How do you cater for a long distance shot with rib in sight?

DanBettin

6 hours ago, geordieh said:

Had a little chuckle reading this, I picked up a shotgun for the first time when I was about 11 I am now 61.I I first shot rabbits,ducks,woodcock and snipe I didn't shoot my first pheasant until I was gone 30. I have had my current gun a 1965 Beretta 56e over 20 years i have never shot at a clay ground, twice friends have set up a trap once on a farm and once in the wood's both times I have tried it I found it totally boring to be honest.Clay grounds are for getting pups used to gun shot.But good luck if that is your game.I have tried thinking how much rib I see? Not a clue.Bead just checked to see what type it is surprised to see it is a white one.People have asked what lead I gave on a high bird that I have just shot?not a Scooby doo.Where are my feet ?  at the other end of my legs. I find if I start thinking about what I am doing my shooting goes to ratsh*t.But I have never been kept awake thinking or worrying about why I had a bad day.But good luck to you all and just enjoy your shooting whatever type you do. And Happy Christmas to you all

I see what you mean once drove a robin reliant around a pub car park, F1 must be such a dull job because I was so bored. 

Each to their own but try a good clay ground, it a touch different to a little trap in a field, if you hit everything and are still bored fair play and your a great shot but you may be surprised.  

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On ‎07‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 08:30, Scully said:

Why people insist on over complicating things I just don’t know. 

I think I’ve only been coached once with a shotgun, and that was on a DTL stand and lasted about 5 minutes. I don’t shoot DTL.

If you’re not getting the sight picture you prefer ( no matter how many clothes you’ve got on ) and practice won’t improve it, then the chances are the gunisn’t for you. 

Ive never had a gun fitted in my life, and since I’ve learned how to mount a gun consistently, to get the picture I want, I don’t buy Berettas anymore, because no matter how much I persist, they don’t fit me. 

Just practise your mount with each of your guns until you get the sight picture you want. I get the same picture with all my guns, whether it’s a pump, auto, sxs or ou. It’s not rocket science.

Plus 1.   Only ever had one gun fitted and that was a restocking and the stocker had me shoot a few clays, adjusted, shoot a few more. That's a 16 gauge Army & Navy built about 1900 and anything flying within range is in serious trouble. Never had a shooting lesson, learned to adapt to whatever was in my hand, shoot off both shoulders, both eyes fully open concentrating on the 'bird'.   There is something called natural ability, which you can't buy at the store. My grandfather was a superb shot but could not mount the gun fully to his shoulder and shot instinctively and as a young boy I have seen him take two grey partridge out of a covey in style.  I'm lucky, I do believe I have his genes. Shooting is like golf, snooker et al, mechanics cannot make us perfect. 

Just seen this thread and had a read through some of the posts, I thought that Buze 's comments were a little arrogant considering his inexperience , but hey we all have an opinion don't we.

But the one that made me chuckle was Welsh Warrior's comment about Reliant Robin's and F1 ??????????

Reliant actually made the Ford RS200 Group B car which was a far quicker accelerating car than an F1 , but yes F1 can be boring, ask the chap sitting next to you Daffyd:lol:, ask him how bored he was working all nighters pop rivetting JPS Lotus back together .

Back on thread , what does the OP call long range ? 80 Yards is plenty far enough out to attempt a shot and my MK38 Trap shoots a little bit high so I place my sight picture  at the base of the clay at 70 -80 yards distance  ( note I didn't say AIM)

16 minutes ago, Salopian said:

Just seen this thread and had a read through some of the posts, I thought that Buze 's comments were a little arrogant considering his inexperience , but hey we all have an opinion don't we.

But the one that made me chuckle was Welsh Warrior's comment about Reliant Robin's and F1 ??????????

Reliant actually made the Ford RS200 Group B car which was a far quicker accelerating car than an F1 , but yes F1 can be boring, ask the chap sitting next to you Daffyd:lol:, ask him how bored he was working all nighters pop rivetting JPS Lotus back together .

Back on thread , what does the OP call long range ? 80 Yards is plenty far enough out to attempt a shot and my MK38 Trap shoots a little bit high so I place my sight picture  at the base of the clay at 70 -80 yards distance  ( note I didn't say AIM)

My point a single trap in s field is not the same as a decent clay ground, bloke sat next to me says even you should know that!

8 hours ago, geordieh said:

Had a little chuckle reading this, I picked up a shotgun for the first time when I was about 11 I am now 61.I I first shot rabbits,ducks,woodcock and snipe I didn't shoot my first pheasant until I was gone 30. I have had my current gun a 1965 Beretta 56e over 20 years i have never shot at a clay ground, twice friends have set up a trap once on a farm and once in the wood's both times I have tried it I found it totally boring to be honest.Clay grounds are for getting pups used to gun shot.But good luck if that is your game.I have tried thinking how much rib I see? Not a clue.Bead just checked to see what type it is surprised to see it is a white one.People have asked what lead I gave on a high bird that I have just shot?not a Scooby doo.Where are my feet ?  at the other end of my legs. I find if I start thinking about what I am doing my shooting goes to ratsh*t.But I have never been kept awake thinking or worrying about why I had a bad day.But good luck to you all and just enjoy your shooting whatever type you do. And Happy Christmas to you all

Clay grounds are for getting pups used to gunshot? Not a generally accepted good idea.

I've enjoyed reading this thread. :)

On 07/12/2017 at 11:54, wymberley said:

Yep, OK an untrained and unskilled mechanic can be a costly proposition for any car owner. Once you find one without the 'uns', best hang on to him.

Do you find dead mechanics to be better than the unskilled ones?

(Sorry - couldn't resist.)

On 28/11/2017 at 19:45, DanBettin said:

Let me try and simplify what I'm asking - is it not a problem that the gun 'fits' less at a distance?

I didn't see anyone actually respond helpfully to this, so for the benefit of anyone who wasn't thinking what I am now thinking:

I think the OP means that a small error in fit is magnified by distance, so a couple of inches difference between pattern centre and the spot you're looking at close in naturally becomes a much larger distance as range increases to maximum. However, I don't imagine this would make a huge difference to success, as the expanding pattern should more than compensate.

Edited by neutron619
Spelling.