Squirrel feeders

Fisheruk

Early months this year we fed a feed ride with a mix of some old oats/horse mix and some wheat and they were all over it.  I'm going to make two or three of Fishers feeders and put peanuts in one, wheat in the other and maize in the other, see which they prefer.  I will still have a couple of the open feeders because I just enjoy seeing the bird life whilst waiting. Had four blue tits waiting in line yesterday on one feeder, like they were queuing up as only one at a time can get into the tray:yes::good:. We have had an explosion of small birds in this wood since I have obliterated the tree rats.   

1 minute ago, Walker570 said:

Early months this year we fed a feed ride with a mix of some old oats/horse mix and some wheat and they were all over it.  I'm going to make two or three of Fishers feeders and put peanuts in one, wheat in the other and maize in the other, see which they prefer.  I will still have a couple of the open feeders because I just enjoy seeing the bird life whilst waiting. Had four blue tits waiting in line yesterday on one feeder, like they were queuing up as only one at a time can get into the tray:good:. We have had an explosion of small birds in this wood since I have obliterated the tree rats.   

I have tried that too.

Peanuts won hands down, next maize for the greys. Reds only eat the tips of maize. Wheat is least favourite. What i’m thinking of doing is putting wheat in the bottom third of the jar and topping up with peanuts. That way after the nuts have gone there will still be something to keep them interested. I have already seen this work on a couple of feeders on different locations.

Natural England plastered a wood with Warfarin feeders down in Somerset where I had the roe stalking. They did not have a clue. They wanted me to completely clear the 300 acre wood of roe deer. I explained that roe deer where territorial and if I could totally clear the wood of deer, within weeks there would be twice as many(right next door to Longleat)

I spent time explaining how to control the deer numbers, of which they appeared not to have a clue.  I also pointed out the leakage of grain from the feeders but nothing was done. 

After staring out of the Window for 2 days due to the Weather I risked a quick look down the Woods yesterday - first 3 feeders were full and untouched so ,not wanting to go home, I decided to locate feeder #2 that had been relocated several weeks ago. Humming Slip Sliding away, as I tried to stay upright on the icy paths, I managed to finally find a tree with the obligatory red dot painted on it and fought my way through the undergrowth following more Red dots. Joy of Joys - a big fat Tree Rat enjoying a feeder full of Wheat greeted me as I drew close. He saw me and teased me by slowly climbing up into the higher branches and was so relaxed by my presence that I decided to try and shoot him where he was ( not really allowed but the Woods were empty of visitors) anyhow, long story short, he eventually managed to slip away and I lowered the Gun, rather disappointed, only to be faced with another of the blighters on the feeder - less than 15 yards away! Making sure that "what is for Christmas dinner" was no longer a concern for him I set up behind a nice clump of saplings and spent the next hour wondering where all these flaming Squirrels were coming from ( there was 4 on the feeder tree at one point) - many seemed to be just passing thru (do they have routes that they follow?) and only glanced at the feeder before dropping to the floor and disappearing into the undergrowth, but several stayed for a nibble at the Peanuts I had placed on the ledge - 3 more Secret Santa gifts that will go unclaimed come the big day. Light began to fade and a few local School kids braved their way thru the Woods so I called it a day.....4 in just over an hour but I know there's more to come :yes:.  

I’m going to have a go at modding  some traps wth that type of peanut feeder on Boxing Day. They really look a great idea.

On 20/12/2017 at 09:45, Robertt said:

I have read that they will travel 3/4 mile for food.

For sure, you are pulling them in to your feeders from a great distance.

A said previously, it is expensive stuff but the expanded wire as shown is squirrel proof. They quickly destroy normal peanut feeder wire.  I had mine from B&Q but shop around you might be able to find some cheaper. Cut out a cardboard pattern to fit and then cut the wire to that. The access hole is great for the little birds but also makes pouring the nuts in easier.   If you can visit them at least once a day(evening) or more often these traps are fine as they will also catch innocent victims that need releasing. I have one cock woodpecker which I have caught a number of times and he gives me a look now as if to say for ####s sake open this door will you and swears at me when it flies off.

Feeling bored this afternoon, all chores completed ready for the tribe to descend tomorrow. So out to the workshop to have a go at modifying a live catch trap with a Walker style nut feeder. Found a roll of Stainless Steel expanded metal, wire cutters and hog clips.

Now to wait patiently for 27th to get it out in the wood.

7_A1_E998_A_93_ED_4024_9251_9_DD4714_DAD

E148_A42_D_EE5_E_4_EA4_97_A7_EFFA26_B103

• 2 months later...
On 12/9/2017 at 17:35, bruno22rf said:

image1.jpeg.1ed91738d3cb91c3ecf482835851930a.jpegimage2.jpeg.f881bb9e6a494c6c64c9957387ed2a4f.jpeg

These are the feeders supplied in the Woodlands where I shoot - don't know who made them but I think they are a few years old - pellet marks have been created AFTER passing thru the Squirrels heads - .22 AA S410 @ 25 yards.

feeder 1

feeder 2

They are actually designed as poison dispensers,   I have a couple I use against rats.   Gamekeeper supplies or similar .  I find the food slot small and prone to bloking as the lids are not totally watertight.

are you shooting the squirrels or just feeding them :whistling::whistling:

16 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

Yep - agree with the lids being poor but we don't seem to get any blockages - squirrels have completely emptied 7 feeders in the last week according to my kinda irate estate manager :sad1: .

Has been cold so guessing you're attracting all the squirrels from around, I'm convinced that they have all gone somewhere warm out of the wind?

Despite desperately needing every ounce of beauty sleep that I can get and assisted by Steroids and black Coffee I somehow managed to slump into the charabanc this very morning and sally forth to the Woods. Propping myself up against a tree and perched upon my folding throne my attempts to explain to myself why I was sitting in a damp and dark copse was disturbed by Squizzer #1 steaming towards the feeder like his life depended on it (ironic really) - he jumped onto the steel ledge and started feeding straight away. I think the slight movement I made as I slipped the S410 into my shoulder must have caught his eye as he froze a moment - just before the 16 grains of lead did, actually, catch his eye and topple him from his breakfast bar.

Moving off about 1/2 mile to the main woodland I found 2 feeding at the first hopper (not seen many here for a while) so I sat in my usual place and waited for about 5 minutes before one suddenly appeared on the side of the tree just below the hopper itself and stared at me. Due to last nights frantic cleaning session with a lens cleaning cloth I was pleasantly surprised at just how clear a picture I had of him as I lined him up and thought to myself what a nice picture the scene would make if not for the 2 black lines across his head, but, with a  gentle pull on the trigger, he was gone to a far better place no doubt as he became #2 (he was the scrawniest Squizzer I think I have ever shot). Moving to the other side of the woods and noting that quite a few early morning folk were out Dog walking I disturbed more pests feeding on hopper 5 but could not tell how many as I could only see movement through the brush so again the folding perch became my resting place for about 10 minutes before hapless victim #3 did a Greg Rutherford defying leap onto the feeder and paid the price by catching another 16 grains of lead, whilst travelling at a considerable speed, using only his head - the thud was music to my ears . Back home for Tea and Tucker by 9 and apart from a growl from the Dog no-one in the house was even aware that I had been out. In short - out today, shot 3 but told as an Airgun Magazine writer. 

Edited by bruno22rf

Sounds like they are on the move at last. Hope to get out again on Monday next before the next spell of bad weather comes in.. The first flip top feeder I put up is getting emptied in days so something is getting at it. I filled the second one last week so will see if that has been used.  The Keeper was going to put his trail cam on the first if he had time.  Have a bag of whole maize to bait with   £8..50p against £36 for nuts if the rats like it as much.  Might just mix the two.

Success tonight on a fox where normally there are four or five tree rats playing in a big oak in next doors wood. No sign of them tonight.