Squirrel feeders

Fisheruk

For those who are serious about controlling Grey Squirrels I thought I would share some information about the use of static feeders.

It is about bringing the Squirrels to you so that you have a safe location to shoot them, with minimal effort and time.

176845_A5_AB43_4406_8_D99_C6_F006_DDAD45

The straps which I use to hold them onto the trees are stainless steel cable ties. I found the the plastic ones were vulnerable to Shotgun shot and squirrel teeth, no such problem with the SS ones.

Got echo this Fisher the landowner on one of my perms asked me to thin the squirrels out a lot as they were causing damage. One feeder in the belt of wood he wanted sorting had them coming in like mad. After about 4 sessions they have been wiped out for the time being.

Feeders are so much more productive especially when natural food has dropped off. Also you have benefit of a know range to shoot at and a static target which bodes really well for clean kills.  

Edited by Zetter

I made a couple from some stainless steel chimney pipe I had left over. I had a 45deg bend which I put on the bottom and blanked that off with metal sheet and made a small feed tray ..inch and half square, where the pea nuts feed into.  I screwed this to a tantalised piece of decking board and put another piece of decking board at 90 degs as sitting area. Strapped to a tree with 1 inch ratchet straps.    I have hundreds of small birds using it and saw one squirrel running away, but that one has since died:good::yes:.  As in a previous thread I think they will work better if away from 'ready meals' like pheasant feeders, because the other one I made is in such a position and is not being used by squirrels. I'm working with the Keeper to sort out a more suitable spot with no feeders near by.

Only using air rifle here so no chance of serious damage or fliers.

Found a couple of round metal lids which fitted the top of the pipes with a half brick to keep them there.

They are a very good idea.

Edited by Walker570

19 minutes ago, Strongman said:

This looks like a really good idea. I’ve got a couple of questions. 

How long did it take the squirrels to work out how to get into the feeder?

Does the steel plate cause a ricochet hazard or do you have to shoot at it square on to try & eliminate this?

It depends, but I have seen them opening the feeders regularly within a day of placing. Bearing in mind I am regularly killing greys which are using them, the new ones get the hang of them constantly.

On ‎05‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 19:13, Archie-fox said:

Are these available to buy? I’ve got a few woods i thin out the grays in..

Now come on Archie you must be able to knock couple of these up, the feeders fisheruk has up are getting emptied probably twice a week at the moment, 5 feeders with one or two getting hammered and the others seeing regular use, good idea for bringing the squirrels in. 

On 05/12/2017 at 19:13, Archie-fox said:

Are these available to buy? I’ve got a few woods i thin out the grays in..

You can buy domestic squirrel feeders with Perspex fronts and wooden lids. My experience is that the Squirrels trash them pretty quickly. That’s another reason why I have metal lids and steel fronts.

Both excellent. Have a free day tomorrow, I feel a project coming on. I like the flap top type because it prevents other creatures getting in there. Having said that, the ones I have made from stainless chimney pipe and a small2x2 inch tray at the bottom with a half inch slot for peanuts to fall through does attract a lot of small birds as well as squirrels.

969 photos on the trail cam in 48hrs.

I have a few places for those flip tops and have plenty of materials. Thanks for the heads up.

on edit .... to start them off, do you put some peanut butter around the flap?

Edited by Walker570

2 hours ago, Robertt said:

Bought a Squiggle lid feeder off fleabay for a tenner about a year ago. 

Fantastic had 6 this morning on it and its been producing all week.

Couple of bite marks on it but very much in tact,

I have the shelf broadside on so as not to be shooting at feeder.

Can you post a picture Robert?

They certainly look heavy duty Bruno

4 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Both excellent. Have a free day tomorrow, I feel a project coming on. I like the flap top type because it prevents other creatures getting in there. Having said that, the ones I have made from stainless chimney pipe and a small2x2 inch tray at the bottom with a half inch slot for peanuts to fall through does attract a lot of small birds as well as squirrels.

969 photos on the trail cam in 48hrs.

I have a few places for those flip tops and have plenty of materials. Thanks for the heads up.

on edit .... to start them off, do you put some peanut butter around the flap?

Doesn’t seem to be necessary.

5 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

image1.jpeg.1ed91738d3cb91c3ecf482835851930a.jpegimage2.jpeg.f881bb9e6a494c6c64c9957387ed2a4f.jpeg

These are the feeders supplied in the Woodlands where I shoot - don't know who made them but I think they are a few years old - pellet marks have been created AFTER passing thru the Squirrels heads - .22 AA S410 @ 25 yards.

feeder 1

feeder 2

They look like they have been made up from old Warfarin hoppers.

On 30/11/2017 at 18:37, Strongman said:

This looks like a really good idea. I’ve got a couple of questions. 

How long did it take the squirrels to work out how to get into the feeder?

Does the steel plate cause a ricochet hazard or do you have to shoot at it square on to try & eliminate this?

If you have Squirrels in your wood they will certainly find it and work out how to get inside within the day.

I’ve never had a ricochet or bounce back. A 40gr bullet just flattens against the steel, after it has gone through the critter.

Peanuts but some folk prefer wheat.

I think they are really switched on to bird activity to locate feeders.

When filling feeder I leave some nuts on the ledge and within minutes the birds turn up.

Today , after filling I sat down in my hide and a Nuthatch turned up and within 30 seconds a squirrel.

Nearly caught me out.

But thats how easy it is.

Checking the zero for the current wind conditions is a must.

I think it was wednesday , fired a zero shot ( Air Rifle ) and within minutes one turned up obviously not spooked by the shot.

3 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

Fisheruk - you may well be correct as the previous control method was Warfarin laced Wheat.

You can see how indiscriminating that method of delivering Warfarin to Squirrels was. Just think of how much other wild life would have been affected by the spillage.