Outdoor CCTV system

ollie

Hi All,

I will be moving into my new build next week and hopefully the dog kennels will be getting built in the not too distant future. Any suggestions on outdoor camera systems? I would like one to overlook the kennels, one for my drive and another at the side of the house. Would prefer something that doesn't require wiring to the mains and preferable something with night vision. 

Cheers Ollie

We have an Annke system at home! It's wired unfortunately so not what your after, but quality of image is great even at night out to 20 yards. Set up was a pain, and i am still unable to remote view when away from home. I managed to get remote view via wifi at home on the house router, but can not access it via mobile data or other wifi. If I could it would be fab. I am happy with it regardless as it records directly to a DVR running a 1tb drive. My son bought it for me when someone tried stealing the car. It was around £180 iirc

9 hours ago, ollie said:

Hi All,

I will be moving into my new build next week and hopefully the dog kennels will be getting built in the not too distant future. Any suggestions on outdoor camera systems? I would like one to overlook the kennels, one for my drive and another at the side of the house. Would prefer something that doesn't require wiring to the mains and preferable something with night vision. 

Cheers Ollie

Just bought a complete system for my sons shop from Costco ... Swann 2TB hd six camera setup with remote mobile phone viewing and movement sensor.  About £450. A very nice package.

45 minutes ago, Lord Geordie said:

We have an Annke system at home! It's wired unfortunately so not what your after, but quality of image is great even at night out to 20 yards. Set up was a pain, and i am still unable to remote view when away from home. I managed to get remote view via wifi at home on the house router, but can not access it via mobile data or other wifi. If I could it would be fab. I am happy with it regardless as it records directly to a DVR running a 1tb drive. My son bought it for me when someone tried stealing the car. It was around £180 iirc

You'll need to setup a DDNS service or get a staic public ip address and setup port forwarding on the router to get access from out side your LAN (local network) there are lots of videos online showing how this is done, not sure if there are any free DDNS sevices and a public ip address won't be free, but DDNS service is the best way.

On 01/12/2017 at 09:02, Newbie to this said:

You'll need to setup a DDNS service or get a staic public ip address and setup port forwarding on the router to get access from out side your LAN (local network) there are lots of videos online showing how this is done, not sure if there are any free DDNS sevices and a public ip address won't be free, but DDNS service is the best way.

Who let the Greek fella in? 

Well, it’s Greek to me anyway :lol:

Most modern cctv cameras are 'power over ethernet' or 'PoE'. This means they take their power from the same cable that they use to transmit the video. Its only 24v power so its safe and easy to install even for an amateur. You need a recorder with PoE ports on it, then just plug one end of an ethernet cable into one of the ports and the other end into the camera and thats it. You can get 4 camera HD setups for under 200 quid or spec your own.

On 01/12/2017 at 09:02, Newbie to this said:

Just found a dedicated ANNKE app for the DVR and it took about 15 seconds to configure it. It now accesses the DVR over my mobile data when out and about as long as i have signal. Chuffed to bits!

23 minutes ago, sandspider said:

I've got a basic IP camera sitting behind a window. It's good during the day, but at night I get a lot of IR reflection off the window glass. Is there anything I can do about this, or do I need to get a decent outdoor camera and not mount it behind a window?!

If you remove the sun shield and press it tight against the glass, it may stop the IR glare, but you will probably not get the angle you want, alternatively you could access the camera menu and turn off the IR lights, but this will greatly decrease the picture quality in dark conditions, maybe even to a degree where it wouldn't be worth having. But your best bet would be to get an outdoor camera.

2 hours ago, cardigun said:

Hi, Depending on how much security you need, I understand that wireless cctv is relatively easy to interupt.  We have been advised to use a hard wired system.

Indeed it’s possible, same as there is /are jammers available to disrupt GPS signals ( there goes your car tracker) and GSM signals.

Nothing is infallible, window cleaning pole/pad dipped in paint will reach and disrupt any camera be it wired or wireless.

A system that’s remotely accessible by you is also potentially accessible by ‘others’

Then would you like me to demonstrate methods of entry into your property?

Its all about deterrence and ease of use, which the OP wants.

Just for clarification, I’m not a Pro- but everyone needs a hobby don’t they 

4 hours ago, Newbie to this said:

If you remove the sun shield and press it tight against the glass, it may stop the IR glare, but you will probably not get the angle you want, alternatively you could access the camera menu and turn off the IR lights, but this will greatly decrease the picture quality in dark conditions, maybe even to a degree where it wouldn't be worth having. But your best bet would be to get an outdoor camera.

:good:

On 12/1/2017 at 09:02, Newbie to this said:

I've used these https://www.noip.com/ for similar things, free for the first 5 names

8 hours ago, Newbie to this said:

Unless you have double glazing! The other option is to disable the onboard IR and fit an IR lamp outside to compensate. 

2 minutes ago, Lord Geordie said:

Unless you have double glazing! The other option is to disable the onboard IR and fit an IR lamp outside to compensate. 

All of which I stated, with the exception of the outside IR lamp, because in my opinion an outdoor camera would be the better option, as stated in my final sentence.

Double glazing also gives off a halo from the lens reflection as I found before Chris got the new system!