice shooter saying he must have 32" barrels I know he is talking rubbish .

38 minutes ago, Gunman said:

Barrels that are longer than you need . Many thousands of birds have been shot with 26" barreled guns ,so do you need 32" barrels for driven game ? No. Many thousands of high birds have been shot with 28" barrels again I ask do you need 32"or 34" barrels .? No . What you need is the ability to shoot and confidence in yourself to take them .

30 years ago 30" barreled guns were poor sellers 26" & "28 were popular ,only guns sold in 30" were trap guns .  Its a fad and I hear all sorts of talk about swing etc but not all shots are take on the swing .  When I hear a man who has shot extremely well with a 28" gun talk of needing longer barrels I know what he needs is to stop listening to people who know no better .When I hear a novice shooter saying he must have 32" barrels I know he is talking rubbish .

Round in circles, I shoot 24" to 32" barrels at varying targets, when shooting clays I feel there is a definite advantage to having a long well balanced gun that swings smoothly.

When in the hide the 24" full choked multi-choke gun gets all the work.

If it is a fad as you say it has been going on for 40 odd years so far!

Opinions are wonderful, everyone has one and they are all as valid as the next.