colour of clothing for after dark

islandgun

31 minutes ago, islandgun said:

Perhaps we should look at nature, both the prey and predators, they have evolved their colours to preserve their life, most are various shades of brown. rabbits/rats. fox/stoat, buzzard/eagle.

Barn owl/ seagull/ raven...:unhappy:

You could well be right islandgun ,  although to do any good at any species you are hunting you need to take an interest in there way of life and try and anticipate what they are going to do before they actually do it them selves , as for clothing , some of the American realtree coats would come pretty close.

Three birds spring to mind are ..... A Woodcock resting on the fallen leaves ,   A Nightjar on the ground and a Bitten sitting in a reed bed, I am sure there are plenty of others but these three I have seen in there natural environment and believe you me they take some seeing .

Red seem not to bother them at dusk. I've taken my son (he's 6 to) a couple of time flighting our pond and he was wearing his skying red jacket but ducks and geese flight over us without even noticing him sitting on the wee stool. One skein even try to land before seeing me swinging the gun...

I think it is to do with selective absorption very common in deep water whereby red colour is invisible at about 5 mt below surface.   In fact some of the monofilament used for fishing are red and so are some of the wet suits using for scuba diving and spear fishing.  But i might be wrong

Edited by Continental Shooter

On 04/12/2017 at 19:13, Dougy said:

Red is one of the colours difficult to see in the dark. There is some scientific explanation but I'm off out in a bit. It's got something to do with scotopic vision (seeing in the dark) and rods and cones. 

So there you have it, another bit of useful info from me. 

5 hours ago, Continental Shooter said:

Red seem not to bother them at dusk. I've taken my son (he's 6 to) a couple of time flighting our pond and he was wearing his skying red jacket but ducks and geese flight over us without even noticing him sitting on the wee stool. One skein even try to land before seeing me swinging the gun...

I think it is to do with selective absorption very common in deep water whereby red colour is invisible at about 5 mt below surface.   In fact some of the monofilament used for fishing are red and so are some of the wet suits using for scuba diving and spear fishing.  But i might be wrong

Thats two for red, had a quick google about least visible colour after dark and red was the most mentioned,  I have used a red filter on my head torch and T38 rifle mounted light for rabbits for the last year for no good reason other than it seemed right,  it would be interesting to see other peoples experiences 

7 minutes ago, islandgun said:

Thats two for red, had a quick google about least visible colour after dark and red was the most mentioned,  I have used a red filter on my head torch and T38 rifle mounted light for rabbits for the last year for no good reason other than it seemed right,  it would be interesting to see other peoples experiences 

The only item of Red I have got in this cold weather is my lugs and most of my nose , so part of my face should be nigh on invisible .:yes:

4 minutes ago, Stonepark said:

What ever the colour, camo still breaks up any outline, which is normally the recognition signal, light or dark.

I think in the majority of weather and light conditions , a camo coat would be as well as any, and better than most .:good:

48 minutes ago, Mice! said:

so does the red thing mean this colour could work? I did wonder why they did it.

wp_ss_20171213_0002.png.339223760bf1bb57cf5c3aa6b0aa142e.png

For animals which see in black and white, that orange/red and green appear the same shade, even though different colours, for those of us who can see in colour, it stands out a mile.

However in the dark most colour vision becomes less effective and you revert to a black and white type vision where shade and outline are more important.

I assumed the bright red was so that other hunters (america mostly) would be able to see you and that you didnt end up mounted on someones wall, could be wrong though, was down on my flashes tonight (in vain) and the thing that stood out the most was an old dry stone wall, starkly black

Edited by islandgun