50cc Bike laws

countryman

You don`t need a cbt and you can use any 50cc be it twist and go or gears, if it were a 125 then you would need a cbt. I know this because a few years back I bought the wife a 125 bike and she had to do the cbt but was told she would not need a cbt if i had bought her a 50cc as the entitlement is a FULL  so you could even have a pillion.

3 minutes ago, sportsbob said:

You don`t need a cbt and you can use any 50cc be it twist and go or gears, if it were a 125 then you would need a cbt. I know this because a few years back I bought the wife a 125 bike and she had to do the cbt but was told she would not need a cbt if i had bought her a 50cc as the entitlement is a FULL  so you could even have a pillion.

So if the 50cc did not have pedals that would still be ok. There are some nice looking new bikes on the bay, I did email the shop and they said I could ride it on my old car licence with out the need for a test or L plates. For some reason I have This thought in my head that the bike had to have pedals.

Thanks

18 hours ago, Nial said:

From a safety point of view it's worth doing the CBT anyway. 

Also I think I'd rather keep up with the traffic a bit better on a 125 than 50cc!

I don’t think that you could take a cbt for something you already have a full licence for.

22 hours ago, sportsbob said:

No pedals are needed , pedal and pop mopeds have not existed in mainstream for a long time now and the shop is right provided you driving licence has been kept up to date and things were not removed when you went to the pink photo licence.

If you still have the old type license you don’t need to update to a photo licence until age 70 unless you change address. 

1 hour ago, Rimfireboy said:

I don’t think that you could take a cbt for something you already have a full licence for.

If you still have the old type license you don’t need to update to a photo licence until age 70 unless you change address. 

Anyone can take a CBT at any time and with regards to the licence what I said firmly stands as it is known and documented on several Motorcycle forums that the entitlement was wrongfully removed when they went to a pink photo licence. 

26 minutes ago, sportsbob said:

Anyone can take a CBT at any time and with regards to the licence what I said firmly stands as it is known and documented on several Motorcycle forums that the entitlement was wrongfully removed when they went to a pink photo licence. 

What I meant was, if you have a current full licence, how can you take a cbt because it’s for learners?  I have a full bike license, had it many many years. As such, I don’t think I’d be able to take a cbt because I’m not a learner. That’s all.

A 50cc maximum not capable of more than 30mph. Any modification such as race tuning, be it cylinder head and piston mod, exhaust modification etc that increases the CC or the top speed then it is no longer classed as a moped. In that case your insurance will become void, and you are technically riding other than in accordance with your license. So many kids today mod their scoots, and it surprises me that all the accidents they are involved in, nobody checks the scoots for mods? 

I had a TS50 that was modded but had to declare it! I had to ride it on the bike license. But once I put it back to a 49cc with new exhaust and correct sprockets it could be used on the moped entitlement. And the RS50 was the same.