Snatched from the jaws of defeat

GingerCat

My mega shooting weekend is finally over. I'm quite pleased actually as I'm exhausted. I've used up all my "banked" brownie points and lucked out. 

On Friday I went with Jdog and Clodhopper and had excellent sport in the freezing Wolds. On Saturday I attempted to return the favour on some nearby rape that the birds flighted over. Sadly Jdog couldn't join me as he was still frozen from the day before and although I was having a great day and picked about 15 for 20 birds I decided to cut it short and squeeze in one final day, today, with a friend of mine.  

Could I do three good days? The triple?

We met at the farm and he arrived before me, the plan was to shoot some stubble that I saw the birds using the day before, they however had decided to go elsewhere, another field of stubble near to where I was previously and some distance away. 

My friend who doesn't use this forum shall be called "Dave" for the purposes of this report. Dave had brought his work van. He offered to drive us down the side of the field and I duly loaded up my gear. Now Dave had walked this part of the field prior to my arrival so I didn't think to question if we would actually make it. It was after all a grass strip the farmer screams about on in his old disco.  Seconds later we were well and truly stuck. quite literally seconds later. Luckily  "Dave" he owns the company as the thrashing the clutch got was quite something. 30 minutes or so later we found a rope and I pulled him out. 

Disaster averted We decided to walk and about 60 or so minutes after our planned early start we found ourselves in the right field.  An old barley stubble that was harvested very late and has loads of grain all over it. This hasn't been used much by the pigeons who prefer the adjoining field. It banked up in front of use with a stream to our rear and woods both 600 yards behind and  in front The birds were flying between the two woods and dropping into a stubble field next door and we had also walked a good number off our field as we arrived, huffing and puffing with our kit. Now I have shot this adjoining field before but I  need to call the farmer first. We decided to have a go on our stubble field and there should be no reason the birds wouldn't use it. 

We set up and waited. and waited some more. So far things weren't looking great. The clutch was probably still smoking and the birds weren't playing, seemingly gone elsewhere upon our arrival. Time for a sausage roll and a think.

The problem was  the birds couldn't get in and those that came near were so high they saw us in the hide. "Dave" moved the hide back and I moved the rotary into the middle of the pattern, against all logic that said it should be where it was and then  altered the pattern a  little by making a hole near the rotary for birds to aim for.

This worked. We had 3 hours of great sport. The birds came from in front and dropped down a good 200 feet or so, closing their wings and falling like stones before putting the breaks on and trying to join the pattern. Now this pattern was far from ideal as they had difficulty joining but it didn't matter, they were within range, others joined from the right over another oak, they dropped in low and fast and a few came from behind and circled round before also trying the oak tree approach.

We ended the day with 35 picked for too many cartridges to count., a few more fell out of bounds in some thick sloe bushes and will feed the local foxes.  All those picked howefver are breasted out and in my freezer. Now time to have a break.  

Great read that GC, I can visualize them dropping like scuds trying to get into that pattern, never ever ceases to amaze me at the sheer agility of the old pigeon. Well done on your efforts, three in a row that great going. No such activities for myself at present and enjoy reading all the piggie posts.

atb

7diaw

I could think of a lot worse things on spending a weekend at this time of the year Ginger Cat , the clue might be spending:lol:.

Make the most of it while you are young and fit enough to do a three day weekend , when you get to my age two and three quarter days are more than enough .:yes:

Another first class post G / C and hope your next one is only a matter of days in coming .