From a Cold and Windy Field.

Pigeon Shredder.

l had a call on Wednesday night to say that the Pigeons and Rooks were gathered in vast numbers on a recently drilled permission, told the landowner l would be over first thing on Thursday and informed SHMBO that l would be out for the day.

On the drive over the temperature never got above 2 degrees and the wind was picking up nicely as well.

When l arrived l checked out the flighting birds and they were coming in vast numbers but with no particular flight line, now this landowner knows where they normally come in and always leaves a stack of pallets in the area for use as a hide, just as well today as putting up a camo net would have seen it shredded, if that is you could have got it up in the first place.

With the hide set up and the decoys out it wasn't long before the first birds arrived on mass with a by now 20 mph wind up their tail feathers, just as well that l had the SX3 with me today as l was spoilt for choice and with these flocks it was 3 for 3 every time they dropped down, and then nothing sat for 30 minutes being buffeted by the wind and a scan of the fields showed them all over the other side, oh my said l (been told off for swearing) sat for another 5 minutes and a small group came in and 2 dropped but then they sat up, put the gun down and reached into my bag for the priest when a Kestrel dropped down and took the nearest bird, after a quick ground fight it merrily plucked the pigeon while l watched on through the binoculars, it then went up in the air scouted out the second pigeon and did the same. I then had nothing coming in at all thanks to the Kestrel being on patrol, so l upped camp loaded the car and moved to the other side of the permission.

Same scenario in setting up only the winds got stronger the temperature in the car showed 1 degree and the site is on the top of a hill over looking the river, mad l must be but hey there's shooting to be had, pallets doubled up to my back to try and keep the wind off me and decoys trying to take flight out front.

The birds are flighting about 100 yards out into a wood and a few come in for a look and get dropped, and then the sun comes out, yes warmth this feels nice, and then it snowed, oh my again says l, by now it's about 14:00 and to say the least l'm cold, and the birds have upped and moved again, so better part of valour l pack it in there is always another day and better weather to be had.

Topped out with 25, plus 2 stolen so not all bad, when l popped into see the landowner he said in no uncertain terms that l need my bumps read, can't make him wrong but he's always happy with the pigeons that adorn his freezer.

ln all a good day was had but it was nice to get home.