Those phone calls...

henry d

I have started to get those phone calls again, however having call screening I normally allow it to go to answer machine. Occaisionally I will google them if I happen to be working on the computer, they are usually well known and are usually listed as accident/insurance/computer scammers or silent calls.

Today it was 0001274293163, and nothing at all when I searched online, five-ten minutes later and I get another. I look and it is 00274293163, again nothing online, but I also notice, perhaps you also did, that it is the same number without 01 near the beginning ???  (Forgot to add both calls were less than required to activate the answer machine)

How is something like this possible, anyone know?

Edited by henry d

It's called caller ID spoofing or something similar. It won't be anyone you want to talk to. :no:

They could be calling from anywhere, but they display a number that they want you to see rather than their real one. I had a silent call from an unfeasibly long number only a few days ago. 

3 hours ago, subsonicnat said:

They have found a way round it.

Have a call blocker on my phone,just press the button and it gets blocked.

Pain while you are gradualy getting them all,but once in,,works a treat,no more calls here now.

I've got a callblocker too. One by one, the calls are getting blocked. I'll never stop them all, I know.

Got the sky blocker you got to programme in the numbers you want to accept , if anybody else phones it rings you pick it up and get a message so and so on 0000, 000000 is trying to contact you press 1 to accept this call , 2 to accept then block  3 to allow calls from this number or 9 to go to your voice mail  .some weeks i pick it up just to  make sure its still working