New boots

getthegat

So I know it's early days, but I just thought I'd post up a bit about my new walking boots, in case anyone is contemplating buying a new pair. I got them from Go Outdoors, they are Hi Gear Snowdon leather, fully water proof and from the off were very comfy and with Merino wool socks they are warm (and I do suffer with cold feet). I've waxed them for extra protection and have worn them every day so far, driving to work then taking the dog around grass and cultivated fields, sometimes in the heavy frost, sometimes in the rain, I've done road walking, gravel and rock paths, in fact varying terrain and not once have I been uncomfortable or the slightest bit wet or cold. They were on offer, reduced from £120 to £60 with a further £10 off because I have a loyalty card. Quality seems good, so hoping for good long term usage.

All hi gear stuff is go outdoors own brand. Don’t know who makes the boots but the look about on par with the karimor boots. 

Ive tried cheap boots and the fell apart after a little moderate use. 

Depending on your use and care they may do you alright. 

18 minutes ago, figgy said:

All hi gear stuff is go outdoors own brand. Don’t know who makes the boots but the look about on par with the karimor boots. 

Agree. In the past had Karrimor & Hi Tec boots for dog walking & they all fell apart after 6 months or so, bought a used ( though they were as new) pair of fabric waterproof Le Chameau boots off marsh man  on here & they have been amazing, comfy as slippers & still waterproof & going strong. Having said that for my serious walking in the peaks I have a pair of leather Altbergs, incredibly well made & comfy, took some wearing in but highly recommended

26 minutes ago, Pistol p said:

Altbergs are proper. I got a used pair off of the auction site in excellent condition for £40 posted. This guy shifts plenty of pairs. You can not fault them.

The question is which guy?

I had a pair of Italian hiking boots many moons ago that were outstanding, but I wouldn't be paying hundreds for boots anything I ware regular on my feet tends to get battered either inside or out, only exception being  Dickie's heavea wellies I had, never leaked until I walked through sole lasted probably 12years before they should have been binned.

Since I’ve had solamon walking boots I don’t think I’d use any other, my first pair are about 4 years old and in that time they’ve been up Ben Nevis twice, Scarfell and Snowdon around 10 times not to mention lots of road walking, they’ve not been retired to my everyday work boots and I’ve purchased another pair for less than £100 from go outdoors as the tread has worn down abit but not totally I might add. I’d thoroughly recommend them they’re light weight and don’t require any wearing in before big walks 

20 hours ago, figgy said:

I have a pair of Karrimor quite similar looking to the Hi Gear in OP. £40 from Sports Direct, marked down from £80-£90 IIRC, had them 3-4 years now and very happy with them. Use them as 'smart' scruffy boots when I go to shows or field events (they clean up well), as well as their intended hiking. I'm really happy with them.

For shooting and working I bought a pair Highlander Elite boots as I prefer something which comes higher up the calf (Karrimor are maybe 5-6 inch, whereas these are 8inch) : http://www.military1st.co.uk/fot144-bn-highlander-elite-forces-boots-brown.html

Managed to find them on Amazon for £60. Only had them 3 months, but i am really impressed so far. I live in boots as much as I can at work - except for the worst of winter where I switch to wellies - so these will get a real workout once lambing starts. If they can stand up to farm work they can stand up to anything!!

Edited by Harry Callahan

2 hours ago, Harry Callahan said:

I have a pair of Karrimor quite similar looking to the Hi Gear in OP. £40 from Sports Direct, marked down from £80-£90 IIRC, had them 3-4 years now and very happy with them. Use them as 'smart' scruffy boots when I go to shows or field events (they clean up well), as well as their intended hiking. I'm really happy with them.

For shooting and working I bought a pair Highlander Elite boots as I prefer something which comes higher up the calf (Karrimor are maybe 5-6 inch, whereas these are 8inch) : http://www.military1st.co.uk/fot144-bn-highlander-elite-forces-boots-brown.html

Managed to find them on Amazon for £60. Only had them 3 months, but i am really impressed so far. I live in boots as much as I can at work - except for the worst of winter where I switch to wellies - so these will get a real workout once lambing starts. If they can stand up to farm work they can stand up to anything!!

How did these come up size wise. did you just buy your regular boot size ?

1 hour ago, Konnie said:

How did these come up size wise. did you just buy your regular boot size ?

The Highlanders? I bought my usual shoe size and they fit fine. I find them very comfortable.

If you buy a pair, check inside the boots first, though - along with the standard rolled up paper in the toes, my ones had spare insoles... I didn't notice until after I had forced my foot into the first boot and thought they were very tight!

11 hours ago, washerboy said:

Brand new altberg defenders from eBay £75 ????

I paid less than £60 Inc postage on eBay for my Altberg Defenders, brand new in box with tags, spare laces & different thickness spacers (insoles), approx 1 year ago, absolute bargain though I've never seen them that cheap again otherwise I would get another pair!

Edited by forestred