Am I mad?

stuart21

Evening all!

I've got it into my head that I want a defender. I want it as a second car and don't really want to spend anymore than £9k and am looking for a short wheel base

My everyday car is a new shape Range Rover and I love it, and it's my third, but I really fancy a defender that I can us on shoot days and around the farm.

I'm planning on doing quite a bit of research, but keen to read people's opinions and recommendations on what to look out for.

Even better if you've taken the plunge, as I'm keen to hear if it you regret it or not.

Thanks!

Stuart

Go for it. Still unmatched off road if you know what your doing, but must be a 90, the 110s are too ungainly.  I have had mine now 12yrs and even putting a 4ltr V8 in, LT85 box, Range Rover Classic back axle, LPG, galvanised chassis, I still have not spent as much as if I purchased a Jap truck. 

Edited by Walker570

Well I just love big V8s and I purchased mine (1989 model) for £800 with a V8 conversion which had not been done very well, so I then had a 3964cc(4ltr) V8 built for me and added an LT85 gearbox which are very strong. Put the Range Rover Classic back axle on to give me all round discs. LPG dual fuel and recently had a new galvanised chassis.

Mine is a work tool, shooting, hauling wood, etc etc and at the moment has done 185.000 miles.  The model which had the Transit diesel fitted was reported to be excellent by a friend who has one.  Prices are now going sky high since they stopped making them. 

The Land Rover Defender is either loved or hated, but all I can say it has got me into and out of places where others, other than an old Susuki Jimney have struggled.

I have absolutely no regrets.   

Sadly just sold my 90 200TDI but a few thoughts:

- really pay attention to the condition of chassis and bulkhead 

- for a second car/toy even a  200Tdi will be good, and you can make it just how you want it. 

- don't pay over the odds for some blinged up off roader.  You don't want to pay for loads of stuff you don't want and that has often, sadly been done badly and often cosmetic improvements are done at the expense of proper regular maintenance. 

- sadly theft is a real problem (mine was stolen and dumped) so make sure you get some proper security. 

I have a 1998 300tdi Wolf XD 90 Defender, he's called Ajax. Its my second Defender. My first was an Ex military Defender 90 too. Both diesel. The first had been completely rebuilt, this one was straight from army service so both in excellent condition when bought. I have never had any major problems with mine. One thing I have found is that OH and I at 5'8" find the Defenders comfortable to drive even long distance, but people over 6' often find them uncomfortable. 

Defenders are like marmite, you either love them or hate them. OH and I are definatly both mad. If you have contracted Defenderitis it can only be cured by getting one. Then you might find its made the condition worse or cured you for life from ever having one again. I wouldn't part with mine, but I am incurable. My insurance specifies mine must not be parked on the road overnight at home. It is probably best parked off road anyway and get some good security on it like exdefend pedal locks and a disclock as well as tracking.

I had mine completely Dinitrol rust treated to keep him in good condition.Its well worth doing a good rust treatment.

There are places you can hire them or go on an offroad course to drive one if you want to try one out properly before looking to buy.

Edited by loriusgarrulus

Regarding the seating position. Yes, I am over 6ft but it doesn't take too much trouble to move the seats back to give that extra 2 inches of leg room. All good advice above.

One or two on the web which already have galvanised chassis upgrades, so shop around.  If they are such awful vehicles, then why do we have to go to such great lengths to screw them down to stop them being stolen ??????????????    

Got an itch ????  Best scratch it, I say.:yes::good:

With that kind of budget you could get yourself a tidy early td5, and that would be my choice.

It's a very tuneable engine for very little outlay, I'm on my second td5, this one I have had nearly 3 years and as of yet not opened the bonnet. Provided they have been looked after they are very strong. Sure they have a few design faults as does anything.

people keep saying they are expensive to run, last year mine cost me a service which I do and a mot, that's it! Given the value has risen lately it actually didn't cost me a penny to run. 

The earlier td5's can suffer head shuffle but it's no big deal as long as you know and can budget for it!

Anything can be fixed, but in general yes, look for rust. There will be some for sure, have a good poke around.

Generally people believe landrover should go on forever, they buy them run with no maintenance smashing them about off-road then when they start playing up sell it and moan they are unreliable! The unsuspecting new owner then has a huge repair bill and again whinges how bad they are! Take someone who has knowledge of them.

Any car needs maintenance, they are mechanical and things wear out! If you are handy with the spanners you are on a winning streak already. 

As regards to mileage I have had a few high ones, last courtesy disco td5 I had while they mot'd mine had 225k on it. My last td5 sold with 179k on the clock running a 170bhp tune, nearly 3 years on the chap tows every week with it without a problem. I spoke to him a few months ago, apart from tyres he has had no problems! 

• 9 months later...

Bought a 2004 td5 90. Bit like that first love of your life when everything is new and exciting but then you realise that the girl down the road is younger, works out, is really fit, does everything and can go all night without complaint.  loved it, hated it sold it and got over it all within a year.