Slow on the Rape

pigeon controller

We had a call on Thursday informing us that the pigeons were on the rape, this is the same farm as we saw the birds last week and they just left the field. according to the temp in the car it was 2 degrees and I  was out ferreting following a plea from another Farm, I laid 100 purse nets and longnetted all around the bank for three rabbits and two bumped the purse nets. I rang the farmer and he informed me that it was shot the night before and they had 12, we offered to shoot the rabbits before and he said that the owner did not want guns shooting at night !!!!!!

The temp this morning was 5 degrees and drizzle ,we drove to the field concerned and saw approx one hundred birds in the trees but none down feeding, so we had a drive around to see if we could find any other birds around. The only ones were on clover in with the sheep  the total being approx fifty, as we drove back we saw another local shoot getting ready to start out. The plan was to set up and give it an hour and if no good move on to the sheep field. We were all set up for 09.00 and the first seven birds passing decoyed sweet as a nut. Then the other shoot started up and we had a few birds come to the decoys so we decided the stick it out WRONG it then slowed up and at 14.00 DB decide to walk to the end of the field and stand in a small wood and hope to shoot a few coming to roost and also send me some birds in the mean time. This worked and I started to shoot a few I packed up at 15.30 with the total being fortysix pigeon DB had a further twentyfive on the edge of the wood and shot till 16.30.

It was a drizzly dark day but the temp rose to 8 degrees as we left the field

100_3006.jpg

46 pigeons

11 hours ago, motty said:

All this talk of pigeon shooting is making me feel like I should go and do some. Haven't shot any for around 8 weeks.

Keep at them, Supertash.

You being a wildfowler, your thoughts on pigeon shooting are similar to mine , from around October I go from pigeon mode to fowling mode , your mind is still active concerning pigeon shooting but with wildfowling , darker days and the game season all rolling into one , pigeon shooting is in hibernation now and don't start waking up till the season finish and the roost shooting start .

2 hours ago, marsh man said:

You being a wildfowler, your thoughts on pigeon shooting are similar to mine , from around October I go from pigeon mode to fowling mode , your mind is still active concerning pigeon shooting but with wildfowling , darker days and the game season all rolling into one , pigeon shooting is in hibernation now and don't start waking up till the season finish and the roost shooting start .

That is a completely accurate summing up of how I operate. Pigeon shooting has definitely taken a back seat. I have done around 40 flights on the marsh this season, and I am enjoying it immensely!