Dogs ear defenders ?

getthegat

So on another thread someone mentioned the proximity of your dog whilst shooting from a hide and the possibility of making the dog deaf in later years due to the the noise from the gun. I understand how this could happen, but is there a solution, I'm guessing there is no such thing as dog ear defenders, not that I can see a dog wearing them anyway.

2 hours ago, getthegat said:

So on another thread someone mentioned the proximity of your dog whilst shooting from a hide and the possibility of making the dog deaf in later years due to the the noise from the gun. I understand how this could happen, but is there a solution, I'm guessing there is no such thing as dog ear defenders, not that I can see a dog wearing them anyway.

Mutt Muffs have been around for years.

We got our setter and springer to wear them. They don't need them when they are out and about, just when sat with you in the hide right next to the gun going off. They do help if a dog is a bit nervous with gun noise too. They do need a bit of training and reward to get used to them at home before going out with them.

Been thinking about a camo coat, or in fact with the weather at the moment, any coat. She is black, so possibly helps with consealment. She is not over keen on having her harness on which I use when she's in the car to attach to a seat belt, though once it's on she is fine, so maybe the Mutt Muffs could work. The missus and I are very careful with her food, always measure the weight of each meal and she has no titbits or human ingredients, her long term health is important to us. Too many animals are mistreated, some times through ignorance, I hate seeing over weight dogs and understanding that their hearing needs protection, can be easily overlooked I'm sure.

1 hour ago, Gerry78 said:

That would look nice my fox red lab sitting on the marsh wearing ear muffs Il paint hes toe nails to match the colour of the ear muffs Unbelievable :no:

http://www.safeandsoundpets.com/index.html

We bought ours from a local gunsmith.

We just bought black ones, but you can get different colours.?

I was thinking more you would keep warmer from the dog snuggling up in the hide.:lol:

Edited by loriusgarrulus

While it does seem a ridiculas idea, if I done a lot of hide shooting/pigeon bashing I probably would train my dog to use them.

My old spaniel is going to have to be prematurely retired purely throu deafness, still very physically fit but can no longer hear where the whistle is coming form.

He seems to almost cope on the usual shoots i go to as he knows the woods and where I go, on a new shoot last week and he was totally lost. Not nice too watch for me

I've never really shot big days over him but if I was regularly shooting 30 plus pigeons over it in a hide I would think about ear muffs

1 hour ago, scotslad said:

While it does seem a ridiculas idea, if I done a lot of hide shooting/pigeon bashing I probably would train my dog to use them.

My old spaniel is going to have to be prematurely retired purely throu deafness, still very physically fit but can no longer hear where the whistle is coming form.

He seems to almost cope on the usual shoots i go to as he knows the woods and where I go, on a new shoot last week and he was totally lost. Not nice too watch for me

I've never really shot big days over him but if I was regularly shooting 30 plus pigeons over it in a hide I would think about ear muffs

You could retrain him with a vibro collar if you still wish to work him. It will mean wearing a collar which is not ideal though and working within its range. Getting him used to commands via a number of vibrations rather than whistle peeps or to look back for hand signals when within eyesight.

We had a terrier who went deaf early, although not a gundog. I bought a cheap multi function collar and disabled the shock function on it by reversing the electrode connection and filling them in with hotmelt to avoid accidently activating it.(keeps it legal for Wales too) He soon learnt the different vibrations for different commands.

Edited by loriusgarrulus

Aye I have thought about that, but to be honest I don't really like seeing dogs wearing a collar for work and esp not E collar's.

Can imagine most guns/beaters would just presume my dog is wild/ or I haven/can't train it when they see it wearing a collar (must admit I know I do and in most cases they'd be right)

I'll think about it over the close season, I might try it on the grouse as not much dangerous cover don't think I'd be happy working him on he pheasants shoots with a collar

But to be fair he's 10 or 11 now and been a cracking dog for me, while he is still very fit I don't grudge him his retirement either, some seasons he'll have done close on 100 days

Plus my old lab is retiring this year too, so it would give him company in the retirement kennel:rolleyes:. The lab's still going strong at 12ish and I've been meaning to retire him for past 3 years and still bright as a button the next day even after back to back days, but they do go downhill quick if u wok them too long

15 minutes ago, scotslad said:

Aye I have thought about that, but to be honest I don't really like seeing dogs wearing a collar for work and esp not E collar's.

Can imagine most guns/beaters would just presume my dog is wild/ or I haven/can't train it when they see it wearing a collar (must admit I know I do and in most cases they'd be right)

I'll think about it over the close season, I might try it on the grouse as not much dangerous cover don't think I'd be happy working him on he pheasants shoots with a collar

But to be fair he's 10 or 11 now and been a cracking dog for me, while he is still very fit I don't grudge him his retirement either, some seasons he'll have done close on 100 days

Plus my old lab is retiring this year too, so it would give him company in the retirement kennel. The lab's still going strong at 12ish and I've been meaning to retire him for past 3 years and still bright as a button the next day even after back to back days, but they do go downhill quick if u wok them too long

Good point. I didn't realise how old he was.