This can’t be real, woman can try out for the SAS

Archie-fox

You can hide a lot of kit under a burqua. :good:

Seriously if they can pass the same tests as men, fine.

9 minutes ago, Alex C said:

But what if there are assignments which as a Unit the SAS could never do purely because they are men ? Does this not just add another string to the SAS's bow ?

I cant see them using women to yomp miles across the desert to fight a camp of insurgents then yomp back again. However using them in covert roles to wander a city armed to the teeth ready to blat terrorists might be right up there alley and being women much easier for them to blend in ?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

One woman has completed selection some while ago, the rules at that point precluded her getting in to the SAS.

She completed the same course and to the same speeds and weights that the male candidates do.

She's the only one so far!

If you are talking about Azi Ahmed, then she never did selection, she did a week of a taster course, and marched round the royal parks, she has written a book and touts herself on the talking circuit,but tells bigger porkies than Pinocchio 
She is a Walt of the highest order.No woman has passed selection.

4 hours ago, Lord Geordie said:

We had a few ladies joins the army with us! Believe you me! There are some women I would rather have my back than some men! One in basic training would NOT give in. Her determination was outstanding. Almost through the assault course in winter she fell off the apperatus and through the ice and was drenched. She got up and made her way back to the beginning and made the whole course again, completing it. She was bitter cold and soaked through, but never moaned, she would not quit. Her mentality and her cognitive skills were awesome. You could not stop the lass. Yes we had a few females drop out! but we also had men dropping out too. If they have the ability to carry out the tasks laid before them. The mentality to see the job done no questions, and the strength to pull their own weight, I have no problems. However! I do NOT think the training should be made easier for them. If they want into an elite unit! Then they should understand what the training entails. If they are game to step up and try! Then good in them. 

3 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

One woman has completed selection some while ago, the rules at that point precluded her getting in to the SAS.

She completed the same course and to the same speeds and weights that the male candidates do.

She's the only one so far!

LG great post, we had female recruits in our intake in the fire service 30yrs ago and the standards/requirements were not lowered then (sadly they have since). 

TC your post proves that a female can pass selection at the current criteria, so why make it easier.

dont get me wrong I’m not woman bashing, if they can pass the given criteria then fair play.

on a side note I served with some outstanding female firefighters that knocked spots of some of the manly men I served with.

1 hour ago, JimLondon said:

LG great post, we had female recruits in our intake in the fire service 30yrs ago and the standards/requirements were not lowered then (sadly they have since). 

TC your post proves that a female can pass selection at the current criteria, so why make it easier.

dont get me wrong I’m not woman bashing, if they can pass the given criteria then fair play.

on a side note I served with some outstanding female firefighters that knocked spots of some of the manly men I served with.

No woman has past Selection.

The SAS do a lot more than just lug heavy weights about.

It really amuses me these days when there's talk about what women can and can't do.

Just looking at the WW2 archive footage of the factories building tanks, aircraft, ammo etc and especially in SOE and resistance shows that women are an asset. I'm sure there's plenty in the Isreali army who I'd not take on in a pub fight.

Find  the right person to fit the role, end of.

When you get to only the top 99.9% of physical capability, generally speaking there are large physiological differeces between men and women, that's why men and women are split when competing at sport, you find a women who could for instance competitively compete against men in top tear sprinting or boxing, I don't understand this PC nonsense of not being allowed to state that men and women are different and are generally better at different things.

13 hours ago, Alex C said:

But what if there are assignments which as a Unit the SAS could never do purely because they are men ? Does this not just add another string to the SAS's bow ?

I cant see them using women to yomp miles across the desert to fight a camp of insurgents then yomp back again. However using them in covert roles to wander a city armed to the teeth ready to blat terrorists might be right up there alley and being women much easier for them to blend in ?

I'd agree but maybe this calls for a different special regiment working alongside that can have different selection criteria?

Is it not just that modern warfare is changing.conventional weapons are no longer the front line.air support was just that years ago for the troops on the ground.now wars are waged from the air and in some circumstances miles away from a ship in the ocean or even another country.some aspects of the sas work possibly could be better done by a woman.infiltration into some areas might be one.our armed forces are trained by experts in this field.so maybe best to leave it in their capable hands.

Edited by bostonmick

12 hours ago, welsh1 said:

If you are talking about Azi Ahmed, then she never did selection, she did a week of a taster course, and marched round the royal parks, she has written a book and touts herself on the talking circuit,but tells bigger porkies than Pinocchio 
She is a Walt of the highest order.No woman has passed selection.

She began selection training with one other woman in the (what was then) the territorials 23 ? SAS.
The whole thing was a publicity experiment by some PC general, and it was widely reported by the men on the course, that the women were given easier options within that selection process.
She never finished the  course, but stories vary as to why.

She says in her book that it was orders from above ect.
But many people say she couldnt cut it, the other woman dropped out sooner.

Either way she has used the experience to further her career and bank balance.
If you want  a laugh at Ms Ahmeds expense just google her Walter Mitty Hunters Club profile.

1 minute ago, bostonmick said:

Is it not just that modern warfare is changing.conventional weapons are no longer the front line.air support was just that years ago for the troops on the ground.now wars are waged from the air and in some circumstances miles away from a ship in the ocean or even another country.some aspects of the say work possibly could be better done by a woman.infiltration into some areas might be one.our armed forces are trained by experts in this field.so maybe best to leave it in their capable hands.

The top brass in the sas are not happy about it themselves though are they? Totally agree there will be other areas in the forces that women will be better, the sas isn't likely one of them.

57 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

The top brass in the sas are not happy about it themselves though are they? Totally agree there will be other areas in the forces that women will be better, the sas isn't likely one of them.

Would this be the top brass who many of are in the position because of family history and not capability. Remember the top brass as you call them were they not the ones who believed that sending thousands of men from the trenches into the path of waiting machine guns was the way to win the first world war.i think the top brass may not be quite as savvy as some of the lower ranks.

I'I pretty sure the top brass who sent men over the top are no longer in the forces, not to mention the man who set the special air service up definitely bucked the trend of his pears, they thought he was nuts and would fail, but we're going off course now, this is about women in the SAS and as a conventional SAS soldier I think it's an unrealistic idea for the reasons I've already stated.

56 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

I'I pretty sure the top brass who sent men over the top are no longer in the forces, not to mention the man who set the special air service up definitely bucked the trend of his pears, they thought he was nuts and would fail, but we're going off course now, this is about women in the SAS and as a conventional SAS soldier I think it's an unrealistic idea for the reasons I've already stated.

Yes I would agree that all those men are now gone.but a lot of their descendants are in equally high positions purely down to family history.if a woman passes the tests then fine let her join.there are a lot of men who fail to get in.if this idea does not work then it will be sidelined.no big deal.

1 minute ago, bostonmick said:

Yes I would agree that all those men are now gone.but a lot of their descendants are in equally high positions purely down to family history.if a woman passes the tests then fine let her join.there are a lot of men who fail to get in.if this idea does not work then it will be sidelined.no big deal.

But that's not the point, they want to lower the standard to let them in which is crazy, take a sport let' say boxing, do you think it would be a good idea to let women fight for instance AJ or Mike Tyson in his prime?