spooky landrover

ditchman

meant to get a new battery last year as this HD one was 9 years old (and it was 2nd hand) so ordered one up last week.....so i thought i would pick it up friday...which i did..................

driv downto Norwich......off to JSF...coming down the slight hill ...then turn the corner opposite JSF ....gently pull up on the pavment....................BANG...:no:.....and i mean BANG....it sounded like a 222.50 without a moderator...............:shoot:

Engine dies....smells a bit smokey.......................jesus wept...what the hell was that....couple of the lads came out from the tyre bay to see who got shot......and it made a passer by jump on the other side of the road...........sooooooo..........i lift the bonnet..............im there with my jaw dropped down.............

THE FUEL CUT OFF SOLENOID HAD "BLOWN" UP........blew the top right off and left a small dent in the underside of the bonnet on the steel strengthening...........WWoooowoooooooo  :crazy:

weird or what...........it was 30 years old so it didnt owe me anything....and if i had broken down on the ring road i still could have got it going ...by unscrewing it and removing the plunger ...but how nice of the Landrover to give up the ghost right outside JSF....anyway bought another one at £17.50...............good to go ........................

Glad your back on the road Ditchy, me not so happy.   Not as lucky as you. I have just had a full rebuild on both heads of my 4ltr V8, and it has been purring along nicely. Parked in the wood for a few minutes, went back started up and it is rattling like a bag of heavy 6 inch nails. Thinks little ends. Turn off and think about it a few minutes, decide to start it again and low and behold no noise just purring quietly as all V8s should do.  Drive home everything ok. Up in the morning and go to start and it begins to rattle again and obviously one or more of the cylinders not firing. Obviously something in the rebuilt heads is not happy.  Fifteen minutes later go out and it starts up fine , purring gently so I drive it straight to my local mechanic who arrange the rebuild.

He is as befuddled as me, because we could not get it to rattle again.... sooooo, check tomorrow and probably a strip down.  Thoughts, probably sticky valve or follower/s.

Land Rovers , don't you just love 'em?:yes::good::yahoo:

You need a lada, it only dies in the best places. Drove to the garage to get some work done and parked outside and went in then went to pull into the garage and the starter had totally given up, on another occasion the clutch fork snapped as i pulled into works car park.

did snap a balljoint pulling out of asda though and caused a bit of a traffic jam!