Roll turn over

6 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Re the spinners fitted to a drill press. I agree, too fast even at the slowest pace, so I am at the moment putting together a fitment using the spinner but in a hand turned frame. Using a spare drill chuck to hold the spinner . The chuck on a rod through a couple of small bearings to a handle.  410 by the way.

I would like to see how you get on with this, 

Sorted metal for the frame this afternoon, doesn't look like rocket science. Drill a piece of steel rod to hold the cartridge firm and a couple of hinges.  Easier to mount the die in a small chuck so it can be used elsewhere if necessary. Busy killing squirrels for next few days so maybe next week before I have a result.

On 07/12/2017 at 07:43, Walker570 said:

Re the spinners fitted to a drill press. I agree, too fast even at the slowest pace, so I am at the moment putting together a fitment using the spinner but in a hand turned frame. Using a spare drill chuck to hold the spinner . The chuck on a rod through a couple of small bearings to a handle.  410 by the way.

All professional machines runs at 900 rpm, my slowest setting on the drill press is 700 rpm so, not entirely true.

To avoid burning them, just roll the hull in oil and reduce the time under the press.

On 07/12/2017 at 08:07, snow white said:

The wads are stil sitting on over card on top of powder so where does less space come in to it buy cutting them down .

if you're using plastic wad then the card should go in the cup rather then over the powder.  Doing so will impair the seal in the wad leading to as escapes.

The principle of the smaller shell is down to the height of the pellets column: the closer to the powder the higher the pressure so, in a 70 mm wad the column will sit higher than a 65mm hence the les space available and the increase in pressure

cheers

Source: 

Eley pamphlet for Series 80 powders -   " allow 9/32" case above the top card for both paper and plastic cases".

Turnover strength obviously depends on case mouth strength and wall thickness. A skived case mouth might give a weaker RTO e.g. Cheddite 3" 12g case. So ? trim to suit your needs?

• 2 weeks later...