ideal spring .177 air rifle for use by smallish teenager

hwr

Hi there

The question is in the title really, he has use of a co2 powered multishot but I was thinking of getting a break action.

BSA meteor springs to mind ( all puns intended) but wondered if there was anything better/ lighter out there nowadays?

Second hand is preferable as don't want to spoil the lad.

I did do a search but without much luck.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

H

Similar in size but different league quality wise - tiny bit heavier about 1/2lb from memory but that's no bad thing. If weight is a serious issue then don't forget to allow for a scope when trying various guns.......or splash out and get him an S200 PCP - little bit lighter than even a Meteor and soooooo much easier to shoot accurately.

Edited by bruno22rf

I have for my kids .

A hw 30 .which while its nice and light and relativley easy to cick the action .

The stock is too long and the pistol grip is too far from the trigger. .although onbthe face of it it seems like a junior gun (6 fpe ish ) it wasn't designed as such .it's a full sized gun for adults, the Germans have a 6 fpe limit .

The answer to making it ideal for kids  say 8 - 12 years is to make a more ideal stock .I did. 

A gun to consider is a bsa lighntning xl tactical .as the pistol grip is very narrow and close to the trigger. It's also light and short .but the action is powerful and tricky to cick .

I have one of these too .better for 12 years plus really. 

stick with a meteor mate. hw is great if you wanna take it over if they get bored of it but a meteor won't cost a lot if its a phase. 

on another note I bought a cometa for £50 (can't remember the model I think 50) and was excellent for paper punching at 15 yards. can teach them the basics of holdover (about 36" at 30 yards :lol:) with a 6-8ft airrifle and still make it fun.

Another vote for the HW30. My 11 year daughter uses one. She started out with .22 and has swapped to the .177 to make range finding a bit less of an issue. If you buy the '30, there is the chance that you will just hang on to it when your lad moves to a bigger rifle- they are such a sweet little gun to use.