Harika smock offer

markm

45 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Still £245? How much are you paying just for the name?

Depends really - Harkila gear is excellent and will still be excellent in 10 years when your Jack Pyke jacket has long since died.

And if you want pricey, take a look at Fjallraven: https://www.fjallraven.co.uk/forest-parka

Looks nice, but I imagine at that price your going to have to be living in it, I bought a sportchief jacket and pants a good while ago and that was less than £200 about £150 I think, I've been looking at different smock and jackets but some of the prices seem crazy.

will those jackets do anything a £100 Larksen won't? That's the sale price.

I’ve bought one , as it doesn’t have any cartridge pockets, I’ll have to invest in a cartridge belt.  For the last 20 years I’ve had a shark country jacket (this harkila has a lot to live up to)

Come home and told the Mrs, she was ‘fishing’ about shooting jackets the other week and she was planning on buying me a pro hunter for xmas....  she’s buying this one, so she’s got away with a bargain. 

4 hours ago, Fatcatsplat said:

Depends really - Harkila gear is excellent and will still be excellent in 10 years when your Jack Pyke jacket has long since died.

And if you want pricey, take a look at Fjallraven: https://www.fjallraven.co.uk/forest-parka

I have a bit of a Fjallraven fetish at the moment, the No8 is next on the list:rolleyes:

Strong money but lasts forever and the G1000 material takes some abuse.

14 hours ago, steve d said:

I have a bit of a Fjallraven fetish at the moment, the No8 is next on the list

I was at the Bushcraft show this year and they had given a few freebies out to the "celebs" - Dave Canterbury was wearing a smock that had pockets and vent points all over the place and really looked the part, BUT it was close to £500 and nothing is worth that money 

48 minutes ago, markm said:

Jings, a polar bear/arctic hunting jacket!!

A good double ventile shell jacket made to measure comes in at around £300 to £450 depending on spec size and who you get to make it.  

19 hours ago, Fatcatsplat said:

15 hours ago, steve d said:

I have a bit of a Fjallraven fetish at the moment, the No8 is next on the list:rolleyes:

Fjallraven make great jackets and knives!

1 minute ago, Ian North Wales said:

Shooting clothing is getting out of hand; to spend £500 £600 on a jacket is well beyond most people. I have to be honest here even if I had that money I’m not sure I would want to spend it on a jacket that will get covered in all sorts and will probably get ripped by the dreaded barbwire.

Blimey I don't wear the good ones beating!

37 minutes ago, Ian North Wales said:

Shooting clothing is getting out of hand; to spend £500 £600 on a jacket is well beyond most people. I have to be honest here even if I had that money I’m not sure I would want to spend it on a jacket that will get covered in all sorts and will probably get ripped by the dreaded barbwire.

Ditto. also blackthorn and other fluids.

At some of the prices you lot spend on costs, Im just wondering if you just wear them going out to your posh sushi restaurant in your private reg Q7. Get to the restaurant and hand it to the Butler "that cost me £ 450.00 you know" 

Or do you actually get them down in the dirt. 

1 hour ago, Graham M said:

Just had a Ridgeline Monsoon bought me for Christmas. Think she got it for £112. Anyone got one of these and if so are they OK.

They get criticised for not being very breathable, but I guess that depends on how much and how fast you move and how much you sweat :)

I have a Ridgeline Pintail that I wear almost year round for stalking, and don't have a problem with it unless I am dragging a long way on a warm day, which is only to be expected.

22 hours ago, steve d said:

I have a bit of a Fjallraven fetish at the moment, the No8 is next on the list

Liked the look of their Sarek gaiters, bought them last year £70 - didn't last 12 months (G1000). Waxed them regular with Greenland wax but very disappointed with their longevity.

Both tore in the same place on both legs, lace hook lasted about 2 months, strap retainer and buckles broken within 6 months. It's not like I climbed K2 in them. If other G1000 gear is as 'hard-wearing' as the gaiters I'd probably avoid.

36550868021_1efb8ebb21_z.jpg

36519592592_cf8f85da98_z.jpg

35879490603_0396eb163f_z.jpg

10 hours ago, Ian North Wales said:

If I was spending that money I would expect to wear it all the time or what’s the point? I think it would be a shame if not given the use it was designed for. (Keeping me warm and dry in the field whatever i was doing)

4 hours ago, Dougy said:

At some of the prices you lot spend on costs, Im just wondering if you just wear them going out to your posh sushi restaurant in your private reg Q7. Get to the restaurant and hand it to the Butler "that cost me £ 450.00 you know" 

Or do you actually get them down in the dirt. 

10 hours ago, Ian North Wales said:

So glad you folk have said this, I've been looking at jackets as I'm after a non camouflage one, nothing really wrong with what I have but the more you look at the higher the prices go, I was thinking I was just tight, might go for a laksen kudu at £80 in the sale as I can't find a muflon in my size, at 3&400 I wouldn't want to be near a fence ? 

On 01/12/2017 at 12:35, Ian North Wales said:

Massive +1.

When you see some large scale commercial shoots (I live on one, with another 2-3 very close by) and see what the shooters wear - and the 'cars' (4x4's) they show up in... it's no wonder Joe-public think it's all just a game for the mega rich.

Does the sport/industry image no good, IMO.

On 01/12/2017 at 18:31, Dunkield said:

They get criticised for not being very breathable, but I guess that depends on how much and how fast you move and how much you sweat

I have a Ridgeline Pintail that I wear almost year round for stalking, and don't have a problem with it unless I am dragging a long way on a warm day, which is only to be expected.

I have a Pintail too (Christmas present, I had wanted one but would never have bought one), I do generate a lot of heat and can get very warm wearing it. But it's great! Out on the rabbits last weekend in freezing conditions - I had fleece lined hiking trousers on and a thin fleece pullover over a t-shirt then my Pintail on and a beanie hat. Toastie warm all night. Very effective at its job ?

2 years ago I bought a budget brand (Glenwood?) Smock, which is like the Monsoon smock, for about £80. I bought it for work (shepherd) and absolutely love it. Grudged paying so much I must confess - my jackets of choice before it were wax for £35-£30 - but I'm totally sold on it. But there is no way I would ever, ever pay the money some of these companies ask for their gear.