Parking limits.

VULTURE

Hi. One of my neighbors has 4 cars one each for the family then each one brings home a works van so 8 vehicles,they put 2 cars in the drive and the rest out on the road,because of driveways for other houses are present the rest of the vehicles are spread 5 or 6 houses either side of theirs so other drivers including a disabled driver cannot park anywhere near there own houses.

Is it ok to this,I thought there was was some restrictions on works vans?

Cheers. Vulture

My parents house has a covenant that they couldn't park commercial or work vans on their drive - however they obviously could be parked on the public highway at the front of the house.

In fairness to the family in the opening post they may have no option but to park their vans in the road.

A quiet word to them to be more considerate re the disabled neighbour is probably all you can realistically do.

Hi. Didn't think they were breaking the law in any way and doesn't affect me as I have a drive but other neighbors are grumbling.

This estate was built in the 50 and 60s so wouldn't have a covenant.

I'll just keep an eye on the disabled person and help if need.

Cheers vulture

Hiya

Disabled parking spaces on the highway are backed by a Traffic Regulation Order, hence the post and plate adjacent the space (same as No waiting At Any Time - double yellow lines). They are not exclusive so any disabled person with an appropritae badge can park there.

A non-blue badge holder will get a ticket, if the area is patrolled by Parking Attendants.

L

4 minutes ago, Loki said:

Hiya

Disabled parking spaces on the highway are backed by a Traffic Regulation Order, hence the post and plate adjacent the space (same as No waiting At Any Time - double yellow lines). They are not exclusive so any disabled person with an appropritae badge can park there.

A non-blue badge holder will get a ticket, if the area is patrolled by Parking Attendants.

L

I have no doubt that you're absolutely correct, but I think both Bob and I are talking about a white lined 'disabled' - if Bob is correct then this is a better word than my "reserved" - space. I didn't know that but am pleased to say that not too many miles west of you it is treated in the spirit it was intended

1 hour ago, wymberley said:

I have no doubt that you're absolutely correct, but I think both Bob and I are talking about a white lined 'disabled' - if Bob is correct then this is a better word than my "reserved" - space. I didn't know that but am pleased to say that not too many miles west of you it is treated in the spirit it was intended

Yes that's the one outside a house in white paint but I don't quite understand what you are trying to say ? I have a disabled member in my family and such a space was offered to them, this space had an annual cost for its upkeep without the certainty you would be able to use it.

Edited by sportsbob

1 hour ago, Loki said:

Hiya

L

I absolutely agree but as already pointed out we are not talking about spaces with poles and plates.   All parking restrictions require suitable plates to be correctly fixed etc etc etc, I spent 17 years in a van working in high streets and housing estates and have never had a successfully issued parking ticket or paid any fine. 

On 29 November 2017 at 12:48, VULTURE said:

Hi. Didn't think they were breaking the law in any way and doesn't affect me as I have a drive but other neighbors are grumbling.

This estate was built in the 50 and 60s so wouldn't have a covenant.

I'll just keep an eye on the disabled person and help if need.

Cheers vulture

Even if there were a covenant i understand in most contexts they are essentially unenforceable. In the context of work vans they boil down to "no work vans until the developer has sold all the houses". 

If all the vans are used in the same business (especially if they have the same livery on them) you could try the planning enforcement team of your Council. People who run taxi businesses from a residential area fall foul of this quite often, however it can be difficult to get formal enforcement action pushed through but it may result in them actually thinking about other people and they make efforts to sort it out themselves/disperse the vans further afield

23 minutes ago, Breastman said:

If all the vans are used in the same business (especially if they have the same livery on them) you could try the planning enforcement team of your Council. People who run taxi businesses from a residential area fall foul of this quite often, however it can be difficult to get formal enforcement action pushed through but it may result in them actually thinking about other people and they make efforts to sort it out themselves/disperse the vans further afield

Running a business from home and bringing work vehicles home are completely different. I don't know if they are or aren't running a business from the property, but if they're not, I don't see what the council can do if the vehicles are parked legally.

If multiple vehicles used by the same business are regularly parked at the same residential address and are causing problems for neighbours then action can be taken. It is often hard for the council to prove though and rarely results in formal enforcement action, hence the tone of my first post.