20b hushpower

aga man

Does anyone here use one for decoying pigeons? If so I would appreciate any advice on what cartridges would be suitable.

I have chance of a mossy pump in 20b moderated and I am waying up my options in terms of what it my cost to run one these guns.

I have some permissions that will require a moderated gun and am totally unsure of what I might be buying. I have struggled to search on this new format so would appreciate some guidance.

Thanks.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

im usein an investarm o/u hushy,been out this mornin,gamebore carts are just as quiet as subsonics and are cheaper,i use 25 or 28g no6.i also found the mossy to be a bit ungainly to handle,hence o/u model.

Edited by hawkfanz
more info

I have a mossy 500 hushpower in 20b .

And use it for pigeons etc .

Love it. I find it very good for the job .

Ask any question u like and I will do my best to answer .I use normal 20b carts 

My fave being nsi  32 grm no6 

And gamebore 32 grm no5 black gold .

But any 28 grm  no6 will do 

Thanks for the replies, Stu those Black gold etc are around £90 a slab here, does that sound about right?

I am not one for over spending on cartridges and was hoping some 24gm .7.5 at £60 a slab might do the job. I will only be using the gun to decoy pigeons over rape. I will stick to the 12 for roosting/flighting etc.

Yes the black gold are about 90 quid a slab .

But for most other carts i pay between £70 and £80  a slab .for 28 grm no6 

I find the no 7.5 s struggle to drop birds well beyond 30 yds .i put this down the the ports in the barrel .they reduce the velocity of the shot quite a bit .and the lower bc of the no 7.5 s shed too much energy at range .

I'd stick to a no 6 and ideally 28 grm and above .

The good thing with these guns is that the choke is a modified one .so patterns are pretty tight .meaning generally .you miss completely or kill well .

You can use a 25 grm no 7.5 It would just limit your range to around 25 yds ish .

Yes the down range noise  is massively reduced .although its still possible to hear the shot from a couple of fields away it sounds like its maybe 10 fileds away .ive had walkers 200 yds away in the same field and they haven't even looked up or reacted at all to a safe shot . As to them the shot must have sounded a few fields away .

Another advantage to the long length of the gun is .if you share a hide with another gun (I do and my mate has the same hushpower as me ) the barrels are always out side the hide when on swing so it's much safer .

Ps you don't need any ear defenders so you can hear birds approach from behind . 

They do tend to shoot a bit low if you don't cover your bird when shooting . 

I red dot mine to get round this as i like to see my bird at all times. 

As hawkefanz said .you can shoot at times and places  where you may otherwise feel self conscious  .In high summer .I get out and shoot at 5 am as long as I'm a couple of fields away from the town im ok .no one has complained yet . 

For ultimate stealth I use my hush .410 .but to be fair when you get say 300 yds away they sound similar . (They are both just very distant gun shots ) 

Aga,

I have a single barrel 410 HP-the only issue i've had is the sight picture takes some getting used to-its like a drainpipe over your barrel.

on the plus side-its quiet and has killed out to 35m.

the gunshop at park lodge (driven sporting ltd ) has a 20b  mossberg  in stock i believe- might be worth a run down to have a have look over.

subsonic shell  are the best if noise really is an issue.

atb

f.

As already said Eley hushpower 24/7.5's over decoys 35/40yards through full and 3/4, noise wise you still get a bang but no boom, when shooting over decoys the birds entering the field kept coming where if I use my M2 they would turn off, excellent tool when you get used to shot placement, the O/U is much better balance wise as the pump is nose heavy

as a matter of interest 3 weeks ago while flighting pigeon i had a flock of canadas feeding on stubble,they were about 300 yards away,they stayed there while i fired off at least 20 shots.iwas useing 28g gamebore carts,but had steel no4 just in case they came near.